IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starter System for a midget
8/15/11, 9:38 PM   #1
Starter System for a midget
wheelnut

Hello

I am looking for a stater system for a midgt.

I would prefer the type which attaches to the rearend rather than the motorplate.

But will look at all options

Any help appreciated

Paul

8/27/11, 9:34 PM   #2
Re: Starter System for a midget
wheelnut

Ok lets try another angle

Does anybody here have any knowledge of starter systems for midgets??

Either engine plate mounted or rearend mounted??

Any info will be appreciated

8/28/11, 5:26 PM   #3
gearguy

I had a system I intended to put in my vintage VW powered car. It was built & used in the Chicago area during that short period of time USAC mandated self starters. It had an alumium flywheel with a high torque starter motor and a multi-plate [3.5" diameter] clutch with hyraulic throw-out bearing. The car was too tight to fit it so I sold it to a Kiwi company which was considering designing something similar.

A couple of friends put Tilton systems in vintage cars. They are pricey units based upon the Silver Crown unit. Expect to part with $1500 or more.

I just saw a rear cover mounted unit today. The new owner searched long and far before finding it on E-Bay.

While I like self starters [we have one on our Buzzard-Focus] but wonder how well they would do on high compression motors. The Scream Focus system has been reliable but I am warned parts are hard to get, particularly the spline shaft that goes into the clutch. Also the bronze bushing for the crank.

That is all I know about midget starters.

8/29/11, 5:26 AM   #4
wheelnut

Thanks gearguy. Its for a vintage midget application. We run a little less compression and dont tell anyone but but even a little less on the cam as well to make it more driver friendly as we arent trying to win the next feature race!!!
Last edited by wheelnut; 8/31/11 at 4:18 AM.

8/29/11, 10:02 AM   #5
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
Hello

I am looking for a stater system for a midgt.

I would prefer the type which attaches to the rearend rather than the motorplate.

But will look at all options

Any help appreciated

Paul
Paul, I built a few, rear end mounted starters, just so you could start the engine, and not have to put the car all together to do so. I didn't have any luck selling them in the surrounding area, so I ended up, putting them on ebay, and they all went to Aus or NZ. I think I still have a parts list, and maybe a drawing or 2. Bob!

8/29/11, 1:46 PM   #6
bart

What engine-rear end combination are you using?

I put a starter on my V8-60.

Bart

9/2/11, 6:58 PM   #7
wheelnut

Chevy II / halibrand

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starter System for a midget