IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ronmil (Offline)
  #1 7/23/18 5:13 PM
I was going through my records to confirm the year that we had cancellations at two tracks,
In 2006 Sprint Week began July 13th at North Vernon, followed by Bloomington on the 14th, and Haubstadt on the 15th.
Apparently there was a break as the next events were set at Lawrenceburg on the 20th and Terre Haute on the 21st.
Earlene and I reserved a room at Lawrenceburg and checked in before going out to the track. When we got there we found the event was canceled because of a predicted storm.
We went back to the motel and spent the night which was totally rain free.
We drove to Terre Haute, arriving just as the crowd was leaving because the race was canceled due to some light sprinkles. We stayed around a while and it never did rain.
Don’t know who the promoter was at Lawrenceburg, and I am not sure about Terre Haute, but it may have been during the Allison regime.
Anyone else remember those two bogus rainouts?

Ron Miller
2 Likes: jim goerge, tirespinner
mlamb (Offline)
  #2 7/23/18 5:45 PM
Oh ya, I remember those rainouts. I remember leaving Lawrenceburg wondering why were werent racing. Felt bad for "Fresno Tim" as him and his family came from out west for that.
Terre Haute, I believe that was the rainout we left and ran up to Danville, Illinois they ran a heat or two and we got rained out again.
Dickie Gaines also went up to Danville that night.
3 Likes: jim goerge, ronmil, tirespinner
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #3 7/23/18 9:54 PM
I went to the first part of that Speedweek. Wasn’t there a race at Kokomo that Sunday?I could be mixing up years.
2 Likes: jim goerge, tirespinner
ronmil (Offline)
  #4 7/23/18 10:14 PM
I don’t believe Kokomo was a part of Sprint Week yet in 2006.

Ron Miller
KingRandomUser (Offline)
  #5 7/24/18 12:14 AM
The schedule was Twin Cities, Bloomington, Tri-state then Kokomo on Sunday the 16th. Then the break, then Gas City on the 19th, Terre Haute, and Lawrenceburg to finish out the week.
I remember this year as it was my first time going to Kokomo since it was reconfigured, the first time going the entire week, and first time ever getting to Gas City.
gtownplowboy (Offline)
  #6 7/24/18 12:23 AM
Kokomo was an original track for sprint week.. I believe Mr. Lipkey was one of the founders of this whole thing. Kokomo has been on the schedule since the start..
gtownplowboy (Offline)
  #7 7/24/18 12:27 AM
July 13, 2006 – Twin Cities Raceway Park - Winner: Mat Neely

July 14, 2006 - Bloomington Speedway - Winner: Brady Short

July 15, 2006 – Tri-State Speedway - Winner: Jon Stanbrough

July 16, 2006 – Kokomo Speedway - Winner: Jon Stanbrough

July 19, 2006 – Gas City I-69 Speedway - Winner: Jon Stanbrough

July 20, 2006 – Lawrenceburg Speedway - Rain Out

July 21, 2006 – Terre Haute Action Track - Rain Out
2 Likes: ronmil, tirespinner
KingRandomUser (Offline)
  #8 7/24/18 2:10 AM
Originally Posted by gtownplowboy:
Kokomo was an original track for sprint week.. I believe Mr. Lipkey was one of the founders of this whole thing. Kokomo has been on the schedule since the start..
There was actually 1 year, 2004, Kokomo was not on the ISW Schedule. Bloomington is the only track that has been on every ISW schedule since it began.
2 Likes: ronmil, tirespinner
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #9 7/24/18 9:06 AM
That 2006 Kokomo race was a classic, much like probably most of the races there.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, tirespinner