IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I-30 Closing? Short Track Nat
8/31/22, 8:57 AM   #1
I-30 Closing? Short Track Nat
miledirt

https://www.mysaline.com/speedway-sale/

8/31/22, 10:14 AM   #2
TQ29m

Kinda hard to hide a junkyard. Could cover it up with money.

8/31/22, 10:16 AM   #3
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Looks like the same outfit is taking out both I 30 and Grandview.

4 members like this post: CRA91, jdull99, luckybuc97, TQ29m
8/31/22, 10:30 AM   #4
Re: I-30 Closing? Short Track Nat
Midget98

First the news of Grandview and now I-30. Both are linked to purchase offers or rezoning requests from Copart, Inc. The company must have figured out that junkyards fit well where racetracks are currently.

3 members like this post: CRA91, jdull99, TQ29m
8/31/22, 4:44 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well you think about it. Many older racetracks had oil dumped all over it and tires burried for years. It would take six feet of soil removal to develop it for most anything else. Junkyard is turn key.

5 members like this post: 3R, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99, SOROKACH35FAN
9/3/22, 1:23 AM   #6
jdull99

I've heard this from many (about "oil dumped" all over) and I'm only asking for conversation and not an argument, but, as I was born in 1981, we kinda had already got pretty far on LOTS of environment friendly stuff (much of its good, some of it is far fetched of late); BUT, I was never at a race track when people were just dumping oil and antifreeze car after car day after day onto the ground. Was that a thing like back before say the late 80s? I could only imagine people slipping and sliding if there was this much oil on the ground? Or was it more a thing where they collected it in a drum and then it went away (off to the back forest?...where the tires most likely ended up too...). Either way, I'm no expert (on anything) but I would just think a factory running 2-3 shifts a day, on a property, all year long, were the ones that really contaminated grounds, than race tracks that operated 20-25 times a year? I'm not saying that race tracks did NOT put containments into the ground, but I am wondering if it was way worse than I am imagining; back in the day?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/3/22, 2:02 AM   #7
Pitdad

It was way worse back in the day.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I-30 Closing? Short Track Nat