IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mayor31 (Offline)
  #1 9/6/12 10:47 AM
Looks like Tony found a way to get those big 50/50s back at the track. Tracks half is going to the Tony Stewart foundation. With the World 100 this weekend, I've heard of those pots being up in the 25k range for the winners half on saturdays and 15k on the Fridays portion. and im sure the king royal pots are just as big. So haha to the drake county police dept. For stopping this a few years back.

Posted via Mobile Device
koolaid89 (Offline)
  #2 9/6/12 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by mayor31:
Looks like Tony found a way to get those big 50/50s back at the track. Tracks half is going to the Tony Stewart foundation. With the World 100 this weekend, I've heard of those pots being up in the 25k range for the winners half on saturdays and 15k on the Fridays portion. and im sure the king royal pots are just as big. So haha to the drake county police dept. For stopping this a few years back.

Posted via Mobile Device
Got a little history on this? It's the first I've heard of it..
mayor31 (Offline)
  #3 9/6/12 11:31 AM
On there Facebook page

Posted via Mobile Device
kingmod5 (Offline)
  #4 9/6/12 11:34 AM
I will vouch for Craig on this one. They got up pretty big years ago. Thousands of people buying tickets at a buck a piece. You do the math!
duel (Offline)
  #5 9/6/12 12:44 PM
I think part of it or all of it had to do with the track having a bar. I would think the i.r.s. would just stand there with their hand out and wait to collect from the winner.
mayor31 (Offline)
  #6 9/6/12 1:03 PM
That is what happened the last year they waited until they were ready to call the number and went and took all the money

Posted via Mobile Device
Gee2 (Offline)
  #7 9/6/12 1:14 PM
When we were in Knoxville the 50/50 was aroung 14k, one half went to the winner and the other to the track.. whats the difference at Eldora? Is it "STATE LAW"- Donnie Baker
2 Likes: derek odell, PIT CART
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #8 9/6/12 1:54 PM
I remember one year in the late 80's or early 90's the 50/50 winner at the Kings Royal paid more than second place in the race...think it was like $22k!

Tim Wolffrum aka cowboy

---------- Post added at 1:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:51 PM ----------

Originally Posted by duel:
I think part of it or all of it had to do with the track having a bar. I would think the i.r.s. would just stand there with their hand out and wait to collect from the winner.
I think there was some deal where the state or county said it was gambling and there was no gambling license.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
bigq11 (Offline)
  #9 9/6/12 1:54 PM
I was there for all those large pots. Don't remember for sure, but I think it was the ABC that was the problem. They considered the 50/50 to be gambling and that was not allowed where you had an alcohol permit. Earl fought as long as he could. It was either close the bar or stop the 50/50. Not a hard decision as Earl never made anything off the 50/50. The winner received half and the other half went into the driver's point fund. Apparently the other half going to a "foundation" makes a difference.
scottfor410 (Offline)
  #10 9/6/12 1:55 PM
I'm pretty sure half of Knoxville 50/50 goes to youth sports and other groups. The folks house I stayed at were selling them for Panther Youth Football.

Posted via Mobile Device