IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Action Track, 9/18/99
4/24/20, 8:30 PM   #1
Terre Haute Action Track, 9/18/99
JJMooney

Complete shot in the dark here. Wondering if anyone remembers this one from 1999 ….

During the weekend of September 17-18, 1999 the Terre Haute Action Track hosted a two-day show. I believe Gerry Olson was the promoter. The USAC Silver Crown cars ran Friday night (9/17). Jack Hewitt was the winner. On Saturday night (9/18) there was a sprint car show. No wings. No sanction. The show ran against USAC sprints at IRP. I think LPS was dark. I seem to remember the field being made up of mostly Putnamville regulars. I left after the heat races. The show was running late. It had already been a long day as I was at the last show ever held at 16th Street Speedway earlier that afternoon. I never found out who won Terre Haute's sprint car feature. No results were published anywhere that I could find. There were only 18-20 cars. Very small crowd. The only detail I remember was Jonathan Vennard winning a heat race.

Anyone else happen to be there that night? Happen to remember who won? It was only 20+ years ago...

4/24/20, 8:39 PM   #2
Re: Terre Haute Action Track, 9/18/99
racefan20

Wasnt there but was at 16th st then IRP

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/24/20, 9:00 PM   #3
cornerthree

If Gerry Olson was running that show, the question is did they get paid?

3 members like this post: duel, oppweld, tirespinner
4/24/20, 9:11 PM   #4
JJMooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
If Gerry Olson was running that show, the question is did they get paid?
That just jogged my memory a bit more about this race. I think he advertised only $800 to win.

4/25/20, 2:01 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
Complete shot in the dark here. Wondering if anyone remembers this one from 1999 ….

During the weekend of September 17-18, 1999 the Terre Haute Action Track hosted a two-day show. I believe Gerry Olson was the promoter. The USAC Silver Crown cars ran Friday night (9/17). Jack Hewitt was the winner. On Saturday night (9/18) there was a sprint car show. No wings. No sanction. The show ran against USAC sprints at IRP. I think LPS was dark. I seem to remember the field being made up of mostly Putnamville regulars. I left after the heat races. The show was running late. It had already been a long day as I was at the last show ever held at 16th Street Speedway earlier that afternoon. I never found out who won Terre Haute's sprint car feature. No results were published anywhere that I could find. There were only 18-20 cars. Very small crowd. The only detail I remember was Jonathan Vennard winning a heat race.

Anyone else happen to be there that night? Happen to remember who won? It was only 20+ years ago...
My records show I was at Terre Haute on the 17th for a USAC Silver Crown race and on the 18th I was at IRP for a USAC Sprint-Midget race. I don't remember any details from Terre Haute. I remember eating at the MCL on Crawfordsville Road before going to IRP and there were some people in there who had been to the 16th Street Speedway race. Don't have any details recorded from the IRP race and I don't remember anything unusual or outstanding occurring. Hard to believe that was twnety-one years ago!

1 member likes this post: JJMooney
4/27/20, 7:07 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

Ask Eckert. That'd probably be your best bet.......

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
4/27/20, 10:09 PM   #7
kcarm92

Think this was the run what you bring,as long as it wasn't a top wing, Cody Hewitt ran his dad's two seater, and Kevin Thomas won ,if that's the one your talking about

4/27/20, 10:18 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
Think this was the run what you bring,as long as it wasn't a top wing, Cody Hewitt ran his dad's two seater, and Kevin Thomas won ,if that's the one your talking about
I believe that was a later event. I remember being there.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Action Track, 9/18/99