IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairbury???
9/25/18, 12:29 PM   #1
Fairbury???
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Cancels race a week and a half ahead of time and blames weather. Just when I thought I've heard it all. Guess they got cold feet on this one. Hopefully they don't bother scheduling open wheel cars at all next year and save us the hassle.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, ryan84, WinglessLovers
9/25/18, 12:42 PM   #2
Re: Fairbury???
ISF

Fairbury is our home track and we've been involved with a couple of competitors and spectated there for longer than I care to admit. That said, this does not surprise me. Open wheel cars are an afterthought in that part of Illinois and Fairbury caters primarily to the several iterations of mud cabs, thus this development does not come as a total surprise to those of us who know the place well but it sounds as if it came as a shock to Casey Shuman.

As much as I hope this hasn't poisoned the well for future open wheel events but I have a feeling it will. Too bad, Fairbury is generally well run and organized but this years' open wheel events have lacked a bit of track prep and the shows were a bit unorganized but we firmly attributed that to growing pains.

Something doesn't smell right, that's for sure.
Last edited by ISF; 9/25/18 at 12:44 PM.

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
9/25/18, 1:16 PM   #3
chathamracefan

This seems to be a very unFairbury like decision. I attend several of the big late model shows there & also have been to the WoO & Powri shows there in the past. The place usually is top notch in terms of organization & racing quality. Track did take rubber for the WoO show this summer. I kind of gave them a pass since it was the first time they had an Outlaw show.

I know there is a different race director this year vs last year when the Sprint Mania weekend started. Matt Curl, the previous director, now is the director for the WoO late model series.

9/25/18, 1:25 PM   #4
Midget98

Predicting weather and using that as an excuse is just shady. If the track didn't want to run the show, then be honest with everyone about why. Treating racers and fans as if they are stupid is no way to build a business. Either that or they have some truly amazing forecasting skills. Most weathermen can't get it right more than a day or two ahead. I'd love to see blue skies and warm temps the whole week and then see what their excuse is.

5 members like this post: dstensland, flagboy55, ISF, MIracing, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/25/18, 2:01 PM   #5
sprinter31

It is what it is, I as many of you, I was looking forward to running at FALS. Great track, but for some of us this has left a bad taste in our mouths. Probably wont go back! I know Casey is working hard to fill the spot. But the guy I feel sorry for is Kyle Cummins, this might just take 20 K out of his pocket. He has won two of the Bell triple crown races, so he doesn't get the shot at the money. I just wish some track would bring back non wing racing to Illinois as a weekly show. Tired of being on the road. I know Charleston runs but its 3 hours and we have ran there a few times. Might just have to break out the hog shed, get it back up on top of the car. LoL

2 members like this post: ISF, mscs20
9/25/18, 2:12 PM   #6
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

From what I was just told. The show may not have worked. From one track official who was at LaSalle Saturday. She heard most teams there said they where going to kokomo that weekend and that would kill the car count at Fairbury.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/25/18, 2:25 PM   #7
sprinter31

Most of the WAR Regulars don't run USAC, but a few guys do crossover, Oh well most of us will never know the real reason. LoL

3 members like this post: flagboy55, ISF, jim goerge
9/25/18, 2:29 PM   #8
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter31 View Post
Most of the WAR Regulars don't run USAC, but a few guys do crossover, Oh well most of us will never know the real reason. LoL
Agree. Look at the entry list from the first two legs of the Bell Triple Crown. The only ones I see that you even see part time at Kokomo are Cummins, Landon Simon, Colten Cottle and TMez.

That said, Casey said he is hard at work trying to fix this situation as well is Bell.
Last edited by Nate; 9/25/18 at 2:31 PM.

9/25/18, 2:54 PM   #9
jim goerge

Should run the race at Haubstadt since WAR is going to be there anyway racing MSCS

9/25/18, 6:17 PM   #10
bmemmer

Should run it at kokomo. Same weekend. Means the same drivers have the chance to win.

5 members like this post: 3Cfan, farriswheel, flagboy55, Jerry Spencer, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairbury???