IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track Food - Who does it right
7/31/18, 9:18 PM   #21
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Is there a better tenderloin than the ones behind the main grandstand at the Knoxville Nationals? Fresh not frozen..pounded thin... battered...deep fried - amazing
I’ll have to try it during my first trip to Knoxville next summer for the Cornbelt Nationals. Thanks for the heads up!

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, sprinter31
7/31/18, 9:57 PM   #22
Re: Track Food - Who does it right
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Plus 1 for the Salem tenderloin! But I want to know what happened to the Cajun peanuts at Lincoln Park

3 members like this post: 2fast4u, jim goerge, superstock30
7/31/18, 11:40 PM   #23
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
There was a reason that Manzanita Speedway's burritos were legendary. They were big and outstanding! There area several comments above which mention food which is prepared by an organization other than the track. I believe this certainly results in excellent refreshments. I am certainly not saying that track employees don't bust their butts to give us good food, but I think you are just going to put a little more into it if you have some skin in the game. The outside barbecue vendor at Little Rock's I-30 Speedway produced really great stuff. Hendry County Speedway in far southern Florida had several local vendors, all offering their specialties. Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called. It was excellent. Over the years, East Bay Raceway had some of the best food and best service and worst food and worst service I have ever seen. Different vendors, vastly different results. Hard to beat their fresh strawberry shortcake regardless of who it was, however. Riverside Speedway in West Mempis also has some excellent food which is different that what we are used to in the midwest. I love the fact that Bloomington has ice cream! Come on, its the midwest, it is hot, it is humid. We should all scream for ice cream at every track.
"Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called".... I'm proud to say that I introduced Grandview parking lot to that delicacy known as crawfish. A few years ago Eastern Storm race was the day after "Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival" in Joisey. (he's a New Orleans guy who got homesick & started to throw big crawfish boils with lots of live music) At the end of the fest, they were selling out all the food for half price, so I bought a bunch & brought 'em to Grandview. All those Yankees found them interesting I guess, but I doubt if they'll replace burgers & brats....

8/1/18, 12:34 AM   #24
racinc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I have to agree with Charles, for the selection & price eldora is hard to beat.
I think it was Salina ok that would open their concession during the week for the locals.
My wife has family in Tulsa so I went to the Salina High Banks on a trip there. Dont remember much about the concessions but they have a full service Steak house up above the grandstands that is open i believe 6 days a week year round. Has big windows with tables that overlook the track.

3 members like this post: motorhead748, PJ Wright, tqracer53
8/1/18, 12:43 AM   #25
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
"Only place I had alligator gumbo or stew or whatever that bowl was called".... I'm proud to say that I introduced Grandview parking lot to that delicacy known as crawfish. A few years ago Eastern Storm race was the day after "Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival" in Joisey. (he's a New Orleans guy who got homesick & started to throw big crawfish boils with lots of live music) At the end of the fest, they were selling out all the food for half price, so I bought a bunch & brought 'em to Grandview. All those Yankees found them interesting I guess, but I doubt if they'll replace burgers & brats....
That is great! I love it when we can get nontraditional food at a track. Congratulations for your efforts!

1 member likes this post: davidm
8/1/18, 12:06 PM   #26
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly View Post
I’ll have to try it during my first trip to Knoxville next summer for the Cornbelt Nationals. Thanks for the heads up!
Not sure that's a "tenderloin", believe it's closer to a "pork fritter", used to be a place in Indy that sold them, they were bigger than a lot of Western hats, never figured what they used to flavor them with, probably really low on the "nutrition" scale, down there close to hot dogs I'd imagine, or a Western hat!!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/1/18, 12:10 PM   #27
miledirt

Nope - Kendra at Knoxville just tweeted yesterday that the tenderloin food truck was already set up behind main grandstand -

8/1/18, 1:06 PM   #28
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

There was a little cart on the walkway behind the Turn One stands at Ascot that sold Italian Sausage sandwiches; can't remember the name of it but the smell of those sausages, and the pans of sautéed peppers and onions and Marinara sauce would waft over the stands, and it was impossible to resist. The only thing that's come close for me since then is the Kokomo Pork Chop.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
8/1/18, 1:17 PM   #29
chathamracefan

Eldora wins of the tracks I have been to especially when you factor in the reasonableness of the pricing. Fairbury IL has a taco truck that comes in for the Prairie Dirt Classic late model show every year. It is very good. Knoxville has some killer food trucks for the Nationals, but that is beyond the normal concessions.

8/1/18, 1:31 PM   #30
PAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Plus 1 for the Salem tenderloin! But I want to know what happened to the Cajun peanuts at Lincoln Park
They told me the peanut company went out of business. I told them there's other companies that sell Cajun peanuts!

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track Food - Who does it right