IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Top Ten
4/2/20, 11:58 AM   #1
My Top Ten

I’ve been very fortunate that I’ve been able to travel the country and see many races at many different racetracks. I’ve been to 137 different tracks in 23 states and one Canadian Provence. I’ve also been fortunate enough to drive at 74 different racetracks in 17 different states.

As my driving career winds down and my spectator career blossoms, and since all of us really don’t know when we will see our first race of the year, it got me to thinking of the tracks I’d still like to see a race at. So, I decided to write down the top ten tracks and/ or events that I’d still like to see a race at.

This list will upset some of you since there are no non winged sprint car races on here. I love non winged sprint car racing, but there's just not a race that I want to see that I haven’t yet seen. So, in no particular order:

1. Martinsville, VA: While some of you are NASCAR haters out there, I enjoy racing of all kinds. I always try to catch the Cup race from there on TV and was going to specify a Cup race there, I decided I’d like to see any race there. Plus, I’m a hot dog connoisseur, so my life won’t be complete until I have a Martinsville hot dog!

2. Knoxville Nationals: I’ve seen a few weekly races at Knoxville and always enjoyed them. This is one of the few true events in sprint car racing.

3. Bristol Night Race: I raced the Must See Winged Sprint car race there a few years ago. There was probably less than 20 people in the stands. It was almost eerie; it was so quiet when the cars were not on that big cavern of a speedway. I’d love to see that place with 40 race cars and tens of thousands of screaming fans.

4. Any track in Australia: I’ve heard stories from a lot of people that have been down there. Not one of them have had a bad thing to say. I like the idea of traveling the countryside and seeing several different tracks as well as the scenery.

5. Rolex 24: In the past, I’ve never really watched any road racing. But recently, a friend of mine that lives and works in NASCAR land, got hired onto a road race team. Because of this, I started watching some of the races and I was surprised at how much I enjoy them. The Rolex 24 seems to be the pinnacle of these in America. I’ve watched it the last couple of years on TV and I think I’d like to see it in person. Especially the nighttime hours.

6. Selinsgrove. PA: It used to be for my job, I had to go to Pennsylvania every six weeks to visit a customer. It was amazing how often my customer visits corresponded with Pennsylvania Speed Weeks! Although I always stayed in Selinsgrove, I never managed to make it to the track. This will hopefully be the first to get knocked off this list. A friend of mine and I are planning to hit the Champ car race out there this summer.

7. Springfield, IL: I’m a big fan of the Champ cars and as I write this, I can’t believe I’ve never been to the last two dirt miles yet. Hopefully, I’ll get this one knocked off soon.

8. DuQuoin, IL: Same as Springfield. In the past, I always seemed to be racing somewhere on Labor Day weekend. This may be the second race knocked off this list.

9. Kings Royal: This is one of the few true events in sprint car racing today. Like other races on this list, I never went because I always seemed to be racing somewhere else. This wouldn’t even be on this list except a stroke of fate. I was planning on going last year, but I had my accident at Kalamazoo Speedway in the middle of June and just wasn’t able to go. It was also the first time in several years I had missed the Brad Doty Classic, which is held the Tuesday before the Kings Royal at Attica Speedway.

10. Turkey Night, Ventura, CA: I never thought much about this race until last fall, when during a work trip to California, I found myself at Ventura Speedway. I was shocked at how good the racing was on this tight, narrow little track. Plus sitting in the stands, I could actually see the Pacific Ocean. As I have learned more about Turkey Night, the more I want to go.

So, pick this apart or add yours to it. This will all be over soon, and I hope you all will get to the all the races you can.

Tom Paterson

4/2/20, 4:11 PM   #2
Re: My Top Ten
J Watson

I would be happy for you if you won the big lottery and could do them all in one year!

1 member likes this post: Big Mike 7
4/3/20, 9:38 AM   #3
fishnman

Great topic! One race I have always wanted to got to is the Oswego Classic. Maybe.... someday.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PIT CART
4/3/20, 10:31 AM   #4
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

PA sprint and midget weeks and a late October November sweep of California & Arizona I wouldnt need to win the big lotto, just be a really damn good buddy of the race fan who did
Last edited by mc/rider; 4/3/20 at 10:38 AM.

5 members like this post: dirt330, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, racenut69, TNRustler
4/3/20, 11:09 AM   #5
axman897

Though it will never happen again, I would have loved to see Hut Hundred at Terre Haute with midgets. I remember as a kid recording the racing and watching it until I had to go to bed. I would wake up and watch the rest of the race early in the morning before school. I remember when KO won it I think on the bottom. I remember going to school thinking a darn "bottom feeder" won the race.

2 members like this post: dirt330, racenut69
4/3/20, 3:00 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

That's a great list Tom! I'm in the high 60's for tracks only race on a couple though.

1) Haubstadt - Tri-State Speedway in all my travels to Indiana I've yet to visit Haubstadt. I've heard nothing but great things about the place.

2) Bowman Gray Stadium - I love the Ground Pounders and Bowman Gray's been on my wish list for a very long time.

3) Knoxville – Does not have to be the Nationals, although that would be cool. I be happy with just a weekly race there.

4) DuQuoin – I’ve seen Dirt Champ cars on ½ mile dirt and at Richmond, but never on a mile dirt track.

5) Eldora 4 Crown Nationals – Another track I’ve yet to visit. A bucket list track and event!

6) Boone IMCA Super Nationals – Lots of cars and lots of racing.

7) Lucas Oil Speedway - Jesse Hockett/Daniel McMillin Memorial

8) Belle-Clair Speedway – From what I’ve seen on TV and heard, this place looks awesome!

9) Spa-Francorchamps – I want to stand at the top of Eau Rouge and see the start of an F1 race.

10) Oswego Budweiser International Classic – Been there for ISMA and MSR Sprints, but this one is the biggie for Super Mods!

5 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, chrismattlin, fish, nathans1012, racenut69
4/3/20, 3:20 PM   #7
cornerthree

You won't believe the amount of racing at IMCA super nationals. This year will be my 27th. And Belle Claire is awesome

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, oppweld
4/3/20, 3:34 PM   #8
cornerthree

Need to get to a few tracks yet on my bucket list. The first 2 will happen this year.
1 Fairbury for any race
2 Paragon for midget week
3 Tri-state for USAC sprints
4 Ventura Turkey night
5 Independance Iowa for a good weekly show
6 Macon IL for PowerI midgets
7Lincoln Pa
8 West Memphis on a heavy night
9 Weedsport NY got there and it rained, Looked like an elbows up kind of track
10 Ashland WI want to take my buddy Russ there. Only track in Wisconsin he hasn't been to.

4/3/20, 5:01 PM   #9
dirtracer74

Bowman Gray is on my short list. I just want to experience the atmosphere. Add that to all of the central PA dirt tracks, and that pretty much makes up my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
That's a great list Tom! I'm in the high 60's for tracks only race on a couple though.

1) Haubstadt - Tri-State Speedway in all my travels to Indiana I've yet to visit Haubstadt. I've heard nothing but great things about the place.

2) Bowman Gray Stadium - I love the Ground Pounders and Bowman Gray's been on my wish list for a very long time.

3) Knoxville – Does not have to be the Nationals, although that would be cool. I be happy with just a weekly race there.

4) DuQuoin – I’ve seen Dirt Champ cars on ½ mile dirt and at Richmond, but never on a mile dirt track.

5) Eldora 4 Crown Nationals – Another track I’ve yet to visit. A bucket list track and event!

6) Boone IMCA Super Nationals – Lots of cars and lots of racing.

7) Lucas Oil Speedway - Jesse Hockett/Daniel McMillin Memorial

8) Belle-Clair Speedway – From what I’ve seen on TV and heard, this place looks awesome!

9) Spa-Francorchamps – I want to stand at the top of Eau Rouge and see the start of an F1 race.

10) Oswego Budweiser International Classic – Been there for ISMA and MSR Sprints, but this one is the biggie for Super Mods!

1 member likes this post: oppweld
4/3/20, 5:13 PM   #10
Andrew S. Quinn

Ive been lucky over the years with 167 I think without looking, different speedways in 3 countries. Been to the Knoxville Nationals many times,Pennsylvania speedweek,Chili Bowl,Williams Grove National Open, The Little 500, the 3 hour figure 8 race,The Oxford 250,the Star Supermodified Classic,and not to mention POWRi Speedeek,Indiana midget week,and Indiana Sprint Week. Been to Australia twice,and that tied in with going to the Knoxville Nationals. Back then I had to decide on either a street legal sprint car,or going to Australia. Guess which won?

I still havent been to Fairbury,I was on my way a couple years ago and had a tire blowout,which put me behind. Always wanted to go to Ventura,but its a long way to go for just one race,and I'd rather go for a weekly show lets say, rather than Turkey Night. I cant imagine being in L.A. on Black Friday.... Western Springs in New Zealand would be another for the midgets around Christmas time. Havent made it to the Hy Miler at Sandusky either,and havent been to Lima,and wouldnt mind going back to Moler so I can count it. It rained after the 2nd heat for BOSS sprints when I went there.Maybe California's speedweek,although I havent thought to much about it. The fire inside to go racing has died way down in the last 5 years.

Still have some race places I wanna get to. Bentley Warrens Saloon in Arundel, Maine is one of them. I just went back to Maine in January and found it on Route 1 in Arundel,but it was closed till about April. The museum at New Hampshire Intl Speedway,or what ever its called now in Loudon,New Hampshire. The museum in Darlington,and Ray Evernhams museum would be good to go check out as well. A museum on everyones hitlist should be the Museum of American Speed at Speedway Motors in Lincoln Nebraska. Its the best one I have been to,and I've been to a bunch of museums as well as speedways. A buddy of mine in Australia told me "Mad Harry" Delamont ended up with much of Brian Linigen's personal museum. I went to the Linigens museum in the Sydney Suburbs and it was just as nice as some of the museums I have been to here.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 4/3/20 at 6:31 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Top Ten