IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #21 6/14/10 11:03 PM
For once we are getting off lucky in Springfield, IL. Jerry, while you were getting drowned in Lincoln on Saturday we got less than 1/2 inch. Today was pretty calm with just a trace. Looks like it really intensified when it left Illinois. Hope all of you are safe.

Frank Daigh
Onlydirt (Offline)
  #22 6/15/10 12:12 AM
Kokomo cant take much more and be ready for Sunday that for sure....my backyard still has standing water, could onjly mow half the darn yard! I am over this heavy rain every day or every other day.
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #23 6/15/10 12:24 AM
Rough night here where I am, looks like an all nighter.

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
ScottLimbert (Offline)
  #24 6/15/10 1:07 AM
It is with great regret to inform all that Big Butter Jesus didnt survive the storm>
MONROE — The large Jesus statue iconic to Interstate 75 in Monroe is destroyed following an apparent lightning strike during a thunderstorm.

Motorists were stopped along the highway and around the Monroe area to watch the 62-foot “King of Kings” statue burn. The fire was reported just 11:15 p.m. Monday, June 15. Within minutes, all that was left was the steel frame of the statue at Solid Rock Church, 904 N. Union Road.

Church member Cassie Browning, 27 of Dayton, said she was driving north on I-75 on her way back from Tennessee when her family noticed the statue was missing. “It meant so much to so many people,” said Browning.

“It’s crazy,” said Ted Williams, 35, of Monroe, who could see the statue ablaze from a Shell gas station along Ohio 63.

After midnight, the fire had spread to the nearby amphitheater of the church, according to dispatchers. There were no reports of injuries.

The statue, which appeared to come out of the water, was known by multiple nicknames since it was built in 2004, including “Touchdown Jesus” because the arms are raised upward, similar to a motion made when a touchdown is scored in football. It also was known as “Big Butter Jesus” after comedian Heywood Banks referred to it as such and created a song about the statue, which he performed on radio’s “The Bob and Tom Show.”

It was constructed of wood and styrofoam over a steel framework that was anchored in concrete and covered with a fiberglass mat and resin exterior, according to the church. It was slated for renovations this summer.

Crews responded from Monroe, Middletown, Liberty Twp., Deerfield Twp. and Trenton, according to dispatchers.

Messages left at the church late Monday were not returned.
wildman92 (Offline)
  #25 6/15/10 7:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dirtfan:
Rough night here where I am, looks like an all nighter.
Thought about you guys last night Dan - hope everything is ok and that you were able to get some sleep.

Jen Kelley (she/her)
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #26 6/15/10 5:42 PM
How are things in Hoosier land tonight? Just rain here in Wisconsin, no windy conditions.
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #27 6/15/10 6:01 PM
Another drenching rain just passed us in central IL. Enough to rain out Macon and ruin my night. It looks like we missed the worst of it, though. Buckle up Indiana, its coming your way.

For those about to rock, we salute you.
Jerry Spencer (Offline)
  #28 6/15/10 6:22 PM
Originally Posted by SpfldMile:
Another drenching rain just passed us in central IL. Enough to rain out Macon and ruin my night. It looks like we missed the worst of it, though. Buckle up Indiana, its coming your way.
We had a lite rain around 4 p.m. the forecast calls for severe weather later on this evening. Living in Springfield for a couple of days we kinda keep an eye out for you guys. Kokomo has had a little over 5 inches of rain in the last few days, less than some and more than others but plenty in my opinion. Hope to see everyone at Gas City Wed. 6/16/2010 Sarah and I will celebrate 32 years, so far we have spent all of them at a race track somewhere.

I would also like to thank everyone on this board for not getting bent out of shape when a promoter calls a race due to the weather, they are trying hard to get the race in, sometimes you just have to step back and wait for another day.

P.S. Thank you for the heads up SpfldMile

Jerry #66j
stida.com
v8j (Offline)
  #29 6/15/10 6:59 PM
severe weather hang on.im going back to shop to work on building a boat
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #30 6/15/10 8:31 PM
Yesterday was light, today was 1.25 inches with more possibly on the way. Tomorrow I may take out the tomatoes and plant rice.

Frank Daigh