IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?
4/10/20, 7:45 PM   #11
Re: State fair races in jeopardy?
axman897

On a positive note, other countries are trying sports again soon. It will be interesting to see how it goes. It will be interesting to see what each state does....

3 members like this post: jdull99, Speedmax3, tirespinner
4/10/20, 10:18 PM   #12
trackprep

Race Count This Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Many thoughts about the one you speak of...I will refrain from posting them tho...lol

Will any tracks in IL get to race??? Time will tell...ideally he'd "allow" events without fans at least...and we'd have to find a way for them to get streamed on www or even a TV pickup...(we can dream! lol)
Yes but who will pay for the purse. And livestream won’t cover it. Right now there are expenses we are having to pay at the track with nothing coming in. And I’m in Illinois and I won’t go political per the rules.

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, sprinter31, tirespinner
4/10/20, 11:51 PM   #13
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackprep View Post
Yes but who will pay for the purse. And livestream won’t cover it. Right now there are expenses we are having to pay at the track with nothing coming in. And I’m in Illinois and I won’t go political per the rules.
Livestream plus sponsors, and entry fees...BUT I know, it's gona be HARD to find sponsors AND teams that can pay up...sad times...

It hit me today when every newspaper at the gas station had a headline to call off all the summer festivals...BUT, if you think about, since (for some reason) towns and the State lose $ on all this stuff (which is hard to understand when everything cost $6-$8, at the cheapest...but I know the State we are talking of...lol), I'd imagine anything that might cost more $, will be cancelled...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/11/20, 12:14 AM   #14
flagboy55

Curious if any of our Pennsylvania friends can comment on the virus in their state around the areas of Lincoln and the Grove. Pretty sure they ran 3 or 4 races when this whole thing was starting. Just wonder if anyone thinks those races, which were well attended, had any affect on race fans getting sick?

3 members like this post: PIT CART, PJ Wright, tirespinner
4/11/20, 8:59 AM   #15
jonboat15

I'm from PA right between Lincoln and the Grove and I went to both tracks. The last weekend was when the virus was in the news a lot and I felt bold enough to go to the tracks, I didn't see any social distancing. I feel slightly guilty about going now but its over and I'm not sick and no one I know is sick. My racing friends I only see at the track so I don't know how most of them are doing. If people got it from being at a track I'm pretty sure our local news would be on it. Our state is shut down like most others nothing happening here just the pretty colors of Spring. They did open trout season this week and there was plenty of people standing shoulder to shoulder, they brought cops in to separate them.

4/11/20, 9:13 AM   #16
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

Hi gang, I live in Montgomery County, PA. This is the first hot spot in the state. I am a retired high school science teacher who was driving two separate special needs students for a private transportation company when it first hit. One school on the border of Bucks and Montgomery Counties was closed on its own by the district, but only one specific school, because a doctor who had a practice in Western Montco was tested positive after a trip to Egypt and had at least one child patient who visited the office. This caused several other districts near the office to close all of their schools. The afternoon school was still open so I continued with that run. The company that gave me a run from a local railroad station to take workers to a J & J manufacturing plant near the station. I did that run for several days picking up 8 to 10 people and still did the afternoon school run. By the end of the week, the State closed ALL the schools in the county and issued a voluntary ban on travel. The J & J run stayed open, but two days later the whole state school system was shut down and non-essential work was shut down. With that happening, the J & J run went down to two essential workers for one day and then the plant was shut down for 2 weeks with the idea they would reopen on March 30th. They are still closed. I did go to Lincoln's and Port Royal's openers and was planning to Harrisburg for a special program at the National Civil War Museum on Saturday then hit Port Royal's show that afternoon and the Sunday opener at Williams Grove. Being 72 years old and being from the PA "ground zero" area, my wife and kids "suggested" that I not go. Well I am sure you can figure out who won that argument. By Monday after the Grove date, the state was basically shut down even though, for some reason Gov Wolf said that he did not have the power to stop racing in the state and the local tracks were planning to run. By Wednesday the tracks were also shut. I am sorry for the length of this report, but I felt background was needed. I am not sure everyone and a lot of people outside of Philadelphia area and other large population centers realize the seriousness of this situation. Yes, this is a virus, and yes there are a lot of similarities with the "normal flu." But, we are in unknown territory as how this COVID-19 works, with the "normal flu" science has been able to predict what strain will be dominate and develop a vaccine and treatment for that flu season and yes we still have 1000s of deaths each year. Right now, I will be shocked if we race here in the East before the middle of June, especially this week since Wolf shut the all schools for the rest of year and there a lot of people out of work and there are businesses that are in danger of failing. My buddies from Reading and I are looking to head to Iowa for the Indy car race on Friday, July 17 and hit Knoxville on Saturday, July 18 for tracks we have never been to. We are have our tickets for the Indy 500 and hope to hit Gas City the Friday before the 500 along with Lincoln Park as usual except it will be in August not May. I am lucky as my wife is still working as a companion for a woman in a health care facility and gets checked everyday for signs of COVID-19 and she only allows me to do house work and yard work while she does all of the shopping. I have had contact with my kids and grandkids through zoom and also attended some Civil War Round Tables meeting with zoom. Again, sorry for the length, but as we are saying here in PA, "Take care and be safe" I will see you at the races!

4/11/20, 12:51 PM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2140rc View Post
Interesting in that there is no 100% vaccine for seasonal flu either. And although no one worries much about it the flu is every bit as deadly as the Wuhan Virus in numbers of deaths. Every year there is an educated guess made over which flu virus mutations will be predominant for the upcoming season. Some years the vaccine is pretty effective and other years it is nearly useless. The same thing is going to be true for COVID-19. Next season's virus likely will have mutated into a new one labeled COVID-20 (?) or something else. Either way there is not going to be any vaccine that is 100% effective. One way or another we will likely be living with this one for a long time.

The good news is that there are several new treatments that are showing good results against the virus and more and more people are recovering completely. This might be the real answer to the problem instead of a vaccine.
Not true: From "Living Science":
The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

4/11/20, 2:04 PM   #18
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Hard to believe that Indiana no longer has a fairgrounds race track, at least where cars allowed to race!

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel, Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
4/11/20, 4:10 PM   #19
sp6967

we import everything from china...... good or bad.

3 members like this post: PIT CART, racer-x, skids59
4/12/20, 12:35 PM   #20
sw1911

JB is a large gathering himself. Gotta laugh at his suits that make his shoulders look six feet wide. Oh to be a billionaire. He never thought this governor gig would be so much activity. I hesitate to call it work.....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?