IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairbury???
9/25/18, 6:25 PM   #11
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemmer View Post
Should run it at kokomo. Same weekend. Means the same drivers have the chance to win.
Best idea yet!

3 members like this post: bmemmer, flagboy55, Jerry Spencer
9/25/18, 6:28 PM   #12
Re: Fairbury???
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter31 View Post
Most of the WAR Regulars don't run USAC, but a few guys do crossover, Oh well most of us will never know the real reason. LoL
This is just a guess, I think they were thinking wing cars.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/25/18, 6:40 PM   #13
Kydehart

Would've been nice if they hadn't lied about it. They could have just said, we feel Kokomo will take cars, (whether winged or non wing) and we don't want to run the race. That's basically what they've come out and said now after they got called out for their lie.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, MIracing
9/25/18, 7:34 PM   #14
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter31 View Post
Most of the WAR Regulars don't run USAC, but a few guys do crossover, Oh well most of us will never know the real reason. LoL
USAC is in Missouri that weekend

9/25/18, 7:46 PM   #15

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I don't see hardly any(if any) IRA MOWA or Wisconsin wingless guys going to Kokomo instead. Not sure about Powri War. as previously mentioned maybe a handful. And what's the conflict Friday? Car counts shouldn't be the reason. Attendance concerns? Something local going on causing the track to shut down for the season no matter who is running?

Whatever the reason it is disappointing I was planning on attending and have been telling others about this place.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
9/25/18, 9:15 PM   #16
ISF

This is posted on the main page of the Fairbury American Legion Speedway website:

"Fairbury American Legion Speedway officials along with all parties invested in the Sprint Mania Weekend have made the tough decision to cancel the event scheduled for Friday October 5th & Saturday October 6th. Future weather forecasts indicate wet weather which has ultimately cost the ability of the weekend to have the best chance for success. POWRi WAR Sprints along with a combination of IRA and MOWA were on the card for the running of the second annual event and will now turn their focus to their respective season ending races."

This has to be the damnedest reason anyone has ever heard of for cancelling an event. Not very believable at all. Fairbury has built a reputation over the past half dozen years or more as being a first rate facility run by first rate people. That rep definitely comes into question given what appears to be a total cop out at best and an out and out lie at worst. Fans, participants and open wheel sanctioning bodies alike will be hard pressed to trust FALS going forward. Whatever precipitated this whole fiasco had better have been worth it to FALS 'cause their reputation has taken a serious hit.

Here's the Fairbury American Legion Speedway forum website address if any of you want to login/register and let them know what ya' think of this move. This forum is part of FALS's official website.

http://fairburyspeedway.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0
Last edited by ISF; 9/25/18 at 9:19 PM.

9/25/18, 10:23 PM   #17
Jonr

Perhaps on the same card as the WOO at Lakeside on Oct 19? Most of the regulars are still based out of Kansas City.

1 member likes this post: btg1963
9/25/18, 10:27 PM   #18
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Complete BS excuse. Bloomington didn’t call the Kinser memorial until late afternoon even tho weekly forecasts were almost 80-90% rain. Have yet to see a forecast that predicts weather a week and a half in advance. Even tho we don’t believe excuse, those that were going to attend better be glad they called it early and not wait the day before. Gives you the chance to go somewhere else.

9/25/18, 10:34 PM   #19
btg1963

I think many of you are giving Kokomo too many props here. Just a few questions here....

1) Has Kokomo ever hosted a WAR race?
2) Wasn’t the intention of the bonus to showcase three of the best WAR tracks?
3) WAR has run the first two legs of this challenge against some pretty big shows. Car counts were fine at each. Why would running against Kokomo be a problem?

I wonder two things that make more sense to me.

1) I wonder if the IRA’s group and possibly MOWA is hesitant to run at a facility with an opening in the wall going into a turn after two fatalities in two months?
2) I wonder if Bell is footing the entire $20K bonus or if the tracks had to contribute?

9/25/18, 10:46 PM   #20
kdobson

To answer question number 1 btg1963. No.

Speaking for MOWA, there were a few unsubstantiated rumblings coming out of LaSalle Sunday about this being a possibility... through the day Monday the noise grew a little bit. We (MOWA) got pretty solid word late Monday night. I'm not taking sides here or stirring - but just trying to answer your question. I can say there was no involvement from MOWA or IRA in the decision to cancel this.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairbury???