IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Win For Everyone - especially the kids of CQMA
10/26/07, 9:34 PM   #1
A Win For Everyone - especially the kids of CQMA
Bluteam

The Capital Quarter Midget Club in Sacramento dodged a HUGE bullet this week. They were granted a 1 year extension on their lease, effectively allowing the facility to remain open for at least another year. It had been scheduled to close following this season after more than 50 years in existence.

Adding to the exciting news, the County Board of Supervisors also voted and approved a motion for purchase of the property(unclear to me who would own it), which looks to pave the way for the only 1/4 midget dirt track in California to continue to exist well into the future.

The Capital Club hosted the QMA Dirt Grands in 2007, and used that in their plight to keep the track open. An outpouring of support from the Paniagua & Hayer families, who originally owned the property and built the track, was surely instrumental in the decision to keep the property as its original intended use.

However, it was clear that the relationship developed between the Capital Club and government officials, specifically the county board of supervisors, was the backbone of saving the Roy Hayer Memorial Speedway.

The meeting was video taped, and anyone can view it at this link:

http://saccounty.granicus.com/MediaP...=3&clip_id=573

You will want to fast forward to time frame 2:10PM. It is a lengthy view (about 3 hours), but well worth the time for those interested in how important it is to develop a working relationship with a community and its government leaders.

Through the hearing, it became evident that keeping a race track open takes more than simple fundraisers, or letters of support. The proponents of the race track appeared to be up against a group of individuals who wanted to see the land returned to its natural state(environmentalists), yet they have persevered - at least for the moment.

It was nice to see the Capital QMA members step forward to save their track. Better yet, was the support the group received from county officials. (where have I seen that before)This would lead one to believe the Roy Hayer Memorial Speedway is going to be around for a long time.

I certainly hope so. Chalk up a win for the racers, the parents, the community, and most importantly - all of the kids who call Capital QMA their home.

:greenflag: :checkered:
Green to Checkers,

Ted Hartman

more info can be found at: http://www.capitolqma.com/

10/26/07, 9:40 PM   #2
Re: A Win For Everyone - especially the kids of CQMA
Dwight Clock

Great news for the kids! I have nothing against the environment but they do tend to go overboard at times. Nice to see them take one on the chin for once!:applaud:

10/26/07, 11:44 PM   #3
Jerry Spencer

Is this the same group of enviromentilist that would not let fire breaks be cut in Southern California? :headbang: I believe we need to take care of this great gift that God has provided us but to take away something that benifits so many kids just sounds silly. In a time when the future looks pretty bleak you would think knowing that the kids of the area were doing something to stay out of trouble would mean more than anything. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Jerry

10/26/07, 11:50 PM   #4
Bluteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
In a time when the future looks pretty bleak you would think knowing that the kids of the area were doing something to stay out of trouble would mean more than anything. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Jerry
They actually touched on that very subject Jerry, when one of their members(who is in law enforcement) stood up and talked.

Our county commissioner used that in his talks as well. "we're spending money on these kids after they're incarcerated - why not spend it on them BEFORE"

Ted

10/26/07, 11:57 PM   #5
Jerry Spencer

I am glad it worked out and you have bought some time, maybe you could get the kids too write some of the cup or Indy guys about getting together and making the track a permanent thing. There has too be someone around that could help. Good luck :checkered:

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Win For Everyone - especially the kids of CQMA