IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather???????
12/2/08, 9:33 AM   #41
Re: Weather???????
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Is it a shortage of salt, or a shortage of money to buy it?
Jim Morrison
I know money is short but from what I understand there is a shortage of salt. Last night and this morning was a real treat on the side streets here in town, it is the dry spots that will kill you.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

12/2/08, 9:40 AM   #42
Jerry Spencer

Just a reminder that if you spray some sort of silicone on the rubber seal on the inside of your car door it will cut down on the number of times it freezes shut. I have used a silicone water guard that you water proof shoes and leather and things of that nature, just spray it all around your door rubber and wipe it down. Yesterday I had one door stick and that was one that I had not treated.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

12/2/08, 9:55 AM   #43
terrehautian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Is it a shortage of salt, or a shortage of money to buy it?
Jim Morrison
It is both. House bill 1001 created a major void in the money the towns get and thus can't buy as much salt.....when they can find it. Either Terre Haute or Vigo County's street dept. sent out numerous requests for quotes for salt, but only got one back. And when they can find it, costs have trippled for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
Just a reminder that if you spray some sort of silicone on the rubber seal on the inside of your car door it will cut down on the number of times it freezes shut. I have used a silicone water guard that you water proof shoes and leather and things of that nature, just spray it all around your door rubber and wipe it down. Yesterday I had one door stick and that was one that I had not treated.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com
I might have to try that because I don't have many problems with my door freezing shut(door seal is inside the body and not exposed as much to the elements as some cars are) and I have had my door frozen shut at times (not much).

12/2/08, 10:24 AM   #44
interpreter66

salt on the road's? door's freezing? what the heck are ya"ll talking about:wink

12/2/08, 11:45 AM   #45
terrehautian

If I didn't like snow so much, I would move down to Florida so I could ride a motorcycle all year long. Then laugh at everyone the first winter I am down there when they say cold is 50 degrees.

12/2/08, 12:54 PM   #46
Onlydirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
I know money is short but from what I understand there is a shortage of salt. Last night and this morning was a real treat on the side streets here in town, it is the dry spots that will kill you.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com
Hey Jerry 530 pm last night our supervisor gets a call wanting to know if we need more than one truck out on the roads.....they were just getting out and by 9pm we had 31 wrecks.

12/2/08, 7:26 PM   #47
Tim Watson

We ended up getting about 9" of snow by Monday morning here in the land of cheese. Looks like more coming on Wednesday. :redflag:

12/2/08, 8:59 PM   #48
pletchfan

Well here in beautiful Tennessee it snowed like crazy for about 5 minutes yesterday, looked like a blizzard, melted as quick as it hit. But, it was really fun to watch. Been a bit chilly here but I don't miss all that snow in Indiana one bit. We might get a chance to see it at Christmas, we are coming to Frankfort for Christmas!!! I just hope the traveling is not treacherous. Make sure and have the roads cleared. The snow in the yards is GREAT!!!

12/2/08, 9:58 PM   #49
badgerfan

Here in the southern Wisconsin-northern Illinois area there is salt available. But the prices have got insane. Our streets dept. locked in this spring, took delivery and paid late summer and got it at around $46 per ton. With the price volatility the vendors won't honor prices for delayed delivery. If you want some now you will see quotes well over $200 per ton, I have heard as high as $250. We have cut back the salt by combining salt crystal with brine and beet juice. Sounds goofy and the pavement does take on a red tinge but it keeps the ice from buidling up or sticking and saves money.

12/4/08, 8:05 PM   #50
Tim Watson

We got another 5" here yesterday and i'm located between Milwaukee and Green Bay. That puts us around 14-15" so far this winter. I would like to have a talk with Mother Nature but i'm afraid it would turn into this :angry-smiley-007:

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather???????