IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
2/6/16, 9:45 AM   #21
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
racer5c

are they moving up at 15 because of their talent or because of their daddy's bank account? just asking

5 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, jjsprt92, kinser, PAW, PIT CART
2/6/16, 12:05 PM   #22
spicoli

USAC is not in the racing business, it is in the business of selling memberships. No more, no less. Like a health club, except members bring their own equipment.

A 15 year old can race? No problem for USAC or the promoter...15 year old can't drive himself to the track, he'll need mom and dad. That's three pit passes that just got sold, and at least two USAC memberships. Add in sisters and brothers and friends from school, those pit passes all add up. Up until little Johnny smacks the wall and gets hurt in front of mom, then we never see those people again, but their membership is good for the rest of the year!

We used to call them "mortgage monsters" because mom and dad would mortgage their house to fund the next Jeff Gordon.

2/6/16, 12:26 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
So can the younger drivers vote veteran drivers out for throwing steering wheels, throwing temper tantrums, fighting, or is that only right reserved for those who aren't young 'rebellious kids'
You sort of miss my point but I agree that goes on and that would be up to USAC.

Id consider it kinda like The Indy Rookie Test.

1 member likes this post: Mattmac05
2/6/16, 12:42 PM   #24
dirtracer74

The issue is times are different today. When I promoted, my insurance company said 16, with a valid drivers license. No exceptions. Today, these 15 year old kids already have 10 years of experience behind the wheel. Back in the day, you could not race anything till you were 18, sometimes 21. Now, there are SO many options. The experience level has changed drastically in the last 10 years, let alone the last 25.

I saw a few people that talked about the old times, and having to be 21, and stuff like that. I have a rule book here, that clearly states no women are allowed in the pits. Things change, it is part of life.

Not sure about the panel of drivers approving other drivers either. Then it turns in to the buddy-buddy system. The 15 year old Kinser with no experience would get approved before a 15 year old Smith that has been racing since he was 6.

Would you rather have that 15 year old that has been racing since 6, or the 21 year old who is in his first year? You need to take care of the poor drivers, regardless of age and experience level.

This is a tough deal, but things are very different today, than they were just a few years ago.

7 members like this post: fish, Jerry Shaw, Jerry Spencer, oneal7778, spicoli, tirespinner, TQ97
2/6/16, 1:17 PM   #25
Jerry Spencer

My worry would be at what age can these kids take a hard hit without doing serious damage to themselves? We waited till 17 partly due to the money and so that Josh's body was a little better prepaired for the big one.

Next deal is what if there is a mistake made how do you aproach the drivers trailer or do you deal with mommy and daddy? I have seen adults go in the trailer and then mom or dad argues with the driver until they leave then there little boy comes back out of the trailer.

Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Jerry #66j

4 members like this post: bighd0522, DirtHawk92, team3521, Tom23
2/6/16, 2:57 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I Guess the ones who replied to my Driver Panel didn't understand it or don't agree, That's OK. Just a Idea.

Most of the USAC guys, have raced with these kids at non USAC races ANYWAY. No Way out, MSCS, KISS or a weekly show. A simple majority vote is needed that they race clean and aren't a inherent danger to themselves and others.

But never-mind 15 it is. I seen kids 14 who's ability allowed them to swap the lead with some of the best and 35 year olds who never could.

Like others have said, some of em have ten years or more racing under their belt and while a crash in a sprint can be worse and harder, Its not always the case. You could flip a 600 or speedster the length of the straight. too.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/6/16 at 3:01 PM.

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, racemaniac
2/6/16, 5:46 PM   #27
Mattmac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I Guess the ones who replied to my Driver Panel didn't understand it or don't agree, That's OK. Just a Idea.

Most of the USAC guys, have raced with these kids at non USAC races ANYWAY. No Way out, MSCS, KISS or a weekly show. A simple majority vote is needed that they race clean and aren't a inherent danger to themselves and others.

But never-mind 15 it is. I seen kids 14 who's ability allowed them to swap the lead with some of the best and 35 year olds who never could.

Like others have said, some of em have ten years or more racing under their belt and while a crash in a sprint can be worse and harder, Its not always the case. You could flip a 600 or speedster the length of the straight. too.
I understood what you were saying, and I agree with you for the most part. I just kinda think there are some older drivers with an attitude problem. Well just about any driver develops an attitude problem if they trash 20k worth of equipment in some one else's wreck.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, spicoli, tirespinner
2/6/16, 7:02 PM   #28
Hamby812

I understand the concern to an extent but let's get serious. How many people will this affect? How many parents are now rushing to build a sprint car for their 15yr old kid? And I can assure you people lie about age, heck when I raced karts we would have several different birth certificates so we could run the $ class. I understand that these are much more dangerous but the bottom line is changing the age from 15 1/2 to 15 changes virtually nothing. Who is the youngster running one of the Amati cars? I can't recall his name but he seemed to hold a pretty decent wheel, how old is he? I just don't believe parents of 15 year olds are lining up to buy their kids sprint cars. I'd bet throughout the entire season you won't see 5 drivers 15 years old.

2 members like this post: Mattmac05, TQ97
2/6/16, 7:25 PM   #29
racemaniac

That would be Jadon Rogers. I believe he's around 14. Watched him numerous times last summer and he performed well without incident on the track. He will only get better.I know he didn't run any Usac events but faired well at the local tracks.
If a kid can drive then let him drive.

1 member likes this post: cj02
2/6/16, 7:47 PM   #30
tqracer65

What happens when kid under 18 gets punched? Let's say the kid goes to adults trailer starts swinging and adult swings back? Kid started it but since he is not 18 what is outcome of adult fighting back? Remember kid swung first and mom and dad told police. This was always my question when thinking about the age deal. Talent and money aside this has been my biggest question.
Brad

1 member likes this post: Mattmac05
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete