IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hot Weather for Kokomo & Beyond
7/22/16, 1:04 PM   #11
JarrettFarms73

I work til 630p. If they want to push back an hour, count me as a "yes" vote.

Are the cancellations a personal safety decision or do you think difficulty getting motors to stay cool factors in? Or both?

7/22/16, 1:15 PM   #12
Re: Hot Weather for Kokomo & Beyond
Bill May

Some Fremont "Fast" cars may take this opportunity to go to Atomic Sat. nite and tune for the upcoming North/South challenge.

7/22/16, 3:31 PM   #13
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

I cant remembering tracks cancelling due to heat in the past....I don't get it...

When i ran karts we ran them in the heat of the day...97degrees and all. No one even thought about cancelling....
Last edited by Scooter; 7/22/16 at 3:32 PM.

2 members like this post: captrat, team3521
7/22/16, 3:36 PM   #14
hoosier race fan

It has happened before. I think a few years ago, maybe 2012 or 2013, there were several tracks that cancelled around this same time of the year. Late July or early August after sprintweek.

2 members like this post: fish, tirespinner
7/22/16, 4:04 PM   #15
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I cant remembering tracks cancelling due to heat in the past....I don't get it...

When i ran karts we ran them in the heat of the day...97degrees and all. No one even thought about cancelling....
When I was a kid we bailed hay in weather like this as I am sure many on here have before. THE WORLD SURE IS CHANGIN!!!!😭

7/22/16, 5:01 PM   #16
illinisprintfan

A few years ago we were headed to Bloomington Speedway when they cancelled due to heat. I griped and complained about it, and then stopped in Shoals to get gas, got out of the car and holy &@! Was it HOT!!!!! I poked my head back in the car and told my wife forget everything I said, it is too hot to be messing around at the track.

7/22/16, 5:04 PM   #17
Spi-nex

More of a business decision. Fewer and fewer fans are willing to sit through the heat to watch racing. Sure the track "can" run, but when the people don't show up the track takes it in the shorts. A business cannot willfully and knowingly open its doors and take a loss just to accommodate a select few hardcore supporters looking to get their speed fix.

It really sucks that society continues to progress into a "must always be comfortable" way of life. My grandfather never allowed an AC to be installed in his house. I bailed hay as a kid in full jeans and long sleeve shirts. Worked the fields detasseling. Got used to working in the heat so it never really bothers me so long as I can stay hydrated, but no one seems to have any endurance these days.

Unfortunately short track racing is not strong enough to change society and as long as society continues its push to the "fair weather" side of things, most tracks will have to bow to them in order to survive. Some places have enough of a hard core base to be able to get away running in adverse conditions, others do not. Sucks, but as they say, is what it is.

5 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, Peterman, racefan20, Tim Bookmiller, Tom23
7/22/16, 5:08 PM   #18
Backitin

I'm nobodys grandpa but I wont have ac in our house either. lol

7/22/16, 5:14 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Bailing Hay was never the hard part, The hard part was stacking it in a very little ventilated loft. Also did three hour a day football practice finished off by a half mile run in full gear. But Im not 16 anymore either.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/22/16, 10:37 PM   #20
JarrettFarms73

2 lap in. Bell BC Abreu bacon 71? Kemenah. Been some great racing. Windom did a tremendous turn down in 4 to pass two cars and transfer from the B.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 7/22/16 at 10:42 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hot Weather for Kokomo & Beyond