IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remember the USAC Sabre Champ Car?
8/21/08, 8:51 PM   #21
Re: Remember the USAC Sabre Champ Car?
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:checkered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar64 View Post
Seen it run that night. I believe it was one of the thursday night thunder races. I remember thinking it didn't look to steady and Snyder didn't look to comfortable when he got out either.
SNIDER SAID IT WAS A REAL HANDFULL TO DRIVE! :checkered:

8/21/08, 9:35 PM   #22
Fisher79

Alright "kids" let's chill out. Dwight could probably rattle off some stats/memories that would baffle Duke. Duke could obviously tell some tales that Dwight could never have known, and on and on. Both of you guys are accomplished in the racing world. Let's leave it at that, unless you two want to challenge each other in a neutral arena, like Guitar Hero. Now that would be a sight to see.

8/21/08, 9:47 PM   #23
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCormick View Post
Speaking of classless.

Too bad the rest of us can't get away with a response like this. There's a few people I'd like to tell to take a flying **** into a rolling donut.
Go ahead Mike. Seems like it is open season right now.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/22/08, 10:05 AM   #24
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher79 View Post
Alright "kids" let's chill out. Dwight could probably rattle off some stats/memories that would baffle Duke. Duke could obviously tell some tales that Dwight could never have known, and on and on. Both of you guys are accomplished in the racing world. Let's leave it at that, unless you two want to challenge each other in a neutral arena, like Guitar Hero. Now that would be a sight to see.
i would pay to watch that:rolling

8/22/08, 11:18 AM   #25
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

To steal a line from a former poster, YOU ROCK

8/22/08, 11:49 AM   #26
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

Back on topic,

Does any body remember the American Racing Spirit (ARS), a "Spec" series that was to run on ovals in Indiana and the Midwest using cars that were built/designed by Mark Alderson (Alderson AC-03). I think the one time they scheduled a race (Winchester?), it was cancelled a few days in advance since nobody had bought the cars, or bought into the idea. Alderson had a few cars built that he was going to have some USAC drivers run, but there was not much more in the way of participation so the race was never run.
Seems he had the car on display at a race or two back when he was trying to get the series going (early 90's).

8/22/08, 11:58 AM   #27
Offy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Do us all a favor and take a flying f*&# into a rolling donut.:moon:
I got a buck that says the Duke pull it off!!:applaud:

8/22/08, 12:17 PM   #28
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing View Post
Back on topic,Does any body remember the American Racing Spirit (ARS), a "Spec" series that was to run on ovals in Indiana and the Midwest using cars that were built/designed by Mark Alderson (Alderson AC-03). I think the one time they scheduled a race (Winchester?), it was cancelled a few days in advance since nobody had bought the cars, or bought into the idea. Alderson had a few cars built that he was going to have some USAC drivers run, but there was not much more in the way of participation so the race was never run.
Seems he had the car on display at a race or two back when he was trying to get the series going (early 90's).

I believe those cars ended up in LasVegas, at some sort of CART "Walter Mitty" style "driving experience" scam designed to separate rich guys from their money.
I also recall someone dying in a crash out there, possibly, as a result of a heart attack. ??????

8/22/08, 12:30 PM   #29
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
This shouldn't have to be explained to an intelligent human being but I'll give it a whirl. Duke, it isn't about what you've done, what you know, etc. It is about simply giving a reply without trying to put the other person down. Basic common courtesy. In most of your replies you fail to do that and that is why I have replied to you the way I have. Also, you have been told more than once that using all caps and countless exclamation points amounts to shouting. But, you don't care about anyone else so you continue to do it. And, as far as knowledge of racing - I have worked for NASCAR, URC, RSCA, PRA, X2RA, and a few unsanctioned events. I have written for Illustrated Speedway News, Cavalcade of Auto Racing, Area Auto Racing News, and other publications. I have attended over 3000 events at 273 different race tracks since 1952, including some of your races, Duke. If you really would like to get in a p--ing match about knowledge of racing history bring it on. I would embarrass you. I've wasted enough time here. You are now on my ignore list.
Dwight, I remember 30+ years ago when the announcer (Terry Baltes?) at Eldora would introduce Dennis "Duke" Cook as a "legend in his own mind". I think that statement is still true today. I also sort of recall that the late great Rich Vogler had somewhat of a "personality clash" with Duke back in the day.

1 member likes this post: Racer12
8/22/08, 12:58 PM   #30
KRJoyce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing View Post
Back on topic,

Does any body remember the American Racing Spirit (ARS), a "Spec" series that was to run on ovals in Indiana and the Midwest using cars that were built/designed by Mark Alderson (Alderson AC-03). I think the one time they scheduled a race (Winchester?), it was cancelled a few days in advance since nobody had bought the cars, or bought into the idea. Alderson had a few cars built that he was going to have some USAC drivers run, but there was not much more in the way of participation so the race was never run.
Keith,
Those (American Spirit Cars) were the cars that did end up being used as Driver School Cars out in Vegas. They were also then part of a CART Driving Experience deal. Sorry for the double answer mac......
Also, If you look close in the movie blockbuster "Driven":rolling they used those Alderson cars for a lot of the driving scenes in that movie when they were not using actuall race footage with the Reynard Chassis. I was with Pac West Racing just prior to that being released.
Not sure if they are still being used in any kind of "driving experience" company today or not.

Ken Joyce

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remember the USAC Sabre Champ Car?