IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?
4/9/20, 7:56 PM   #1
State fair races in jeopardy?
Joe Schaub

The one who possesses the title of Governor in Illinois is suggesting there be no large gatherings until a vaccine is available for the Wuhan Virus. If this is something he puts forth in an edict, I am thinking the State Fair miles will be silent this year.

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20200409/p...JOuivQGXogT-Ws

Thoughts?

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
4/9/20, 11:18 PM   #2
Re: State fair races in jeopardy?
ISF

Obviously, if the governor of Illinois puts forth an executive order of the sort you quote there certainly will not be racing on either of the mile dirt tracks at Springfield and Du Quoin.

I would fear for the future of both fair events if in fact they are cancelled. Given the dire financial circumstances of the State of Illinois and more specifically a total cancellation of either one or both fair's at this point could be a tipping point. Let's hope that doesn't become an issue. August and September is a long way off. A lot can happen between now and them and lets hope its positive as opposed to negative
Last edited by ISF; 4/9/20 at 11:21 PM.

4/9/20, 11:25 PM   #3
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schaub View Post
The one who possesses the title of Governor in Illinois is suggesting there be no large gatherings until a vaccine is available for the Wuhan Virus. If this is something he puts forth in an edict, I am thinking the State Fair miles will be silent this year.

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20200409/p...JOuivQGXogT-Ws

Thoughts?
Many thoughts about the one you speak of...I will refrain from posting them tho...lol

Will any tracks in IL get to race??? Time will tell...ideally he'd "allow" events without fans at least...and we'd have to find a way for them to get streamed on www or even a TV pickup...(we can dream! lol)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/10/20, 1:24 AM   #4

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

well when your only weapons against the virus until the cure is found are washing your hands and social distancing I would say he is correct.

There is an option that will get us to the track sooner. You just need to get every living sole on the planet to self isolate for the same two weeks snuffing this thing out. If we get on this next week we can be at the track in may. Who's in?

2 members like this post: bighd0522, tirespinner
4/10/20, 1:33 AM   #5
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
well when your only weapons against the virus until the cure is found are washing your hands and social distancing I would say he is correct.

There is an option that will get us to the track sooner. You just need to get every living sole on the planet to self isolate for the same two weeks snuffing this thing out. If we get on this next week we can be at the track in may. Who's in?
& there would be no more car accidents if we NEVER left our houses...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/10/20, 11:39 AM   #6
racer-x

The news media thinks after all this is done it would be a good idea to stop hand shaking also.
Remember what the former mayor of Chicago said “never let a crisis go to waist”.

4/10/20, 12:49 PM   #7
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schaub View Post
Governor in Illinois is suggesting there be no large gatherings until a vaccine is available for the Wuhan Virus.
Interesting in that there is no 100% vaccine for seasonal flu either. And although no one worries much about it the flu is every bit as deadly as the Wuhan Virus in numbers of deaths. Every year there is an educated guess made over which flu virus mutations will be predominant for the upcoming season. Some years the vaccine is pretty effective and other years it is nearly useless. The same thing is going to be true for COVID-19. Next season's virus likely will have mutated into a new one labeled COVID-20 (?) or something else. Either way there is not going to be any vaccine that is 100% effective. One way or another we will likely be living with this one for a long time.

The good news is that there are several new treatments that are showing good results against the virus and more and more people are recovering completely. This might be the real answer to the problem instead of a vaccine.

4/10/20, 12:50 PM   #8
axman897

If JB has it his way, this will probably be true. We are week 4 or 5 into this and to be honest, we don't know what this virus will really look like in the summer. Let's face it, none of these medical doctors want to be on the low end of projections. On a different note, will we even have teams to go and race if we end up in a depression? At this rate, could we easily have 20-30% unemployment? We need people to use actual facts. If you look at the data in IL, things are looking promising for the future. Now what JB decides to do, that is a different story.

2 members like this post: Great Scott, jdull99
4/10/20, 4:08 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

Unfortunately, I think it is entirely possible that it may be another 3-4 months until we see a lifting of the orders banning gatherings of large groups of people. I think it will be at least 12 months, at the earliest, before we see a vaccine released for the general public. So to answer the original question: yes, I think the two IL Fair races are in jeopardy. I sincerely hope I am wrong!

4 members like this post: bighd0522, jdull99, Speedmax3, tirespinner
4/10/20, 6:33 PM   #10
Speedmax3

I think they will cautiously lift the restrictions in stages and realistically it could be another year before there all gone. Probably try to start opening some more business first and get some people back to work and see how that goes. I don't foresee any gatherings of lets say 500 for months. They need to come up with a treatment that will take care of most people that get this virus. I'd say its 50/50 of seeing racing later this summer.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?