IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any updates on terre haute?
10/15/17, 8:49 PM   #21
Re: Any updates on terre haute?
BrentTFunk

I have only been going to Terre Haute since 1981. Front stretch has always been the place with the most dust, unless water was standing on the inside and it was really narrow. I had no complaints with last night. Thought it was real good.

10/16/17, 9:53 AM   #22
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

I noticed they were spreading calcium chloride on the track throughout the night to try and keep moisture in it. Do any other tracks do that?

10/16/17, 1:59 PM   #23
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

That used to be commonplace, especially on the miles, but I thought it was outlawed.

4 members like this post: erich45, OnTheHammer, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
10/16/17, 3:29 PM   #24
JarrettFarms73

All i know is it took me 5 attempts to finally see green flag racing and it was every bit as good as advertised. Absolutely loved it.

10/16/17, 4:45 PM   #25
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
That used to be commonplace, especially on the miles, but I thought it was outlawed.
That's what it looked like to me but that was just my guess. Little white balls but I guess it could've been something else. I overheard Schrader talking to one of the track prep guys giving him props on a good surface. The guy replied, "Well they told me they wanted it wet so that's what i'll give em'". Almost sounded like maybe he personally thought it was going to be too wet but I think it turned out well. Maybe not as juiced as it was to start out the night at the sprint week rainout but it was good. Hopefully this is what we can expect going forward at THAT!

10/16/17, 5:10 PM   #26
ISF

I might be mistaken but I believe applications of CaCl2 is outlawed over here in The Land O' Lincoln and crooked politicians. However the State of Illinois can dump it on the roads in copious amounts without any restrictions at all. The deleterious effects can be seen on roads and bridges all over the state, not to mention vehicles falling apart from rust way before their time.

I have never seen a fertilizer spreader spreading a wetting agent on a racetrack. If it wasn't CaCl2 I hope whatever it was is used again at THAT. The track Saturday night was just about as good as can be expected from THAT.

4 members like this post: Kydehart, Pat O'Connor Fan, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
10/16/17, 7:32 PM   #27
racefan20

I thought it was illegal here too. We were guessing that it might have been soap powder

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/16/17, 8:05 PM   #28
Jerry Shaw

A guy that was sitting where Kenny (ISF) and I were said one of the track people told him it was lime they were spreading. Per wiki:

"The broadly used term lime connotes calcium-containing inorganic materials, in which carbonates, oxides and hydroxides of calcium, silicon, magnesium, aluminium, and iron predominate."

Whether that's what it actually was or whether it had any effect, either positive or negative on the great racing we saw on this night, I haven't a clue.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/16/17 at 8:14 PM.

10/16/17, 10:04 PM   #29
Tumey's 55

Calcium chloride is hygroscopic which means it has the ability to draw moisture from the air. So, if it were used I suppose it could aid somewhat in keeping the track surface moist. I have no idea if it is illegal to apply to race tracks or why it would be since it is applied to roads and sold routinely in bags to melt ice on sidewalks (as it mixes with water an endothermic reaction occurs which means heat is generated and that also helps melt the ice).

5 members like this post: bighd0522, BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
10/16/17, 10:36 PM   #30
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

The most intelligent reply I've seen yet,Thanks.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any updates on terre haute?