IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Only 12 cars? POWRI really?
6/26/16, 12:56 PM   #1
Only 12 cars? POWRI really?
55fan

What is up with the low car counts this weekend? I almost drove 300 miles,glad I didn't.

6/26/16, 1:12 PM   #2
Re: Only 12 cars? POWRI really?
DonMoore10

Hint: You might want to look in the win column for the past two years for a clue......

6 members like this post: bigq11, Indy1808, jdull99, Mrs.Goacher5g, skids59, Steve Wendel
6/26/16, 1:33 PM   #3
flagboy55

Usually all you need is 8 Kunz car's for a show anyway

3 members like this post: EDEMOTORSPORTS, fish, lilrim
6/26/16, 2:09 PM   #4
DonMoore10

It could come down to that.....

4 members like this post: captrat, Indy1808, PIT CART, SPRINTCAR
6/26/16, 3:16 PM   #5
axman775

I'm worried to see what the car count will look like next weekend at Angell Park!

4 members like this post: BURG FAN 88, Charles Nungester, dirtball, jdull99
6/26/16, 4:21 PM   #6
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I noticed that only 19 cars were at Belle-Clair. Glad I chose to go to Bloomington instead of the six hour round trip to Belleville. Hate to see the low car counts; I really love Belle-Clair Speedway.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/26/16, 5:11 PM   #7
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman775 View Post
I'm worried to see what the car count will look like next weekend at Angell Park!
Angell Park is $500 to start. What do they normally pay for start money?

Here's another question. Could someone with a Badger-legal car also run the National race?
Last edited by kendirt; 6/26/16 at 5:20 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtball, jdull99
6/26/16, 9:27 PM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

There were only 15 cars at Montpeiler and they allow just about any combination possible with not a Toyota in sight.

Car counts for all divisions are down virtually everywhere. There is a much bigger problem facing racing than Toyota powered cars. If anything....the argument could be made that KKR is doing all they can do to keep midget racing going.

6/26/16, 9:41 PM   #9
TQ29m

I have to agree, it appears that the beloved sport of racing is either not as popular as it has been, or the loose change that once made it affordable just isn't as available to both fans and owner/drivers, costs for both parties have gone up, it started to die when the fuel costs went up about 3-4 yrs ago, but started before that, think about it, there for a couple of years, we were getting 50+ tq's an event, but like everything else, those days are over. Just sayin! Bob

1 member likes this post: jdull99
6/26/16, 10:40 PM   #10
LEADERS EDGE

It's become an odd world. The promoters who try to promote and offer higher than average payouts are often greeted by less cars. Teams don't want to go to higher paying shows because of the tougher competition. Then the fans who paid extra to help pay the purse are mad because they don't feel they got their value.

I could drone on....but I feel that not enough competitors and fans truly value the sport and that many tracks and organizations try to make their nut on the backs of the competitors because they are afraid to count on the front gate fans.

I often feel that it's simply a case of too much of a good thing. It's not a big deal anymore to see amazing drivers doing extraordinary things. It's not special and there is little mystery surrounding it.

Couple that with stagnant wages and the ability to watch highlights almost immediately and problems start to arise.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Only 12 cars? POWRI really?