IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement
8/13/16, 7:35 PM   #21
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Restructure the purse so 13th thru 30th get 1000 dollars instead of 700.They could start there.
We're would the money come from for that? All pavement racing has been on a downhill spiral for the past 8 years. The stands are proving it.

2 members like this post: Hubie, PIT CART
8/13/16, 7:35 PM   #22
PAW

Quote:
Restructure the purse so 13th thru 30th get 1000 dollars instead of 700.They could start there.
Where's that extra $5100 going to come from?
You?

5 members like this post: Hubie, jim goerge, Jonr, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
8/13/16, 7:48 PM   #23
JMA1181

Quote:
Are you at Salem?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, opnwhlmnd
8/13/16, 7:50 PM   #24
Re: Lack of cars on pavement
david mitchell
Banned

You take money off the top and spread it down.It is not that difficult. It is called purse restructuring. By the way I just read in the August issue of Speedway Illustrated magazine that Mike Bliss won the 1993 Silver Crown title with one car. They made a few adjustments on the car between dirt and pavement but that was it. Hmmmmm.

8/13/16, 8:53 PM   #25
Rapid Rick

USAC pavement racing was dead for several years after the last economic recession in the early 1980's. It took Thursday Night Thunder and a commitment from USAC as well as the owners to get it going again. Seems like it will take the same forward thinking to do it now.

3 members like this post: PIT CART, racer-x, randy j
8/13/16, 9:17 PM   #26
david mitchell
Banned

Forward thinking we do not have.

3 members like this post: knockoff, randy j, team3521
8/13/16, 10:06 PM   #27
Avon Open Wheel fan

This is why we are starting the new IILNI/Midwest Midget Pavement series which will making its debut this next weekend at Grundy County on Saturday and at Kalamazoo Speedway on Sunday night. On Sunday night the Must See Racing Wing Sprints and the Michigan Non Wing Sprints will also be on the card.

Some key points about this series. We are running a spec American Racer tire with a one set rule each night. This is a D2 series and we will make sure to keep the cost from slowly rising like it has happened in the past with the national cars. Yes we are allowing some national cars with the stipulation that they must use a restrictor to ensure they are equal to the D2 cars. I would like to invite everyone to check out our Facebook page it has tire and engine rules along with a full schedule.

The purse will also be a fair purse that places emphasis on paying from the bottom up. Not going to have the huge payout for first then offer a real small amount of money to the last ten cars. It cost the same to win or lose you have to get to the track buy tires and other stuff to keep the cars running. Then the travel cost is also the same for everyone so we intend on keeping a smaller footprint to keep travel cost down and build up car counts.

https://www.facebook.com/ILLINIMidwe...homepage_panel

www.illinimidgets.com

4 members like this post: Hubie, Rapid Rick, tamati, Task Force
8/13/16, 10:07 PM   #28
cleatziff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut'n but Dirt View Post
You have so many different parts you have to use on pavement versus a dirt car. So using same car is out if the question. There are several dirt owners who are contemplating pavement cars. Just need USAC to make sure it stays. It does cost more for pavement as well. If someone out there wants to help, then help get a sponsor for the series.
I am not any way questioning you because I have no idea. I am asking solely so I can learn. What are some of these different parts. Most of my knowledge about open wheel cars come from the days when u could use the same car for dirt and pavement.

8/13/16, 11:07 PM   #29
DFX500

It's not that easy given the differences between the modern dirt and pavement cars. Given a rolling chassis is not that expense, and switching the same chassis back and forth takes a lot of time and effort. If your paying a mechanic, which is common place today, that also cost money. The race tonight at
Salem was good. Unfortunately the fan base is shrinking to new lows. The stands were 3/4 empty. One of the biggest problems, from the competitors point of view is the purse money. Adjusted for inflation the price money has fallen dramatically over the years. I think the fix to gain car count is paying a decent purse. The only way I see that happening is through fan support. That's the only way it will work. There are no TV contracts or other means to attract sponsorship. Compared to many forms of racing, USAC Racing is relatively inexpensive. Since there are not enough "sportsman owners" who want to do it at a loss, which seems to be the current case, bigger purses will help if not fix the problem. Running for 10 k to win when the Hulman Classic paid 12k to win in the 1970's pretty much tells it all.

2 members like this post: Hubie, Owen
8/13/16, 11:26 PM   #30
Rpracing1

People do not care for the pavement races near as much as the dirt. USAC should throw all their efforts the SC dirt cars.

1 member likes this post: 2rock21
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement