IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC vs. Powri doubleheader
7/12/22, 3:34 PM   #1
USAC vs. Powri doubleheader
Daisy's dad

I'm sitting in Beloit, KS in my RV waiting for tomorrow's USAC midget program, after attending Huset's last week. While waiting for ISW over the following 2 weeks, I have a choice between a pair of USAC midget shows on Friday and Saturday in Fairbury, NE or a Powri midget and sprint double header in Grain Valley, MO.

Aside from the midget program likely being stronger on the USAC side, does having non winged sprints on the Powri show justify making that choice instead? Just looking for opinions, as I know nothing about Powri, who runs with them, or the track in Grain Valley. I have been to Fairbury before, and thought it was a neat track. I will take in the Powri show in Sweet Springs, MO, on Sunday, regardless of my other decision.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
7/12/22, 5:02 PM   #2
Re: USAC vs. Powri doubleheader
Andrew S. Quinn

Is Fairbury the track thats literally in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road?

I have been to Grain Valley once years ago. Its no oil painting to look at,but I dont remember being disappointed in going there. Probably 10 years ago now that I went.

I always liked going to new tracks. I just had to learn to keep expectations low. Less disappointments that way.

Split it up,go to Faibury one night,then Grain Valley the next,and be closer to Sweet Springs..
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/12/22 at 5:04 PM.

2 members like this post: Daisy's dad, tirespinner
7/12/22, 6:23 PM   #3
Daisy's dad

Thanks, Andrew. I went to Fairbury 3 years ago for the same 2 day show. I don't recall it being too far out of town, but a little difficult to find, with the access to the camping area being down a separate dirt road that was a ways from the main entrance. Aside from being camped next to a bunch of drunk kids who pi$$ed on my water hose and electric cable for 2 days, I had a good time. The bonus was having full hookups for both days (at $30 per day) rather than running the generator all day long.

I like your suggestion of splitting it up. I may just commit to the first day at Fairbury, get online the next morning to see what happened at Grain Valley, and then decide whether to stay put or head on down the road.

2 members like this post: tirespinner, WinglessLovers
7/12/22, 7:02 PM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

I just did some researching and it was Butler County Speedway in Rising City that I went to for a POWRi race back in 2010. I had gone to Maine the week before to move everything else I owned to Indiana,then got in my van and headed to,Illinois, Missouri,Nebraska,and then off to Belleville Kansas, then back to Indy where I started working where I still work today.

4 members like this post: Daisy's dad, fish, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
7/13/22, 12:28 AM   #5
opnwhlmnd

Don't expect any fan friendly luxury at Grain Valley. As you walk in you will be thinking you are in a shipping container yard instead of a race track. Track food and drinks are very expensive. Be careful on some bleacher sections. You can pay admission at gate in turn four for front chute seating or gate at turn three for back chute seating. You are allowed to go back and forth to either after paying.

I've seen good and bad shows there. Would guess 18 sprint cars and 20 midgets this weekend.

3 members like this post: Daisy's dad, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
7/13/22, 6:04 PM   #6
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Don't expect any fan friendly luxury at Grain Valley. As you walk in you will be thinking you are in a shipping container yard instead of a race track. Track food and drinks are very expensive. Be careful on some bleacher sections. You can pay admission at gate in turn four for front chute seating or gate at turn three for back chute seating. You are allowed to go back and forth to either after paying.

I've seen good and bad shows there. Would guess 18 sprint cars and 20 midgets this weekend.
Pretty spot on for Valley. They tried to run a regional midget series last year, so, I have spent a lot of time at Valley. My personal name for Valley is Sanford and Son Speedway. Besides the shipping containers, you are going to see a ton of broken-down mobile homes, semi rigs and other broken crap.

If you sit on the front straight away, you have the permanent restroom, the concession stands and working speakers. On the back straight away, you have a horrific port a potty, no concession stands, and no speakers. However, you have the sun at your back during the first half of the night. I always sit on the back straight. I also go to the Casey's during intermission to use the restroom and get a snack.

Valley is very hit or miss on the track prep and the track surface. I have seen some outstanding midget shows, and some dust bowls. Always go expecting to see them work the track at some point during the night.

The WAR sprint series has turned into a big unknown. A couple of years ago, WAR had a group split off to form MWRA. Since then, you do not know who will support it or not. Could have 15 cars could have 35.

In year's past, KKM has split their teams and kept a couple racing USAC and a couple racing POWRi, but they all return for Sweet Springs. Keith usually will tweet where everyone is going, but I have not seen that yet. In looking at POWRi car counts, they seem to be down a little this year, but this is a big weekend for them.

Finally, Sweet Springs is a great micro track. The midgets will put on a great show. They will pick up a couple cars from USAC to join the other POWRi cars. Not sure on the details, but WAR is supposed to have a race there on Sunday as well. They had a 'test session' last year that I missed. It could be entertaining, but I am expecting a $hit show. Camping and parking at Sweet Springs are very tight. If I had a camper, I would make plans to get there early.

With all that said, I think your plans on making a decision Saturday morning after you look at the results is the best answer. Valley has a two parking lots and there is usually room for parking in the first lot. I will try to remember to get on here Saturday morning to give you a review.
Last edited by Jonr; 7/13/22 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Corrected sanction references.

2 members like this post: Daisy's dad, tirespinner
7/15/22, 1:56 PM   #7
Daisy's dad

Thanks for that great information, Jonr. I am in Fairbury now and they are under a heat advisory until 8:00. All of the camping spots with hookups were spoken for days ago, so I am in an overflow lot across the street.

I always like to go to a new track, but not at the risk of passing on a good show in order to see a crappy one. I'm sure Fairbury will be good both nights, but for now I will keep an open mind on heading to Grain Valley tomorrow if they ended up with a good field of War sprints.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/15/22, 8:27 PM   #8
Kansasdirtfan

22 WAR Sprints, 15 National and West midgets at Valley Speedway, Friday night.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, luckybuc97, tirespinner
7/16/22, 12:04 AM   #9
Jonr

Valley had a good night of racing. I had a good time and will go back tomorrow.

They did miss on the track prep. It was way too dusty in the mains until the last 10 laps of the WAR sprint main when it took rubber and sealed over. They had a huge bump in turn one and a huge hole in turn three. Hot laps and the heats were exciting as they learned to avoid these items.

Midget car count was very disappointing. 15 cars registered but one had issues all night so it was only 14 racing. WAR car count was decent, but not outstanding. The stands were not that full and there was no energy.

After looking at the USAC entry list, I would say that you saw the better show. Unless you are a track chaser and really want to increase your track count, I would recommend staying there for night two. You will see most of the same cars Sunday at Sweet Springs.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/16/22, 10:46 AM   #10
Daisy's dad

I didn't get to see any racing last night. The generator in my RV died half way through the hot afternoon. SInce I travel with my dog, I had to go and find a place with hookups. Ended up in a city park in downtown Fairbury where I could hear the racing about 3 miles away. Changed the fuel pump in the generator early this morning, and still no luck. One more long shot to try, but I suspect I'll be heading back to AZ in an hour or so. Thank-you for the update, though.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC vs. Powri doubleheader