IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
flatout (Offline)
  #1 12/19/17 8:51 PM
Just saw that Bob passed away today. Was always my favorite drag racer. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
15 Likes: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, jdull99, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, mc/rider, motorhead748, nathans1012, PIT CART, ronmil, Russ, smith19, spicoli, tmac39
nathans1012 (Online)
  #2 12/19/17 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by flatout:
Just saw that Bob passed away today. Was always my favorite drag racer. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
He Passed away on Sunday, December 17th. He lived next door to late model hall of famer CJ Rayburn in Whiteland, Indiana. Heard years ago that is where CJ Got the idea for a 4 link late model from Bob Glidden. As far as the NHRA goes for many years he led the NHRA in career National Event wins with 85 until John Force passed him about 12-15 years ago. I remember his nasty wreck in 1986 during the Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway in Atlanta, GA. Rolled 6 times after wind caught his parachute and the car veered left into the opposite guard rail. When He got out of the car he covered the manifold with his suit jacket. He had pioneered the Aluminum Manifolds and didn't let that secret out till years later. Remember some years back we where at CJ with friend having his car fixed and you could hear Bob playing next door and man did it get loud. He had a car on the dyno in his shop.

Here is How I will remember the NHRA Hall Of Famer and Legendary Pro Stock racer.
God Speed to a Drag Racing Legend and all around good guy Bob Glidden 1944 - 2017.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
22 Likes: 2fast4u, Bostonian, davidm, dirtbag, dirtinmynachos, flatout, illiNOISE, jdull99, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, mc/rider, motorhead748, nitrofunny, PIT CART, racefan20, racenut69, racer-x, ronmil, Russ, smith19, tim brown, tmac39
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 12/21/17 2:36 PM
I remember the epic battles between him and Warren Johnson!

Ron Miller
4 Likes: interpreter66, LUCKYONE, smith19, tmac39
Dave Thompson (Offline)
  #4 12/21/17 5:53 PM
Growing up around Whiteland it wasn’t an unusual sound to hear an engine screaming on his dyno.
Colin25 (Offline)
  #5 12/22/17 12:54 PM
Enjoyed talking with him on many occasions while being part of building his bird sanctuary out front. He loved those birds as much as he did racing.
410fuelinjected (Offline)
  #6 12/23/17 2:11 PM
Met him and his wife covering the Winternationals at Pomona back in the mid 70's. Great people and racers he will be missed.
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #7 12/23/17 2:59 PM
Man I liked it when he would beat warren Johnson,(then again I liked it when anyone beat warren). Always a class act
LB (Offline)
  #8 12/24/17 9:41 PM
If you watch the old videos, his cars launched so straight and even, too bad pro stock can't be like that today , rip Bob
2 Likes: interpreter66, nathans1012