IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sun Apr 2 SUMAR Classic USAC Silver Crown + UMP Modifieds
4/3/17, 6:46 PM   #21
Re: Sun Apr 2 SUMAR Classic USAC Silver Crown + UMP Modified
Kansasdirtfan

My lengthy trip from central Kansas to central Illinois to meet up with ISF and the subsequent trip to THAT (thanks again, buddy) was well worth it to me. OK, the track lost a bit in the second half, but seeing a beautiful (and full) field of SC cars and hearing them at full chat is always a treat. Heck, it was worth the price of admission just watching Justin Grant pitch that big momma into 1 & 3 from about halfway down the straightaway! The weather was great, the crowd was great, I got to meet up with some old friends...what's not to like. Thank you to USAC, the Action Track all those involved in the Silver Crown series! With any luck, I'll see them again in about 4 weeks.
Last edited by Kansasdirtfan; 4/3/17 at 6:48 PM. Reason: Fat fingers!

4/3/17, 7:49 PM   #22
ISF

Our pleasure, Bob. We look forward to doin' it all again X 3 in July.

We enjoyed this year's Sumar Classic as much as we've enjoyed a race in a some time. Perfect day. Great fellowship. An unhealthy portion of red meat cooked over hot charcoal. A cold bloody mary with an Ultra for a wash. A large field of the coolest and most beautiful racecars known to exist with the really fast guys drifting those big momma's into #1 sideways at over 100 MPH. If I had gone home following qualifying I'd have felt I had got my money's worth.

Did the track become a huggy pole deal from about 1/2 way on? Yep, but we loved every lap which included watching DD patiently work his way into a solid top 10 from WAY back in the field and JCJ score yet another solid top 5 run. These races can always be better but if ya' didn't enjoy the total experience as a whole I reckon you should examine your status as a race fan.

It's all been said before but I'll happily echo it again. THANK YOU Sarge for what you do in support of our all time favorite division of racecars.

4/3/17, 8:42 PM   #23
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
One think to keep in mind as far as the track conditions. They had rain all week in Terre haute. They probably couldn't get on the track until late Saturday or early Sunday. If they had hadn't packed it, and not over watered it, it probably would have been very rough. I had no complaints. Saw 2 good races this weekend. Good job by all involved.
Yeah, one day this week, Wednesday I think it was, we had over 3" of rain. And then off and on throughout the rest of the week. Race day was the best looking day in quite a few.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 4/3/17 at 8:45 PM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/3/17, 8:52 PM   #24
cornerthree

Made the trip down from Green Bay Wisconsin, via Tipton Iowa. We both enjoyed the show bought a grandstand pass . We also used it to watch hot laps from the infield. I have been wanting to get to a Champ car race for a long time, so I checked that off the bucket list. Now need to see them on a mile dirt track. Is it common to have two hot laps sessions, or was it because of the track condtions?

4/4/17, 7:59 AM   #25
Kart29

Took my young sons to their first ever automobile race. The big one seemed to enjoy it. The little one was still more interested in the cookies we brought along.

Man, that Justin Grant was slinging it hard into turn three. He wasn't worth a dang in the race but at least he was spectacular throwing that thing into the corner.

Something that sticks out in my mind was when I discovered my 6 year old playing with syringe he found laying in the infield grass. That's sort of disappointing but no fault of the track, the sport, or the promoter. I won't let it ruin my enjoyment of the good race. I really thought Leary was going to give us a thrill there the last ten laps.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
4/4/17, 2:16 PM   #26
HDINDY

Great day, Nice to see a great car count and good racing. Met a gentleman
Named Cigar Dave . Worth the price of admission alone.

4/4/17, 3:00 PM   #27
flagboy55

Cigar Dave is a character. I had the pleasure of shooting the bull with him quite a while my self. In his own words, his "no filter" observations are always entertaining. Haven't seen him in a few years, glad I ran into him. Also great to see Brent and oppweld and met a couple more new folks. Always good to enjoy the company of people who love the sport as much as I do!

4/4/17, 9:48 PM   #28
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

I came out from Philadelphia, PA area with a stop in the Ft Knox area to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons. Went to Lawrenceburg for USAC sprints then back to Ft. Knox. Left Ft. Knox at 12 noon and got to Terre Haute just in time to get my ticket and watch hot laps. Got home in Phila around 4:45 Monday night. I am sure you people in the Mid-West realize what great racing you have and I am more than happy to sit through what ever delay there is to see such great racing. Silver Crown racing is a breed like no other and I am old enough to remember when AAA ran dirt champ cars at Williams Grove back in the 50's. Hot laps were worth the price of admission at THAT! Now that Bridgeport, NJ has three tracks in their makeup, we need some promoter to put the on the "USAC Threesome" on the agenda. Midgets on the 1/4 mile, Sprints on the 3/8 mile, and Silver Crown on the 5/8 mile.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, ISF, SpfldMile
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sun Apr 2 SUMAR Classic USAC Silver Crown + UMP Modifieds