IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit, Who’s In!
8/3/23, 8:33 PM   #51
Re: High Limit, Who’s In!
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
What happened first? Did Indiana tracks go non wing or did the drivers leave?
I had a car back in that era and I remember the tracks going non wing, with one reason & maybe the biggest one was they could have a lower purse. One promoter you & I both know personally told me that wings were killing him & the NW guys would run for less. Heck and that’s still the case a lot of times, many times it seems a show that pays less will have a fair amount more cars than a competing race that pays more.

That's just it, I don't know. Staab told me when they went wing almost full time that in five years it would be gone, that most couldn't afford to do it. Some of the wing guys stayed running that way and either ran atomic or with the all stars. But by the all stars demise it seemed liek there was only a smattering of really good cars. Of course it was several years before that that Bloomington and burg went back to non wing. But we'd also gone from about 25-30 cars a show to sometimes only 9-10. When Staab took Burg back over we went back non wing. BAM in a year or two it was 35-40 cars again

It was so hot at one point under Mel that he's run against the Kings Royal for five or ten grand and have 35-40 cars how up. Wasn't a great crowd but we had great racing..

I may have seen the Golden Age of Both Wing and Non Wing. IDK. The top of both still put on excellent racing but fewer and fewer tracks are pulling big counts.

I know this, those who make it and last sacrificed a lot to get there. every extra penny, spare time etc is toward the racecar..

I Enjoy their talents. Many of the guys running at the rear worked just as hard to be there as the winners.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/3/23 at 8:36 PM.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, motorhead748, oldfan49
8/4/23, 4:35 PM   #52
Re: High Limit, Who’s In!
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I thought it was a good show. Perfect amount of cars to run an efficient show. Real good quality too. Real good crowd for a Tuesday night, though not as big as the July3 show or Sprint Week. Track was very racy. I have felt for a while that Justin Peck is the most under rated wing driver. Nothing changed my mind last night.
The comment I quoted comes from a die hard "Traditional" fan, as most of you know
Most of the comments here have been pretty open minded. Thats good
I prefer wingless from a pure racing standpoint, but here on the East Coast the vast majority of races are winged, so thats what I can see live. Taking care of my 100 yr. old Mom has drastically cut down on my travel, only races I've gone to this summer have been 2 Eastern Storm events & recent High Limit race at Grandview.
2 things: A)Some of the top wingless guys have "gone to the dark side", so I don't really care so much about who wins in USAC, enjoy the racing but not really rooting for anyone in particular. Plus its hard to see the numbers (Funk has called me out on this...) (B) In wingers, I root for The Posse or former wingless guys, which makes it interesting. Don't mind if Rico or Larson win tho, cause they're GOOD!
I hope High Limit continues, glad to see that most of the Hoosier fans enjoyed it!

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit, Who’s In!