IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini-Sprint, Moler Set-up Question
8/17/09, 9:24 PM   #1
Mini-Sprint, Moler Set-up Question
Phylo82

All you Mini-Sprint guys, do you have any recommendations for Moler? We have not run there yet but plan to go on Friday.

I am unsure about the gearing.....amoungst other things.

Any help you experienced racers could give us would be appreciated.

Thanks.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

8/17/09, 10:04 PM   #2
Re: Mini-Sprint, Moler Set-up Question
Bradleyracing86

Gearing is real close to north vernon, track is banked with multiple groves, shouldnt need alot of stagger..

It gets rough after the modifieds ( ruts) so dont run your pressures down too much... When it gets rough tellem to get on the wheel!!! Elbows up

-andy

8/17/09, 10:27 PM   #3
Phylo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Gearing is real close to north vernon, track is banked with multiple groves, shouldnt need alot of stagger..

It gets rough after the modifieds ( ruts) so dont run your pressures down too much... When it gets rough tellem to get on the wheel!!! Elbows up

-andy
Thanks Andy....I'll tell the boy to hit the weights this week!
#13e Maxim Sprint

8/17/09, 10:37 PM   #4
mini27

take 2 teeth off twin cites. stagger about same as lburg. start on blocks. ill be there friday,come ask me if you need more help.

8/17/09, 11:27 PM   #5
Phylo82

OK....now that I have your attention what does this mean:

The Bigger your REAR sprocket gets gives you more bottom end power. The smaller your rear sprocket gets gives you higher top end speed.
The smaller your FRONT sprocket gets gives you more bottom end power. The larger your front sprocket gets gives you higher top end speed.

When we ran Quarter Midgets (sorry, only form of racing I have any experience with) we always tried to run the largest engine gear possible. With the QM it was always about momentum and speed. It was peddle down.

So.....what's better in the Mini-Sprint world, a 16 x 51 (3.19) or a 15 x 48 (3.20)?
#13e Maxim Sprint

8/17/09, 11:50 PM   #6
slide22

I'm not really sure as that, but in any mini-sprint we've run the biggest gear we've run on the front is a 15, and thats only at Lawrenceburg. To me, it seems you would want as little on the engine as you can, but I may be wrong.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini-Sprint, Moler Set-up Question