IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
champcar50 (Offline)
  #1 1/11/09 6:14 PM
Years ago I used to race at sweet owen speedway. I tried to find a satelite view of the speedway to see what remains with no luck. Can someone refresh my memory exactly where was this track located. Is there any information on the web about it?
Thanks
Jack:confused:
jd1sprint (Offline)
  #2 1/11/09 6:29 PM
My Dad and uncle also raced stockcars there. I think storage units are there now. Here's what I found on Google Earth.
ajb6 (Offline)
  #3 1/11/09 7:08 PM
My dad also raced there. It's on SR 46 west of Spencer, IN.
SHORTBUS (Offline)
  #4 1/11/09 7:19 PM
Originally Posted by ajb6:
My dad also raced there. It's on SR 46 west of Spencer, IN.
I ALSO RACED AT SWEET OWEN IN ITS HAYDAY.LIKED THE TRACK BUT THERE WAS NOT MUCH ROOM FOR FANS OR PITS.
I LIKED IT WHEN YOU HAD 1 WET LAP & 1 DRY LAP FOR QUALIFIYING.
HAD A LOT OF FUN BACK THEN.STILL HAVE A COUPLE OF MY OLD TROPHIES LAYING AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE. :Steer
2 Likes: jim goerge, tirespinner
SamSr32 (Offline)
  #5 1/11/09 7:36 PM
Yes the good old days! I won many races and had some of the best times racing at Sweet Owen. That was the days of the $5 pit pass. Many great stories came out of Sweet Owen. I was not always a Sprint Car racer.
champcar50 (Offline)
  #6 1/11/09 7:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I raced there in 1973 and 1974 had lots of fun. I remember there was no crash wall except in front of the grandstand. I also remeber a guy hitting the end of that wall and realy pushing his face in. I went off the back strech there and rolled about 6 times during a heat race and ran the car in the feature. Oh to be that young again
Mark Sr (Offline)
  #7 1/11/09 8:28 PM
I ran there in a stock car in 74 I think.. I just remember going with a friend that was going to run.. made one lap and pulled off. he was so scared he wouldn't let go of the steering wheel for about 10 min's or so.. they asked me to drive so I did.. had a blast... If I remember right it was a 59 Stuewtabaker, ( I know that's not spelled right.. I was in to Drag racing then.. 18 I think... good time's....... cheep fun...:thumb
SHORTBUS (Offline)
  #8 1/11/09 8:52 PM
Originally Posted by champcar50:
thanks for the info. I raced there in 1973 and 1974 had lots of fun. I remember there was no crash wall except in front of the grandstand. I also remeber a guy hitting the end of that wall and realy pushing his face in. I went off the back strech there and rolled about 6 times during a heat race and ran the car in the feature. Oh to be that young again
i also did the dipsy doodle on the backstretch.about that many times for me also.my wife through her purse in the air & cleared about 5 rows of seats before anyone could get hold of her.
Them was the good old days.
babcock14d (Offline)
  #9 1/11/09 9:07 PM
you didn't want to go off turn 3, you were looking at the tree tops and it was a long way to the bottom!:Steer
SHORTBUS (Offline)
  #10 1/11/09 9:15 PM
Originally Posted by babcock14d:
you didn't want to go off turn 3, you were looking at the tree tops and it was a long way to the bottom!:steer
been there - done that --- also ran in that big assed hole just off the back stretch ---- ( ouch )