IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > And so it begins
8/12/18, 9:43 AM   #31
Re: And so it begins
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfOutlawsFan View Post
Yeah like 15 years ago. Wonder why they haven't done it since??
They did it though. And it still stands.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, ISF, jim goerge, oppweld
8/12/18, 10:23 AM   #32
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The reason it wasn't done again is because Earl said when he announced it, that it was a one time event. He did the same with the Eldora Million late model event. I have been to Knoxville several times and it is a great event. I am probably more interested in going again than I have been in years. Happy to see Brad Sweet get the win. So did you have a good time there? I figured with how much you liked it, that you would surely be there. You never responded to my question, that I asked earlier, so I don't know for sure. I bet the crowd went nuts when Sweet won.
Brent His mom probley wouldn"t let him go so he stayed in the basement and sulked

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, RacinBabe
8/12/18, 12:17 PM   #33
dsc1600

Did any of the non-winged diehards watch the highlights at least? How could you not like that racing?

5 members like this post: flagboy55, mc/rider, motorhead748, PIT CART, spicoli
8/12/18, 12:24 PM   #34
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The reason it wasn't done again is because Earl said when he announced it, that it was a one time event. He did the same with the Eldora Million late model event. I have been to Knoxville several times and it is a great event. I am probably more interested in going again than I have been in years. Happy to see Brad Sweet get the win. So did you have a good time there? I figured with how much you liked it, that you would surely be there. You never responded to my question, that I asked earlier, so I don't know for sure. I bet the crowd went nuts when Sweet won.
Thats true, It was a one time event and unlike the LM version, They divided up the purse.

They did however for a couple years have a Mopar Nationals afterward.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/12/18, 2:15 PM   #35
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I'm shocked that such a sacrilegious topic has desecrated the pages of IOW....
And have almost 4000 looks

2 members like this post: motorhead748, PIT CART
8/12/18, 3:38 PM   #36
RacinBabe

What is the sacreligious part — wings or twisted bowels????

5 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge, motorhead748, PIT CART, racenut69
8/12/18, 4:27 PM   #37
hoosier race fan

I don’t think I could have asked for much better in my first trip to Knoxville. That A Main was an absolute thriller with the battle between Larson and Schatz, then Sweet, Larson, and Schatz. Even though Brad was pretty dominant early, there wasn’t anyone there who thought he had that race wrapped up. Schatz passing Larson late in the race and closing in on Sweet with just a few laps to go had many on the edge of their seat hoping Brad could hold on. The collective groan of almost the entire crowd when Kerry Madsen flipped with 2 to go was an indication of just how much that race means to so many fans (plus the culmination of several years of seeing Schatz dominate). But that set the stage for two of the most intense and exciting laps I’ve seen. When Schatz made his move to the outside coming to take the white flag, I really thought he would get Brad. That collective groan moments earlier turned to a thunderous roar though when Sweet pulled ahead off of 2 and again off of 4 on the final lap. The jubilation from Sweet was great in his victory lane interview. Lots of great stories from last night.

Sold out crowd, and we were all treated to an outstanding show. Certainly one I will never forget. Reminded me a lot of the finish at the first World 100 I attended in 2002.

Anyone who doesn’t go to Knoxville because it is a winged sprint race is only cheating themselves. The whole experience is pretty incredible. It is very different from the Kings Royal. I think many fans from this area have been to the Kings Royal and don’t care for it compared to the traditional sprints and midgets. Don’t let that mislead you into not going to Knoxville for the nationals. It is absolutely worth it.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 8/12/18 at 6:52 PM.

8/12/18, 5:44 PM   #38
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinBabe View Post
What is the sacreligious part — wings or twisted bowels????
Good one..... WINGS! duh....

1 member likes this post: RacinBabe
8/12/18, 5:46 PM   #39
revjimk

I watched on PPV & it was excellent. Wish I had gone in person....
& I prefer wingless, but I'm not dogmatic about it....

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/12/18, 8:28 PM   #40
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
I think as part of the 60th Anniversary of the event in 2020 they should run the Knoxville Nationals non-winged one more time.
Surprised there was no comment on this.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > And so it begins