IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An incited to D-II racing
6/22/15, 1:38 PM   #1
An incited to D-II racing
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Wayne Davis
Founder of Division II Midget Racing

NSSN: How long have you been doing this?

DAVIS: Racing or promoting?

NSSN: Involved in racing to start.

DAVIS: Well I'm almost 60 years old and have been going to races as early as I can remember '59-'60. Been at it in some shape or form all my life. Started driving since a I was 16.

NSSN: What made you start promoting?

DAVIS: As a racer and raced just about everything there is I felt there was no need to prove anything and wanted to further my son Darrin's racing, but I wanted to do more than just own a car, I wanted to use my experience I had to help the little guy. Have a set of rules that is affordable for the average working man.

NSSN: So you started Division II midget racing?

DAVIS: Yes back in late 2010?

NSSN: So you been at this for 5 years, yet this is still fairly new?

DAVIS: It is. Remember there was no (0) non wing anything racing in Florida. 2011 USAC brought the sprints down for 3 days and that was all we had here. My love and passion is non wing sprints but with Florida being a "winged" state and sprint cars was not financially affordable I wanted to go midget racing but there is no midgets in the state of Florida or the south.

NSSN: D-2, where did that come from? Tell me about it.

DAVIS: First of I started this out strictly as a "mini sprint/lightning sprint" series, non wing chain driven motorcycle powered cars with 13" tire and bigger chassis's than what the ones already racing here in Florida (FMSA). Of course that was very confusing to the fans so after 2 years so I changed the cars name to midgets and started allowing true midget cars to race.

NSSN: When you say "TRUE" midget cars are you saying the cars the run USAC/POWRi/ARDC?

DAVIS: Yes and no.

NSSN: I'm confused!

DAVIS: The exact same chassis but different less powerful engines. The Ford Focus (USAC) is one of their non national series that run the 2.0 zetec engines and out in Oklahoma they were racing Chevy 2.4 ecotec engines then up in the northeast they raced lightning sprints and Quad 4 engines. Thanks to the internet I did alot, I mean alot of research before I wrote my rules in 2013.

NSSN: So you had the foresight to see all these different car configuration was close to the same and could be compatible with each other.

DAVIS: Yes I did but I did not want to use names like "lightning" "mini" "sportsman" I wanted a name that would define EXACTLY who and what we were. DIVISION II Midgets was it. We do not use anything from a sprint car on our cars, everything including the motorcycle powered cars use midget parts. There are like 4 different motorcycle powered chassis builders that are buying a standard midget chassis and converting to MC power.

NSSN: Division II seems like a very good name that does not label these cars then.

DAVIS: Exactly, people (race fans) can associate with D-2 and know that this is a true midget just like the D-1 National Midget cars of POWRi/USAC/ARDC. Again we are the same cars as you see at the Chili Bowl except with less expensive engines.

NSSN: Engine cost seems to be a main factor in all of racing, so what is D-II doing to curtail the cost?

DAVIS: Our rules are written so you have to use a stock configuration engine. Another words NO purpose built race engines. Stock block/heads/crankshaft/bore and stroke. No larger than 2.4 (146.861ci). This drives the cost of engines way down and reliability way up. For example I have one engine in a car that has a salvage yard engine. All I did was unbolt all the bolt on exterior parts (intake/exhaust/pulleys/ect) then replace the rod bolts, oil pan, injection, pumps and headers for the cost of a used engine ($425.00). There are engine builders out there that you can buy complete engine and as far as MC engines you can buy them from $1500.00 to $2500.00.

NSSN: Total package cost?

DAVIS: Cost wise? New under $20,000.00 complete race ready. Used, anywhere from $4000.00 to $12,000.00, depending on age and condition, with or without spares.

NSSN: That sure sounds affordable. So what does the future look like for D-II midget racing?

Davis: BRIGHT!! Remember we are in our infincy stage. After a very successful winternationals race I promoted called the Gator "DIRT" Nationals in Feburary, we, the Southern States Division II Midget Series has now joined forces with Kenny Brown's Lucas Oil POWRi Midgets. Kenny and I have been talking since Nov. 2014 and we both see the need for this series across the nation. Nothing will ever take place of the "NATIONAL" midgets but there are many that can not afford to race one but they love the idea of an affordable midget program such as D-II. Kenny and I along with other series out there will be meeting in Dec. at the PRI show to go over rules and talking about this becoming a National Series through the Regional series. Another words with just what is already in place with the SSMS (Southern States Midget Series) Southeast Region, OMS (Outlaw Midget Series) Northeast Region, MWMS (Midget West Midget Series) Midwest Region and two other regions not yet to be detmined this will become a national type of series. Each series will have one national race during the season that will add to your regional points and a national champion can be crowned as the Division II Midget National Champion in 2016 at the POWRi banquet.

NSSN: Sounds like this is going to be a very successful series with a very bright future. Racing needs more people like yourself Mr. Davis that see's the future of midget racing and trying to do something about.

DAVIS: I appresiate the kind words, but it's not just me, it's the racers out there. The ones that spend their hard earn moneies to come race. Many have quit because of it not being affordable. Division II midget racing was created just for those guys and gals.

NSSN: We wish you all the luck and success with the Division II Midgets.

DAVIS: Thank you very much and I ask all that reads this, we can not do this without you so this weekend please go out and support your local track.

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: davidm, MidwestD2Midget
6/23/15, 4:12 AM   #2
Re: An incited to D-II racing
jdull99

Did I read this right? "...then replace the rod bolts, oil pan, injection, pumps and headers for the cost of a used engine ($425.00)..."? $425??? Can u break that down? Rods reconditioned? Bearings? Rings? Gaskets?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

6/23/15, 12:01 PM   #3
Re: An incited to D-II racing
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Did I read this right? "...then replace the rod bolts, oil pan, injection, pumps and headers for the cost of a used engine ($425.00)..."? $425??? Can u break that down? Rods reconditioned? Bearings? Rings? Gaskets?
Jason all I did was replace rod bolts with ARP bolts for $68.95...no bearings/rings/gasket/valve job ....just like it came from the salvage yard...bolted on the injectors, headers, oil pan ...the rest of the stuff I have from the blown engine...may I add the reason it was blown was cause of a "WRENCH" (me) error.... I installed one of the pop offs backwards and washed the bearings out of it....This engine has 9 races on it and runs up front.

Wanted to prove a point that you can do this on a low budget and I think I have....2 weeks ago one of the ecotec guys blew an engine...bought a salvage yard engine for 450.00 and ran 4th Sat. night at GIS....yes it can be done

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An incited to D-II racing