IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/5/23, 11:00 AM   #121
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
JJMooney

Digging into the memory bank again for these…

Capital Speedway, Holts Summit MO (10/22/94): Back in the day Holts Summit was kind of an open wheel hot spot. There are probably some on this board who've been there when it was happening place for sprint cars. By 1994 not so much. It was a NASCAR-sanctioned, dirt stock car track. My only visit to Holts Summit saw just 12 360’s on hand. Most were California cars. By “California cars” I mean “Double X Speedway, California MO cars”. Little Rock’s Rick Logan won. I don’t remember much else. Track closed 20 years ago and is now a housing development, I think.

Thunder Hill Raceway, Mayetta KS (8/20/95): Located north of Topeka in East Jesus somewhere. When the track first opened, they hosted the Jayhawk Nationals. The event was rained out twice in the days leading up to the ’95 Knoxville Nationals. The first time, the pits were just chock full of sprint cars. There must have been 60 cars. Then, of course, it rained. Drove back the next day. Rained again. Rescheduled for the Sunday after Knoxville. Came back and saw Kenny Jacobs win.

Could-a-should-a-would-a: I wish I had seen sprint cars at Macomb IL. The track is long gone. 1/5 mile. They had a 360 show there twenty-some years ago. I heard it was nuts. I also saw mention here of McHenry KY. That’s another one I wish I saw. There was talk just a few years ago that it might reopen.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, mlamb, oldfan49
2/5/23, 12:01 PM   #122
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Was that the time you guys were late to staging and they put him to the tail and he won the race going away? That lit a fire under him.
We were there and it was an awesome drive by Coons!!! Don't get Jerry mad!!! He even jumped the massive cushion in turn four battling for third with I believe Ricky Gaunt or Danny Sheridan and both of them drove back up over the cushion never missing a beat!!! Coons passed Dave Darland with four to go for the lead!!! Bought a Jerry Coons Jr. sweatshirt after that which I will wear. It was great racing!!!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, Ilovedirttrackracing
2/5/23, 12:05 PM   #123
WinglessLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
World of outlaws show St. Petersburg Florida inside the Thunderdome now called Tropicana Field home of the Tampa Bay rays baseball team.
Nashville fairgrounds speedway (pavement) awol 360 wing sprint cars .(we won )
Man, those races at St. Pete sure got dirty with dust on everything including the seats up in the press box!!!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, interpreter66
2/5/23, 12:12 PM   #124
WinglessLovers

My wife and I were fortunate to have attended the last race ever at Ascot. It was a memory that will stay with us for the rest of our lives!!! What a place to see a race and the folks who sat in turn one had to be nuts as they threw them into that turn and the dirt balls flew like buckshot!!!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel :8

2/5/23, 12:34 PM   #125
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
RE: Belle-Clair...

Now, hang on. Midgets at Belle-Clair – yes. Plenty of people on this board have been to Belle-Clair for midgets. SPRINT CARS at Belle-Clair? I’m guessing not many have seen that. Sprint cars have only been to Belle-Clair a handful of times. I was there for a few of them:

7/29/99: Winged sprint cars raced at Belle-Clair during the St Clair County Fair on a Thursday night. I didn't even know about this show until the morning of the event. I just happened to hear a radio ad for it. Jerrod Hull won. There may have been 14-15 cars, mostly Farmington regulars and a few Jacksonville cars. Small crowd. This was back when the wooden wall encircled the whole track. As you can imagine, it was interesting, sketchy, scary and entertaining all at the same time.

7/22/04: The All-Star Circuit of Champions had a show at Belle-Clair that ultimately got rained out. They got it hot laps, then they were two cars into qualifications before the skies let loose. The race was never rescheduled.

4/15/16: The WAR series had a show that was the first time ever non-wing sprints were at Belle-Clair. Good field – over 20 cars. Really entertaining feature. Joe B. Miller won. WAR had other shows scheduled at Belle-Clair. 2017 was rained out. I think they did come back in 2018 but not sure if that one ran or was rained out too. I wasn’t there for that one.
OK, thats cool... talk about jet fighters in a HS gym!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd
2/5/23, 12:38 PM   #126
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
C'mon, plenty of us have been there, even tho I live probably 900 miles away..... cool track!
& I have to thank good ole Funkmeister again for recommending it! POWRI midgets, perfect for a tiny track
I got there by an interesting route, too..... after seeing a race at Farmington, MO. the nite before, I was wondering if there was a smaller bridge or ferry across the mighty Mississippi, had crossed on I-70 many times before. So I did some research (Old school MAP!) & talked to my "seat neighbor" at Farmington, & took the St. Genevieve Ferry to Illinois, then North up along the river, where I also got to tour an old French fort from back in the 1800s (1700s?) I was the only car on the ferry, which was a barge pulled by a tugboat, capable of holding 9 cars! Pretty "down home" too.... sign said "Flash your lights" or "Honk horn"? if the Ferry is on the other side. Maybe I can figure out how to post a photo...
This is the fort... 1753! Thanks to Luckybuck97 who sent this to me:http://www.fortdechartres.us/
Last edited by revjimk; 2/5/23 at 12:40 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97
2/5/23, 4:39 PM   #127
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Thunder Hill Raceway, Mayetta KS (8/20/95): Located north of Topeka in East Jesus somewhere. When the track first opened, they hosted the Jayhawk Nationals. The event was rained out twice in the days leading up to the ’95 Knoxville Nationals. The first time, the pits were just chock full of sprint cars. There must have been 60 cars. Then, of course, it rained. Drove back the next day. Rained again. Rescheduled for the Sunday after Knoxville. Came back and saw Kenny Jacobs win.
I went to Thunder Hill a couple times after Knoxville,and they had "Thunder through the Plains" All Stars and NCRA co sanctioned. The first trip there after we found the place they raced,and had a bunch of cars. cant remember who won though Track sort of reminded me of Lincoln Speedway in Pa.

2nd time there I was supposed to meet up with "Car Wash Mike" RIP and Rich Wiseman aka YZman from California. They were supposed to go to Husets with me after Knoxville and backed out because they saw rain in the forecast. They were going to catch a ride to Thunder Hill with a friend from California,and I was going to pick the up there and go to Lincoln Nebraska where they were flying out of the next day.

Husets ran and after the races I was talking to Peter Murphy and other local South Dakota friends when they told e to run and get out of there. I barely got to my van and it poured like I have never seen before. I remember driving on I-90 about 20 mph and couldnt see a thing as it was so much rain and pitch black out too. It finally slowed down and I found a place to crash out for the night before venturing to Thunder Hill.

I get to Thunder Hill,and the sun is shining, but they have cancelled. Oh great what do I do now? Way before my cell phone days,and I gave them my word I'd be there. Transporters and fans came in all afternoon only to find out it had rained out. One of the transporters had a guy with an Aussie accent,so I asked where he was from. Sydney. Did he crew on a car there? Yes he crewed for Bob Jackson. I says,thats Gilbert Kennedy's car,the Sydney Courier Express car. He asks if I know Gilbert,and I said yes,he was over here a few years ago and he went racing with me while he was here. Then the guy says "Ohhh I have heard all about you,you're Andrew arent you"? Yeah thats me. Small world at times...

YZ and Car Wash showed up a bit later,and they rode to Lincoln with me. Good thing they did as the Thunder schedule had changed a bit from what I originally had planned and a date had changed.YZ called a friend of his in California, found the schedule online,and the next Thunder race was now in Wakeeny, Kansas,which was the furthest track I had driven to when living in Maine.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 2/5/23 at 4:46 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, JJMooney, mlamb
2/5/23, 7:34 PM   #128
mlamb

Quote:
Digging into the memory bank again for these…

Capital Speedway, Holts Summit MO (10/22/94): Back in the day Holts Summit was kind of an open wheel hot spot. There are probably some on this board who've been there when it was happening place for sprint cars. By 1994 not so much. It was a NASCAR-sanctioned, dirt stock car track. My only visit to Holts Summit saw just 12 360’s on hand. Most were California cars. By “California cars” I mean “Double X Speedway, California MO cars”. Little Rock’s Rick Logan won. I don’t remember much else. Track closed 20 years ago and is now a housing development, I think.

Could-a-should-a-would-a: I wish I had seen sprint cars at Macomb IL. The track is long gone. 1/5 mile. They had a 360 show there twenty-some years ago. I heard it was nuts. I also saw mention here of McHenry KY. That’s another one I wish I saw. There was talk just a few years ago that it might reopen.
I went Sunday the day after the Knoxville Nationals to Mayetta (Thunder Hill) for the Jayhawk Nationals. I can’t remember what year that would’ve been, but they raced that night.
I thought Mayetta Ks resembled Spoon River or KC (Atomic) a bit.
I was told Thunder Hill (Mayetta) was located on an Indian reservation. All I know is I was met in the parking lot by a guy parking cars while he was on horseback.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney
2/5/23, 8:31 PM   #129
Rapid Rick

Went to the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa back in the late 80's for a Silver Crown show and I think a wing race the next night. It was a half mile and they tore it down soon after. I think maybe won by Larry Rice or Jack Hewitt.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, JJMooney, mlamb, WinglessLovers
2/5/23, 10:40 PM   #130
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
I can't believe that 10 pages in and no one mentioned Manzanita
I got there twice before it closed. I forgot one other Santa Fe first over night trip with my future wife and first WOO race 1981.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen