IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts
2/11/24, 12:02 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I'm not into the technical side of things, rules, formats, etc. Most of us thought top 2 go to redraw but that wasn't the case. Another thought they went off of time but that wasn't the case. So anyone that has the answer, it would be greatly appreciated as multiple people in our racing family doesn't understand it.

Amantea got 3rd in his heat, qualified 16th, started on the pole? JG got 2nd in his heat, qualified 4th, started 4th? Robert won his heat, qualified 24th, started 10th? KCummins got 2nd in his heat, qualified 23rd, started 24th? Motor change that none of us seen or heard? Pursley got 4th in his heat, qualified 6th, started outside front row? Stockon QuickTime, got 5th in his heat, started 6th? Brady got 6th in his heat, so he goes to the B, qualified 13th, and started 17th? KT 4th in heat, qualified 5th, started 3rd? Leary 6th in his heat, so he goes to the B, wins, qualified 2nd, starts 11th? Just not figuring or grasping the format no matter how we look at it...education here would be much appreciated.

2nd question...JG, Brady, some others run all black rims. That's one thing. Multiple cars including but not limited to Bright, KCummins, KT, have black rims on the right side and most the time on the left front as well. However, left rear is generally chrome or polished rim. I know why wheel covers are used but what's up with the left rear and occasionally the left front not matching the right side? Money thing, preference thing, easier and faster to grab wheels if rims are color coordinated, someone feel free to educate me please.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 2/11/24 at 12:27 PM.

2 members like this post: oppweld, TQ29m
2/11/24, 12:40 PM   #2
Re: Questions For The Experts
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
I'm not into the technical side of things, rules, formats, etc. Most of us thought top 2 go to redraw but that wasn't the case. Another thought they went off of time but that wasn't the case. So anyone that has the answer, it would be greatly appreciated as multiple people in our racing family doesn't understand it.

Amantea got 3rd in his heat, qualified 16th, started on the pole? JG got 2nd in his heat, qualified 4th, started 4th? Robert won his heat, qualified 24th, started 10th? KCummins got 2nd in his heat, qualified 23rd, started 24th? Motor change that none of us seen or heard? Pursley got 4th in his heat, qualified 6th, started outside front row? Stockon QuickTime, got 5th in his heat, started 6th? Brady got 6th in his heat, so he goes to the B, qualified 13th, and started 17th? KT 4th in heat, qualified 5th, started 3rd? Leary 6th in his heat, so he goes to the B, wins, qualified 2nd, starts 11th? Just not figuring or grasping the format no matter how we look at it...education here would be much appreciated.
There's no redraw.

Amantea qualified 9th, not 16th. That might be where your confusion is coming from.

HEAT RACES: Top-6 cars are inverted in each heat race based on qualifying results. The fastest car starts 6th, the second fastest car starts 5th and so on. For the 4th row on back, cars will line up straight up, based on their qualifying times.

SEMI: The front row starting positions of the semi will be reserved for the fastest two (2) non-transfers. Starting lineup will be determined by heat race finish from row two on back.

FEATURE: Starting positions determined by qualifying time, 6 fastest at the front, with the 6 fastest qualifiers who transferred through their heat races inverted by their qualifying time in the first three rows, positions 1-6. If a heat race winner is not in the top-6 inversion, that driver will line up directly behind the six-car invert, based on their qualifying time, followed by the balance of the field based on qualifying time. 24 starting cars (not including earned provisionals).

QUALIFYING RESULTS:
1. Chase Stockon (Transferred Through Heat - Started 6th in Feature)
2. C.J. Leary (Did Not Transfer Through Heat)
3. Logan Seavey (Transferred Through Heat - Started 5th in Feature)
4. Justin Grant (Transferred Through Heat - Started 4th in Feature)
5. Kevin Thomas Jr. (Transferred Through Heat - Started 3rd in Feature)
6. Daison Pursley (Transferred Through Heat - Started 2nd in Feature)
7. Zach Daum (Did Not Transfer Through Heat)
8. Brandon Mattox (Did Not Transfer Through Heat)
9. Joey Amantea (Transferred Through Heat - Started 1st in Feature)

Amantea was the 6th fastest qualifier who also transferred through his heat, thus he started on the pole since the top-6 positions are inverted in the feature starting lineup.
Last edited by richie; 2/11/24 at 12:48 PM.

2/11/24, 12:57 PM   #3
DirtTrackTherapy16J

My bad on the Amantea qualifying spot...I obviously read that wrong, my apologies. That likely would be some of the confusion. Doesn't seem right that someone gets bumped backwards from their qualifying time, this case KCummins gets bumped from 23rd to 24th bc Robert was 24th and went to 10th bc of winning his heat race by rule/format. But I dont make the rules, just follow the racing.

Thanks for the response, answer, and time Richie. Hopefully someone will answer the wheel thing, not that it matters, just curious is all.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/14/24, 2:48 PM   #4
flagboy55

When I saw question for experts, I had to leap into action 😉

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
2/14/24, 3:23 PM   #5
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
When I saw question for experts, I had to leap into action 😉
By all means jump in, and I wasn't being a smart*** when I said questions for the experts. There's multiple people on here that have been involved in racing for 50-60+ years including but not limited to a man that is partially responsible for getting me back into racing that I call a good friend and a walking encyclopedia of racing. That's long before I was even thought about being I'm 41. I'm definitely not an expert especially on formats/rules, that kind of stuff. I was away from racing for about 25 years due to injury at a track. I missed ALOT of things racing related in those 25 years. I've been trying to learn since I came back. I'm never too old or too good to learn and be educated.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 2/14/24 at 3:25 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing
2/14/24, 3:47 PM   #6
DirtTrackTherapy16J

New question after last night. I've read and heard in person and on so many different platforms of social media except on here, that last night's crash in the first Amain, basically Tuesday's Amain, involving Bacon, Rogers, Trey, JG, Bright, and another, that it was allllllll Rogers fault. From the screen I was watching, it appeared to be all Bacon's fault. It obviously changed several drivers position including Brady's and Rogers, and it caused damage to at least 3 cars. In the end, it's done and over but I like to be educated and not just hear Rogers fans side and Bacon's fans side.

So what I read from alot of people was Rogers shouldn't have been up there being a lapped car. To me he wasn't a lapped car yet, he was about to be. He was battling for his respective position with other drivers, trying to earn what money he could, doesn't he have the right to be on the high side just like anyone else?

Now I'm not sure what turn that was not ever being there at that track, bc the camera angle I had didnt show it very well, kinda looked like 4 to me, but had he crossed the line yet of being told by the Flagman to go down low? Do they do that there? I've seen that at many tracks and races...Flagman points to the low side being they are now a lapped car. Does it come over the driver radios that your lapped, move to the low side out of the way of the lead lap cars?

I find it hard to believe, although not a Bacon fan, that Brady deliberately ran him over running for a podium spot battling with KT for 2nd/3rd and junked his car on purpose and dropped to 20th instead of the podium, on purpose. That would be nonsense to me and I'd probably quite watching racing if that was the case.

So there's the side that it was just racing and an unfortunate incident that took out several cars and "that's just racing". Or did Rogers know and just disregard the rules and the Flagman and the radios and kept his line? IF that's the case, is there not any kind of consequences for an action like that? Again I'm eliminating Brady did it on purpose, IF Brady did do it on purpose then I believe there should be consequences for that as well, but I just dont buy that Brady did it on purpose and wouldn't believe that unless I heard it come from Brady's mouth himself.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 2/14/24 at 3:50 PM.

2/14/24, 4:25 PM   #7
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
New question after last night. I've read and heard in person and on so many different platforms of social media except on here, that last night's crash in the first Amain, basically Tuesday's Amain, involving Bacon, Rogers, Trey, JG, Bright, and another, that it was allllllll Rogers fault. From the screen I was watching, it appeared to be all Bacon's fault. It obviously changed several drivers position including Brady's and Rogers, and it caused damage to at least 3 cars. In the end, it's done and over but I like to be educated and not just hear Rogers fans side and Bacon's fans side.

So what I read from alot of people was Rogers shouldn't have been up there being a lapped car. To me he wasn't a lapped car yet, he was about to be. He was battling for his respective position with other drivers, trying to earn what money he could, doesn't he have the right to be on the high side just like anyone else?

Now I'm not sure what turn that was not ever being there at that track, bc the camera angle I had didnt show it very well, kinda looked like 4 to me, but had he crossed the line yet of being told by the Flagman to go down low? Do they do that there? I've seen that at many tracks and races...Flagman points to the low side being they are now a lapped car. Does it come over the driver radios that your lapped, move to the low side out of the way of the lead lap cars?

I find it hard to believe, although not a Bacon fan, that Brady deliberately ran him over running for a podium spot battling with KT for 2nd/3rd and junked his car on purpose and dropped to 20th instead of the podium, on purpose. That would be nonsense to me and I'd probably quite watching racing if that was the case.

So there's the side that it was just racing and an unfortunate incident that took out several cars and "that's just racing". Or did Rogers know and just disregard the rules and the Flagman and the radios and kept his line? IF that's the case, is there not any kind of consequences for an action like that? Again I'm eliminating Brady did it on purpose, IF Brady did do it on purpose then I believe there should be consequences for that as well, but I just dont buy that Brady did it on purpose and wouldn't believe that unless I heard it come from Brady's mouth himself.
Not sure what angle you were watching. But, Rogers wasn't racing anyone for position at the time Bacon got into him. All Rogers fault.

2/14/24, 4:55 PM   #8
kb78

I just re-watched this, looks to me like Rogers is minding his business up on the cushion trying to complete laps and then he got over the cushion a little bit and had either had to lift to recover or the motor stumbled, either way Rogers car was spewing flames before Bacon hit him.
Looks like a racing deal to me, Rogers wasn't trying to be in the way and Bacon had no chance to miss him up there. I do not buy into the ideal that a lapped car should or shouldn't be anywhere on the track, as long as they hold their line then the leaders should be able to get by them. It is a high percentage of the times that the race is single file until they get to lapped traffic and that's what makes a race really good, if the lapped cars should all of the sudden just be relegated to a lesser part of the track it will lead to more cautions due to spin-outs IMO.

2/15/24, 10:48 AM   #9
Hubie48

I think Bacon had a run of really crummy luck. I would like to know what was on his mind as he walked to Rogers car? From my viewing angle (that would be my couch watching TV) Jaden hooked the tire, motor burped and goofed while Bacon was hauling the mail keeping up with KTJ. Brady was at the wrong place at the wrong time and went broadsliding into the side of an out of shape Jadon Rogers.

I would like to think that Brady was walking over to see if Jaden was unhurt. Rogers came out of the car and walked away leaving Brady on the other side.

I felt Bacon's frustration while being interviewed for his second place finish. Brady is a seasoned Champion driver and sometimes racing can be the epitome of frustration. As he said, he had a podium car for all the events but his luck was being caught up in someone else's goof. It's been that way forever and in my eyes Bacon has always been a straight up class act. He just wasn't happy and I totally understand.

and another thing I will mention

I thought Grant, our two time defending champion, was really throwing caution to the wind with some of the slide jobs he was throwing. I just hope that when it bites him in the butt he accepts the fact the other guy has every right to plow into the rear of his machine. Some of those bombs looked straight out of the Chili Bowl Midget racing playbook.
Last edited by Hubie48; 2/15/24 at 11:10 AM. Reason: facts wrong

3 members like this post: bighd0522, DirtTrackTherapy16J, progressive22
2/15/24, 12:04 PM   #10
nodramazone20

Ponder this....Substitute Bacon for Rodgers and RB for Bacon and the conversation on here is TOTALLY different. I believe this was a racing deal.....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts