IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
7/22/13, 1:06 PM   #1
Nut'n but Dirt

This is NOT about money, but about the existence of the 71P/Dave Darland team. Our neighborhood lynch mob is at it again, headed by our neighbor, who called the Mayor’s Action Line in Indianapolis to report our trailer was at our residence. Now mind you, we just pulled it into the driveway at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17, to load up to go to Terre Haute, and the Department of Code Enforcement showed up at 1:05. In talking to the Code Enforcement guy, he acted like I could do something different, like get RV plates and that might solve my problem. However, we got a letter the very next day stating the following violations:
1) An automotive racing team company is not permitted use in a D-3 dwelling district.
2) Automotive repair is not a permitted use in a D-3 dwelling district.
3) The outdoor storage of junk, trash or debris is not permitted in a D-3 dwelling district (plastic containers) – meaning my garbage can.
4) The outdoor storage of inoperable motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts is not permitted in a D-3 dwelling district (tires). At the time, we were just getting tires dismounted and mounted, and apparently, we can’t do that!
5) The parking or storage of commercial vehicles or equipment is not permitted in a D-3 dwelling district (tri-axle trailer).
It goes on to state that if we don’t correct these so-called “violations” we could be issued a citation for each violation, and/or, assessment of administrative fee in the amount of $215 for each scheduled visit to the property, and/or, lawsuit with fines up to $2,500 for each violation plus court costs. We are having a real estate attorney look at all of this, but in the meantime, would like your help out in the racing community so we can continue racing with Dave Darland as our driver. It’s our rights and yours at risk here – where you can’t even do anything at your own home where you pay taxes! Please contact the Mayor’s Office – Greg Ballard – at 317-327-3601, or online at http://www.indy-gov/egov/mayor/getin...ages/contactus, or 2501 City County Building, 200 East Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; or Mayor’s Action Line at 317-327-4622; or Department of Code Enforcement at 317-327-8700, or 1200 Madison Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46225, or Michael Gann, Property Inspector, 317-797-4902, to tell our government how ridiculous this is. Our Case # is VIO13-002797. If we can flood them with paperwork, maybe it will make them take notice that we as citizens have rights! Also, if anyone happens to have a shop on the westside of Indianapolis we can use through the end of this year, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading this, and God bless! Carla and Steve Phillips

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 2:18 PM   #2
Re: 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

We had a problem with our RV in California , Had it parked in the driveway for 9 years with no problems till the neighbor across sold his house , then we were in violation of some code . We moved but the neighbor didn't here the last of us .

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, luckybuc97, PJ Wright, rachasin
7/22/13, 2:52 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

IM sure they're involved in some kinda violations themselves. Make sure they get the same kind of letter.

What ever happened to if you had a problem with something the neighbor is doing, You just go talk it over, Over a beer or BBQ Getting the officials involved in everything is the SISSY WAY.

7/22/13, 3:51 PM   #4
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Wish I lived next door to a sprint car. It would be the best neighbor I've ever had. Would never say anything I didn't want to hear.

7/22/13, 3:55 PM   #5
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

have DD STORE THE EQUIPMENT AND STUFF AT HIS HOUSE MAYBE JUST TRYING TO HELP

7/22/13, 4:00 PM   #6
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

My God, back in the 60's we used to push start the dragster down the street and fire it up, and warm it and leak check it b4 loading it for IRP.
It's not like they are doing that!
Bummer!
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

2 members like this post: jim goerge, speed bump
7/22/13, 4:10 PM   #7
newracefan123

Is #2 stating you can't even change the oil in your own car in the driveway that is attached to the house you own?

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 4:31 PM   #8
Nut'n but Dirt

Correct - the official's interpretation is that we can't do any car maintenance in your own garage or in your driveway!

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 4:53 PM   #9
cleatziff

check your pm

7/22/13, 4:55 PM   #10
team3521

What country do we live in? Russia?
Who came up with these laws?
Maybe the gov't you're dealing with needs a class action lawsuit against their "stupid" laws.
I would move as fast as I could from there! just sayin...That's why I like living in the country with very few neighbors to be in my business.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: racegal
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!