Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pennsylvania
5/8/20, 7:54 PM   #1
Pennsylvania
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Hello,
I know we have members from that state on here.
Can you enlighten us as to what is going on with racetracks and racing there?
Are you hearing anything? I can't find anything at the few track websites I know of.
I really appreciate any input about your 2020 racing future.
Thanks in advance.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

5/8/20, 8:52 PM   #2
Re: Pennsylvania
fish

From Selinsgrove site:

The Posse Unleashed race this weekend has been cancelled, per an order from the Office of the Governor. We are tentatively rescheduling for May 16 as State officials are working on our behalf to get the order reversed! Thank you for your support and understanding!

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, Indy1808, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema, mc/rider
5/9/20, 9:00 AM   #3
jonboat15

Selinsgrove is in one of the yellow zones which permit slow reopening of certain places of business. The other local tracks are in red zones, no racing. No word from other tracks about reopening.

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
5/9/20, 9:15 PM   #4
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

Port Royal has a date in mind for racing again, but it is dependent on Our fearless leader of our Governor wether it will happen. As of now the website says postponed until further notice.

That and its still snowing here anyway......

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
5/11/20, 12:56 PM   #5
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

I use to leave in Pennsylvania and keep in contact with many of our racing friends back there. Roaring Knob Motorplex in Western PA ran last night to a good crowd. Have in car parking and also hillside seating on bleachers and lawn chairs so they should have been able to spread out. Haven't read much more on the evening but heard state police visited and might have told them to limit amount of time for racing as heats were skipped and they went right into features.

Also Selinsgrove was suppose to run on Saturday with no fans in attendance and at last moment were told that they could not run because of governor's orders and he stated that they never got permission to run in the first place but Selinsgrove promoters have letters from PA state police and one of health organizations in state saying otherwise. They are looking to run this upcoming weekend. We will see.

Bruce Eckel

5/13/20, 11:37 AM   #6
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

FYI Last August after much discussion with fellow fans from Penn. We decided to make the Eastern Storm Trip this year. We are/were excited to add on/ check off several tracks we have never been to. Made/paid all the arrangements flights, hotels etc. and then this enemy attacked America.
So I reached out to enquire about Eastern Storm & Port Royal responded back this morning.

"Unfortunately, we do not know at this point. We are hoping to be able to race soon but we do not know a date. We will advertise as soon as we know something. You are welcome to check back if you have not heard anything."

Thank You,

Port Royal Speedway
Office 717 527-2303
Fax 717 527-2200
info@portroyalspeedway.com
www.portroyalspeedway.com
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, fish
5/16/20, 12:02 PM   #7
jonboat15

Nothing good happening here in PA. All tracks in central Pa seem to be closed until further notice. Selinsgrove Speedway will not open until that valley is in the "green zone", who knows when that will be. I'm hoping to see the Silver Crown cars there in August but I won't be holding my breath. According to local news we are the only state not to open up real estate business, it is non essential. I would think that people having a place to live and a roof over their heads would be essential.
I'm taking this racing break OK but sooner or later I'll run out of stuff to do around the house and I'm going to want see a race from the stands not in front of my TV. I feel sorry for anyone else that has a gov as bad as the state of PA has.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, Indy1808
5/16/20, 8:25 PM   #8
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

I posted this information on another message board because of the snarky comments being made. For the past 5 years I have had a dermatologist appointment at the end of May for a skin cancer screening. This is made a year in advance and it is chosen around the Indy 500 schedule. For 2020 it was scheduled for May 28 which would make me able to go to Indy and be back for the appointment. I might add I live in Montgomery County, which is were the Covid-19 outbreak in PA started in early March. I was waiting to talk to the doctor's office to find out what was up with the office visit when on the 1st of May I received an e-mail that the appointment was on, and given a very detailed list of what I needed to do and what I should expect at the office. I was also told that I needed to do all sorts of pre-check-in by e-mail so as to limit my time in the facility. After doing it I received an e-mail on May 7 that everything was up to speed and I would be seen on the 28th. Yesterday, May 15, I received an e-mail that my appointment was cancelled and I needed to reschedule. I have not contacted the office yet, but my hypothesis (opinion) is I was 13 days out from my appointment, a patient or someone on the staff tested positive and the CDC is stressing 14 day minimum self-isolation for positive results. I tend to listen to people who are smarter than me especially medical suggestions rather than someone's opinion that they present as facts. I am a retired HS science teacher and I tried to impress the kids that everyone is entitled to their opinions but their "facts" need to be verified. These are the facts as they pertain to PA as of now. Some tracks have tried to run but were not granted an official exemption. Selinsgrove did go through the so called proper authorities and felt they had the ok to race without fans, but Gov. Wolf said racing is a form of entertainment and it is not permitted in yellow areas as Snyder County was last week. As far as Roaring Knob Speedway, I am not sure if they were actually approved, but they were visited by the PA State Police but were allowed to finish the events. I am not sure but I read that the super late model class had very few entries. I saw that the USAC Eastern Storm events were postponed and the tracks and USAC are looking at ways to get them in later. The NASCAR double-header at Pocono is not approved yet as the county the track is in is still in the red zone. A lot of people that live in the Poconos work in NYC and North Jersey which are hot zones. Right now, I am looking at the Indy 500 in August as my go to event. I hope it will run and hope fans
can be there. When racing resumes in PA, NJ, MD, and DE I think I might sit out a few just to make sure. I am 72, asthmatic, with an irregular heart beat, and type 2 diabetic. I check off 3 of the "big ones." If you want to risk your health that is on you, but if you have elderly parents, young children or grandchildren think about what your choice may bring to others. Sorry for the length, but there are a lot of people who really need to think about what they are saying. I might add that I find this message board to be less political and less snarky and very little name calling as others are, I think that is because of the midwest mind set and the work of the moderator. Keep up the good work, be safe and stay safe. I will see you at the races.

4 members like this post: Indy1808, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, ronmil
5/16/20, 8:41 PM   #9
Hammms

not lookin good for this year. Maybe a temp move to wingless wonderland. Better than here anyway.

3 members like this post: Indy1808, jonboat15, oppweld
5/16/20, 9:33 PM   #10
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammms View Post
not lookin good for this year. Maybe a temp move to wingless wonderland. Better than here anyway.
Always better without the wings

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pennsylvania