IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
5/5/17, 5:46 PM   #31
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
It's very interesting seeing a slice of societal schism play out in this thread. People are arguing with one another over opinions! Even more amusing is the notion that paying customers (fans) should shoulder the responsibility of the people who are paid (promoters);

"The thing is we havery (sic) to stick together, we have to promote the crap out of classes we don't care about to help it all survive. Shocking concept, I know. Why? Because the sport needs it.".

You know what's shocking? The communal concept expressed in that quote actually exists in America! Ideas like that are repugnant to our ancestors who fought in the Great Wars.

No one should be chastised for not supporting what others consider "the greater good". The market will decide what survives and what does not. I would never enlist myself to support the survival of an entity just because it "needs it". Thank God we're still free enough to not support things which we do not care for.

[Sorry to the poster who I chose to quote- it wasn't an attack against that particular person whatsoever, but rather a microcosm of many of the post in this thread.]
Mr. Mattlin,
You are far too intelligent to be posting on this forum.
I'm telling George and Terri.
Last edited by R A K; 5/5/17 at 5:49 PM.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/5/17, 5:57 PM   #32
Re: Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
Read the whole thing and didn't see a single instance where supporting wings caused non-wing to flourish, not one. Your personal invite to your friends was nice and I'm glad you did it, but you could've just as easily skipped the wings and took them straight to non-wing and they'd have been blown away. "almighty leader", really that's how you see Him? I used the scripture to make a point and I purposely left off the part pertaining to God and mammon because it wasn't relevant to what I was trying to say, which was it's important to be loyal. That's not to say you have to be nasty to the other, but preferring one over another and supporting one over another is NOT a bad thing. I too like all things dirt, I was a late model devotee for 30 years before I switched to non-wing sprints this past fall. I enjoy the whole spectrum of dirt, except maybe IMCA mods, but that's for another time.

Your pluralistic views on racing remind me of these progressive liberals, that say we have to accept EVERY perversion that is dreamt of in the heart of man as being OK, or else we HATE, which is a lie. Look if you want to go out and promote dirt racing in general, you go right ahead and I'll applaud your enthusiasm, but demanding everyone be exactly like you is a little too, "Obamaesqe" for my taste. I was called to love non-wing sprints and I am going to support THEM fully and unapologetically and I can do it without knocking or defaming the other classes(except imca mods, lol).

Lastly, I'll say it again, from the highest mountain, promoting winged sprints does NOT directly lead to promoting Non-wing sprints. Just because the WoO comes to a track does not cause Non-wing to show up later. You yourself may invite people to both shows, but that's more of a "causation NOT correlation or vice versa". Now if the peeps you took to the WoO show had suddenly said on the way home, "Man I bet if they took the wings off those cars they'd really be awesome to see!" then you could claim it. You walk your path the best way you know how and I'll walk mine, but you don't get to insist that I have to agree with you, that's a "Millennial" ideology and I'll have none of it.
So, at first your said that promoting wing racing does "NOTHING" and "at all" for non wing racing. I proved where it did, as have a few others shown that winged racing captured their attention. At least one of those posters have said they may not have been interested in non wing racing without the prior exposure to winged racing. My stand is that winged racing DOES SOMETHING for non wing racing. And then you change to "flourish" like you thought I wouldn't catch it. Pick one, and stick with it. My point has been proven.

I have not told you, nor anyone else, you must think a certain way. My way, you know, the millennial ideology, is to bring up another side of the coin. I have tried to express my point of view, and you come back at me with fallacies and generalizations. Your cases are very vague, of course your examples wouldn't help non wing racing. Mine were specific, where I shown that they DID IN FACT help. Although it may have been miniscule in your mind, you still do not get to disregard facts and make up your own. Period. Now, if you were to have said "I do not believe your way of thinking helps much, just very little." Then I probably would have agreed. But, I attacked your claims of "NOTHING" and "at all"...

"Obamaesqe" my ass...

5/5/17, 6:05 PM   #33
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
It's very interesting seeing a slice of societal schism play out in this thread. People are arguing with one another over opinions! Even more amusing is the notion that paying customers (fans) should shoulder the responsibility of the people who are paid (promoters);

"The thing is we havery (sic) to stick together, we have to promote the crap out of classes we don't care about to help it all survive. Shocking concept, I know. Why? Because the sport needs it.".

You know what's shocking? The communal concept expressed in that quote actually exists in America! Ideas like that are repugnant to our ancestors who fought in the Great Wars.

No one should be chastised for not supporting what others consider "the greater good". The market will decide what survives and what does not. I would never enlist myself to support the survival of an entity just because it "needs it". Thank God we're still free enough to not support things which we do not care for.

[Sorry to the poster who I chose to quote- it wasn't an attack against that particular person whatsoever, but rather a microcosm of many of the post in this thread.]
Hi, thats me. Im pretty certain you just lashed out at me 4 different ways and im not smart enough to know what those big words mean. I will leave you be...

5/5/17, 7:59 PM   #34
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Sprint cars are like coffee, some like it black, some like it with cream. Some can drink both, some cannot. Just because I cannot drink mine with cream does not make your light and sweet any less a cup of coffee than my black and bitter.
Last edited by Rhody; 5/5/17 at 9:05 PM.

2 members like this post: stp6237, superstock30
5/5/17, 7:59 PM   #35
Front Gate versus Back Gate
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

After having some conversations behind the scenes I've decided to edit my post and dial down my tone. To be clear I recognise wing sprints as actually being a sprint car, I just happen to favour non-wing and I am putting my energies into that.

I'm also planning to start a non-wing (spec/crate) class in my area in which there are NO sprints, period. In order for this to work, it is going to require singular focus and dedication, not a general "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach. Attempting to do anything other than building a non-wing class would only distract and confuse things further, so all I care about in this moment is rallying enough interest and support to get "A" class of non-wing sprints started where there has never been a single sprint class before.

So in closing, you keep working on the front gate and I'm gonna try and help the back gate and maybe we can put on a good show and stimulate this sport we both love.

5/6/17, 3:40 AM   #36
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Hello. I'm Chris.

I like racing.

Carry on.

3 members like this post: davidm, stp6237, TQ29m
5/6/17, 1:47 PM   #37
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

People, people, people. I am old enough to remember when sprint cars were called big cars and did not have roll bars let alone cages and wings. Heck I remember some cars were PULL STARTED with a rope rather than push started. I like all kinds of racing, but would prefer traditional non wing sprints, midgets and of course DIRT CHAMP cars. I will watch street course Indy car racing on TV before I watch NASCAR on TV, but as I type this I am watching the Infinty race waiting for the hockey games and the Derby to come on. The point I am trying to make is we all have choices to make, none is right or wrong, just different. Hopefully it will stop raining here in PA and I will be able to get to Susquehanna Speedway on Sunday. Enjoy the races! PS. I drink my coffee black. (The correct way, LOL)

1 member likes this post: superstock30
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction