IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
terrehautian (Offline)
  #1 10/2/09 4:48 PM
GEt well travis.
ByronMack (Offline)
  #2 10/2/09 5:06 PM
Originally Posted by terrehautian:
I don't know if I should post this, so if it shouldn't....I will take it down. I didn't shoot this, I found it on youtube via facebook.

Again, if this should be taken down, I will or a mod has my permission to.

Get well Travis.
It should probably be taken down out of respect for the family members. Get Well soon Travis
Posted via Mobile Device
terrehautian (Offline)
  #3 10/2/09 5:10 PM
That was my thinking, but I went ahead and posted it....it is gone in my post.
sprintgal (Offline)
  #4 10/2/09 5:10 PM
I agree it probably should be removed. If you look at the comments under the video on youtube, the family of Travis has had several people to sign in and ask for it to be removed, but the 15 y/o kid who posted it, has yet to do so.

Sorry, I didn't get my post in before you removed it...thank you.
ByronMack (Offline)
  #5 10/2/09 5:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

I can't seem to edit my post and remove the video, I only have a mobile device, so if one of the moderators could remove it I woul appreciate it. thnx
Posted via Mobile Device
nowitsdark (Offline)
  #6 10/2/09 6:22 PM
first of all I would like to offer my thoughts and prayers to the Rutz family.

I don't want to start a furor but would like to comment about the uTube video. In the times that we live anyone with a camera can qualify as "media." The footage was taken at a public event where (presumably) video taping was allowed by the venue. I don't know what THAT policy is on such things but I am guessing that they do not prohibit picture or video recording. The video is a document of what happened; I know that THAT would likely want to see any and all video of the accident to evaluate exactly what happened and why it happened. For that matter anyone involved with operating sprint car events could benefit from seeing the video.

Why did the disabled car continue at speed for more than a lap? Why did he or she stop in the racing line on the front stretch when other options were certainly available? When did the yellow light come on and was it visible to the approaching cars in a timely manner?

I know that most will probably disagree with my evaluation and defer to the families wish to have the video removed but as a document of the accident I believe that it can serve as a point of discussion on safety in future sprint car events.

Godspeed to Travis and his family and get well soon.
3 Likes: buck2, Motormasher, SUPERDUKE
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #7 10/2/09 6:50 PM
I seen the wreck on u tube! What was mr gravel thinking????? The 2 laps showed him smoking and running the botton even on the front straightaway then when the engine blows he pull up in the middle of the front straightaway and stops at the flag stand! Not good!!!!!!!!!!!! And all hell breaks loose!
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #8 10/3/09 10:33 AM
I know one thing......If you don't like to hear people cheering because the cars crashed, then don't watch this video. Some idiot was pretty excited about the whole thing.

Very poor decision by the guy who broke the motor and a very hard crash.

A driver should be suspended and fined for making such a bad decision. In my opinion. That is rules of the road basics 101. Not saying he is a bad guy or even a bad driver, but obviously has some things to learn.
2 Likes: ColoradoFan, SUPERDUKE
bigmojo5
  #9 10/3/09 11:45 AM
I don't really see the problem with the video. It shows what led up to the crash and stops immediately after. Most of the actual crash portion of the video shows very little of the crash between Rutz and Gravel as the videographer over reacted. It answers my questions about dust, (not as bad as I had been led to believe), the path of the disabled car and how badly the safety fence was damaged (again, not as bad as I had been led to believe).
It shows nothing that is graphic or in poor taste. That would have been very different.
Jim Morrison
popham (Offline)
  #10 10/3/09 12:37 PM
I was there and watched the whole accident happen, I hope Travis gets well soon. When the race started the dust was very bad, those of you familar with Tere Haute, the wind was from the south and when they had a yellow flag at the start of the feature you could not see any of the stores around the mall. However, the dust did blow off quickly and the track got black, so the dust was not an issue towards the end. When the leader's engine started smoking it was as bad as I have ever seen, but he kept going probably thinking he was near the end of the race and I am sure his face shield was covered with oil. I was up high in the turn four bleachers and his last lap he was against the guard rail down low slowing down as he went by. He went past the west entrance to the infield and as he got down by the flagstand he moved towards the center of the front straightway and the rear wheels locked up and he came to a stop for a couple of seconds before the crashing started. I think they said he was sixteen years old, I don't know if he could see because of the smoke and oil, and he probably did not know where to get off the track. I have been to alot of races and this was one of those that you just knew there was going to be something bad happen. Hope all envolved get well soon.