IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racefan20 (Offline)
  #1 1/27/23 12:34 AM
Saw this on FB on the Torgerson Racing page.

After a lengthy discussion with several different knowledgeable people the only plausible conclusion we all agreed on, was the belts velcro cover wasn’t velcroed exposing the latch. Once the car began flipping, it is believed the impact from the first rotation caused Ashton’s arm restraint loop on his race suit to catch and released the latch. He was not wearing arm restraints. Seems to be the result of a freak accident scenario where unfortunately all the “stars aligned.” If you’re not running with arm restraints we suggest taping the loops down to prevent them from catching on anything. We know there was no belt failure, belts are valid until December 31st 2024 and we know he was properly latched in at the beginning of the incident. Thankfully Ashton is recovering very well. He has another follow appointment next week, and we are hopeful that he will be back on the track in mid February or early March. While we can’t say thank you enough for the unimaginable amount of support and prayers, but we are ready to close this chapter and move on looking forward to a successful 2023 schedule where we will look to compete weekly in multiple states in either the 360 sprint cars or the micros. Hope to see ya at a dirt track near you!!

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
9 Likes: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, Rcar, ronmil, The Old Coyote, TQ29m
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #2 1/27/23 9:56 AM
I seen one triple crown winning driver mentioning the velcro and that he's never had a failure using it property. As a fan, I only have a vague idea of whats going on as the last time I strapped a driver in was about '89, As a racer and crew, I'd damn sure learn what they're talking about.

Be safe everyone, About ten things went right and a higher power looking out from above for Torgerson to survive that and to be able to race again.

Said it on FB and twitter that it would be great if some drivers posted what happened and why in their experiences as a "WHAT NOT TO DO " List. and how to do it right.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: Hubie48, JarrettFarms73, PIT CART, RACrappieman
berks co (Offline)
  #3 1/27/23 10:08 AM
A friend of mine who races told me many drivers Don’t know how to properly use and install arm restraints,
He said they have them to loose

Daniel Cohen
2 Likes: Grocery Guy, hairracer44