IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ranger aircraft engine?
8/12/18, 3:48 PM   #1
Ranger aircraft engine?
TQ29m

Anybody ran across any or any parts for one lately, I've had 3 over the years, let them all get away from me. I just recently bought the 4th one, and although it looks pretty complete, I have an idea I'll be looking for something, like to get one in a race car while I still feel like it. Bob

8/12/18, 5:52 PM   #2
Re: Ranger aircraft engine?
Backitin

Id imagine it has to be installed in a winged car otherwise the idea would never take off.

4 members like this post: GlobalSpeedway Tours, Tony74, TQ29m, Unlucky#9
8/12/18, 6:21 PM   #3
TQ29m

Oh it took off okay, late 40's, early 60's, bad mammy jammers, Google it, get surprised! Hilborn built 15 sets of injections for them, and the first 3 sets went to Diz Wilson.
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/12/18 at 6:36 PM.

5 members like this post: DAD, luckybuc97, motorhead748, Speedwrench, tirespinner
8/13/18, 5:49 PM   #4
racer5c

if you are on facebook I can get you in contact with a friend of mine that has one in a vintage race car

8/13/18, 6:37 PM   #5
Turd Ferguson

https://www.vintagesprintcars.com/20...d-sprint-cars/

I assume you've seen this article.

4 members like this post: LJC77, luckybuc97, meteorman, TQ29m
8/13/18, 7:24 PM   #6
bigq11

I remember seeing someone run a sprint with a ranger engine at the old Mitchell speedway in Mitchell Indiana a very long time ago. I was very young and mostly just remember the different sound. An earlier poster mentioned Dizz Wilson who was from Mitchell. I don't remember if the car was school bus yellow or not.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
8/13/18, 8:59 PM   #7
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
I remember seeing someone run a sprint with a ranger engine at the old Mitchell speedway in Mitchell Indiana a very long time ago. I was very young and mostly just remember the different sound. An earlier poster mentioned Dizz Wilson who was from Mitchell. I don't remember if the car was school bus yellow or not.
If it wasn't school bus yellow, it was probably school bus orange. I think Dizz had a supplier inside the plant in Mitchell that built them.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
8/13/18, 11:21 PM   #8
trackprep

Race Count This Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Anybody ran across any or any parts for one lately, I've had 3 over the years, let them all get away from me. I just recently bought the 4th one, and although it looks pretty complete, I have an idea I'll be looking for something, like to get one in a race car while I still feel like it. Bob
I've got a complete crankcase with crank/ rods. Keep me in mind. Not wanting to get rid of it now but that can change hourly. But can be persuaded with midget parts

8/14/18, 8:49 AM   #9
TQ29m

No, but I have now, thanks for posting it. There is also a book out, on line, was called Quarter Monthly I think, out of business of course now, but it was a hard back really nice book, that had lots of info on just old cars, lots of good pictures, really worth looking up, friend of mine put me on it, a friend of his from Bedford wrote for them, and in one issue, he has several pages about the Ranger, Dizz Wilson, lots of pictures, I got mine off eBay, then he wanted one, so I found him one, if you are interested, I can give you the name to look for on eBay. Dizz had 3 of them, according to this writer, it was an inexpensive way to go racing, and beat the Offies, back in the day. According to the fact sheet, when Fairchild quit building in 1945, I think, the engine count for the 6-440- was just under 6k, how much longer will they be able to be found. They also built a 770 cu in V12, there are a lot of videos about them on the internet, one gentleman built several really nice ones, with the engine laying almost flat on it's side, in fact, in real time, he was given credit for designing the first Indy car, with the engine flat, and the chassis offset. Fun reading, history if fascinating, if you'll take the time to look for it! Bob

8/14/18, 8:51 AM   #10
TQ29m

Thanks, I don't have a lot of midget parts left, but if you'll PM me, maybe we can both benefit. Thanks! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ranger aircraft engine?