IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-8/14
8/10/15, 11:49 AM   #21
Re: Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-
staggerman

IRA and Wilmot is off this weekend. Someone should put some info out on the IRA and Wilmot Facebook pages to see if there is any interest

1 member likes this post: Spi-nex
8/10/15, 12:36 PM   #22
MIracing

I don't think you can blame low car counts completely on the size of the track. Let's look at the All Star race. That night they were up against IRA, MOWA for Illinois Speedweek, NRA, Attica, NSL and SOD (although at the same track a few of those guys might have run with the all stars if they had an off night). That is spreading the number of cars in the region pretty thin. It was also sandwiched between Kings Royal and Nnoxville Nationals.

Again car counts for the local shows, they are up against 3 other tracks on that side of the state running Friday nights.

There are so many variables night in night out to blame it completely on the track.

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Spi-nex
8/10/15, 1:02 PM   #23
SpfldMile

I made my first visit to Hartford a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I wasn't lucky enough to catch an open wheel show there, but really enjoyed the place. I love big tracks and Hartford is big. My kids even liked it, and they are tough to please.

1 member likes this post: Spi-nex
8/10/15, 4:05 PM   #24
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I made my first visit to Hartford a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I wasn't lucky enough to catch an open wheel show there, but really enjoyed the place. I love big tracks and Hartford is big. My kids even liked it, and they are tough to please.
Thanks for coming.

It's an interesting dilemma half mile tracks are put in (all half miles, not just Hartford). On one hand drivers tell you they will only come if the track is made smaller and on the other hand the people that already support you come because they love a track for the way it is.

If a half mile is struggling for FANS and CARS, then I suspect either a change in how things are promoted or changing to a smaller track to boost the car counts is an appropriate move.

At Hartford we aren't struggling for fans on the regular weekly shows. That's one thing I'm personally damn proud of is the amount of people we get consistently showing up week in and week out. Our weekly payout is second to none for our drivers. Hospitality second to none. Efficiency is top notch (with the exception of the Allstars which there were extenuating problems there behind the scenes).

Being in a landlocked state we're forced to depend on 1 state to provide cars and try to draw a few travelers from the south. Not a good position to be in, but it's the hand we are dealt. Places in Indiana, Iowa, etc are surrounded by states that make traveling easy.

I love Hartford for being Hartford. Big, gnarly, and fast. I'd love to bring in USAC and Silver Crown to do a real traditional style race if I could find a way to get enough fans to support an event like that, but too few people in Michigan know what USAC is or offers (which is a crying shame).

Like MIracing said... so many variables to consider. At the end of the day we're getting people, respectable car counts for a half mile, and we're making money as a business. There are a HELL of a lot of bullrings that would love to be in as fortunate of a position that we have worked to attain.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, i love dirt track racing, SpfldMile
8/10/15, 4:17 PM   #25
spicoli

We love Hartford, just the way it is. I'd be there to watch this Friday, but already had vacation planned. If sprints are run weekly next year (prefer non-wing) we'll have a car there.

8/10/15, 4:39 PM   #26
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Thanks for coming.

It's an interesting dilemma half mile tracks are put in (all half miles, not just Hartford). On one hand drivers tell you they will only come if the track is made smaller and on the other hand the people that already support you come because they love a track for the way it is.

If a half mile is struggling for FANS and CARS, then I suspect either a change in how things are promoted or changing to a smaller track to boost the car counts is an appropriate move.

At Hartford we aren't struggling for fans on the regular weekly shows. That's one thing I'm personally damn proud of is the amount of people we get consistently showing up week in and week out. Our weekly payout is second to none for our drivers. Hospitality second to none. Efficiency is top notch (with the exception of the Allstars which there were extenuating problems there behind the scenes).

Being in a landlocked state we're forced to depend on 1 state to provide cars and try to draw a few travelers from the south. Not a good position to be in, but it's the hand we are dealt. Places in Indiana, Iowa, etc are surrounded by states that make traveling easy.

I love Hartford for being Hartford. Big, gnarly, and fast. I'd love to bring in USAC and Silver Crown to do a real traditional style race if I could find a way to get enough fans to support an event like that, but too few people in Michigan know what USAC is or offers (which is a crying shame).

Like MIracing said... so many variables to consider. At the end of the day we're getting people, respectable car counts for a half mile, and we're making money as a business. There are a HELL of a lot of bullrings that would love to be in as fortunate of a position that we have worked to attain.
The way Hartford is run, along with the track size, people behind the scene, promoters / owners, support of the fans in the region is why I love it there so much.
It's a crying shame driver don't support the track more then they do.
The support from the fans is tremendous.
Every time I'm there the grandstands are absolutely pack.
For those that haven't been there the stands are HUGE and made of concrete.
The food is great, the Facilities are in good condition, and kept in shape.
I would love to see a huge open wheel show there.
Lets say USAC Silver Crown, USAC Sprints, the new National Sprint League vs IRA Sprints, and maybe UMP Modifieds.
That would be a spectacular show if it where to ever be pulled off and Hartford is big enough to do it.
The one thing I like about Hartford more then anything is they will do what ever it takes to get fans there and try their best to put on a show for the fans.
They know how to promote a race track period.

8/10/15, 5:12 PM   #27
duel

Any usac show in Michigan you don't see a lot of Ohio or Indiana plates on cars. That was pointed out to us a few years back when the promoter of I-96 told us to look in the lot. He did a lot of advertising and said he was upside down $20g's. Last time a couple of years ago usac ran Hartford the crowd was not great and some of the top cars stayed in Indiana. It would be nice to see some big shows there again. One of those bucket list tracks for sure. I for one hope the track stays a big half. I will be there Friday.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Spi-nex
8/10/15, 7:42 PM   #28
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
Any usac show in Michigan you don't see a lot of Ohio or Indiana plates on cars. That was pointed out to us a few years back when the promoter of I-96 told us to look in the lot. He did a lot of advertising and said he was upside down $20g's. Last time a couple of years ago usac ran Hartford the crowd was not great and some of the top cars stayed in Indiana. It would be nice to see some big shows there again. One of those bucket list tracks for sure. I for one hope the track stays a big half. I will be there Friday.
I was at the Hartford USAC show years ago. I specifically walked through the parking lot and remember counting 3 out of 5 license plates were Indiana.

8/10/15, 8:10 PM   #29
chop

If I remember right, the last time Usac was at Hartford it was a 2 day show that was rained out 1st night at 1-96. I was at the last Usac show at 1-96. It was a good race. but not a lot of cars or people. Berlin had a Silver crown race more then a few years ago, It was a midweek show that did not bring in a big crowd. (it was not a Usac show, but the club that tried to run them one year)

So this Friday we have sprint cars at Harford, I-96 and Spartan speedway.

I would like to see them try some type of Usac show in the fall when they put the dirt down at Berlin. They have had big crowds and good races for a really bad track surface.

8/10/15, 10:24 PM   #30
MIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Thanks for coming.

I have been to Hartford this year and I follow them on the social media and their website. My home track and any track would be fortunate to be run by the people of Hartford.

2 members like this post: Spi-nex, spicoli
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-8/14