IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bigger?
11/2/18, 3:56 PM   #11
Re: Bigger?
Rpracing1

Didn't know there was a car count issue? All you need is 20 or so?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, jim goerge, kendirt
11/2/18, 4:33 PM   #12
lilrim

Yup & we still show up... 🤷*♂️
chilibowl has paid 10k to win for how long..
silver crown in the 80s paid more to win than now.
#itsAboutTheTrophy

4 members like this post: K92, Ken Bonnema, Racer12, wingedsprint47
11/2/18, 9:55 PM   #13
Cobra 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerster View Post
I don't understand how changing the engine specs and obsoleting everything currently in use will help the car count.

If a $40k midget engine has 390+hp..why would those teams be worried about a $2k 350hp engine?

Put a $3k claimer to stop the spending on the bigger cube engines.

Not sure why you think it would obsolete anything except for the outrageous engine cost?

11/3/18, 10:48 AM   #14
K92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
If a $40k midget engine has 390+hp..why would those teams be worried about a $2k 350hp engine?

Put a $3k claimer to stop the spending on the bigger cube engines.

Not sure why you think it would obsolete anything except for the outrageous engine cost?

Show me a midget engine legitimately making 390+ HP and I will show you ocean front property in Arizona!

you are

11/3/18, 11:45 AM   #15
The Old Coyote

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
11/4/18, 9:38 PM   #16
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Didn't know there was a car count issue? All you need is 20 or so?
Everybody makes the feature then! (which is good, cuz everyone that shows up gets the feature $!) ...but ya, I ran B-mains at Angell Park for a few years...never knew anyone cared about them, until they didn't have them; THEN (...there were more the last year or two, I'm not gona go back & count how many...lol); & people talked about how they missed them (meaning that was kinda cool that people liked them/did care about the B-main. Not saying anything bad about if there is or is not one at any track/sanctioning body, just my observation in regards to car counts being around 20 or so).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

11/5/18, 3:02 AM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Everybody makes the feature then! (which is good, cuz everyone that shows up gets the feature $!) ...but ya, I ran B-mains at Angell Park for a few years...never knew anyone cared about them, until they didn't have them; THEN (...there were more the last year or two, I'm not gona go back & count how many...lol); & people talked about how they missed them (meaning that was kinda cool that people liked them/did care about the B-main. Not saying anything bad about if there is or is not one at any track/sanctioning body, just my observation in regards to car counts being around 20 or so).
Agreed... heats have less meaning too if everybody makes the A

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/5/18, 9:27 AM   #18
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerster View Post
I don't understand how changing the engine specs and obsoleting everything currently in use will help the car count.
Maybe instead of changing the specs on the engines per se, why not allow an alternative engine package like a low comp V6? Then add weight to the "Hot" 4 banger cars as needed... Just spit balling.

11/5/18, 11:40 AM   #19
Unlucky#9

What if, instead of increasing the cubic inches, they increased the volumetric efficiency of the production based engines via turbo/supercharging?

11/5/18, 3:01 PM   #20
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky#9 View Post
What if, instead of increasing the cubic inches, they increased the volumetric efficiency of the production based engines via turbo/supercharging?
I wasn't going to do this, and I know I'll get burned, but my feelings on the D2 midget, is first of, come up with a better name, do kinda what Montpelier is doing, and make it a kinda run what you brung class, as long as it is an engine out of a production passenger car, 4 cyl, stock block, no bigger than 2.5l, no bigger than .030 over, stock stroke, but allow rods, pistons, valves, springs, cams, port work, mostly what a guy can do on his own, no race based engines, possibly the older ones, but I've done some research on this, and I've built a 2.0 for less, a lot less than 5k, which is in the ball park for a good, competitive midget engine, IMHO. Plus, look a bit closer at the pay out, get it at least as much as the Tq's and mini's pay, when I was a lot younger, a long time ago, midgets were all the rage, because they provided the entertainment that people were looking for, they were a lot less costly than most other forms, and a good team could stuff some $$ in their pocket for an evening of fun, I don't see how owners can justify the cost of the National engines, plus the costs of the cars, it simply doesn't calculate for me, and evidently many others. I think in the hands of the right people, this could happen, I never did like "stock" classes, have you ever had to tech a "stock" engine, it isn't pleasant. Make it easy, or KISS if you want, and you might just get surprised. Just my thoughts.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bigger?