IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #1 4/10/17 2:22 PM
http://www.courierpress.com/story/sp...ars/100053898/
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, hoosierhillbilly, i love dirt track racing, mc/rider, mlamb, ronmil, WinglessLovers
ronmil (Offline)
  #2 4/10/17 2:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this. It is not in the print edition and I forget about reading the online edition.

Ron Miller
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #3 4/10/17 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
Thanks for sharing this. It is not in the print edition and I forget about reading the online edition.
Ron, you're welcome. That print edition is worthless IMO , since it is printed in Louisville.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #4 4/10/17 5:07 PM
Nice read about nice people
6 Likes: Dirtfan, i love dirt track racing, oppweld, ronmil, Rpracing1, WinglessLovers
Danny Rowe (Offline)
  #5 4/11/17 4:21 AM
I've never been to the track at Kokomo but, understand it's a nice track too ! I've been going to Tri-State since long before I went into the service in 1966. I've seen many great races there and tons of talent displayed. I've had many good friends who either drove there or were car owners there. Still love it and plan on being there this Saturday night 04/15/17 weather permitting (have my fingers crossed. My two favorite events there are Indiana Sprint week and of course "The Haubstadt Hustler" !
3 Likes: Dirtfan, ronmil, Rpracing1
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #6 4/11/17 6:58 AM
Finally made it there this past summer and sure glad I did, certainly lives up to the title of the class track! Reminded me of the old Sante Fe if it had banks. May have been the best surface I've ever seen. Congratulations to the Helfrich family on 60 years of operation and I wish them all the best going forward. Looking forward to my next visit!
4 Likes: Dirtfan, i love dirt track racing, ronmil, Rpracing1
ronmil (Offline)
  #7 4/11/17 2:24 PM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
Ron, you're welcome. That print edition is worthless IMO , since it is printed in Louisville.
The article appeared today in the print edition on the front page of the sports section. Nice full color picture of Tommy and DW as well as a black and white photo titled race day 1959. The car featured in the picture is a '49 Plymouth fastback with a modified 1957 Plymouth Golden Commando engine, caption says 361cc, (obviously they mean 361 cu. in.). Listed as a V8/bored/balanced/ported and relieved. Car was known as the Grey Ghost. I don't remember seeing that car. I was in college and also working full time at my dads service station, so I didn't get to go to the races during that period of time.

Ron Miller