IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II
1/13/15, 12:28 AM   #31
Re: BMARA engine rules are now D-II
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
The chains aren't safe? Seriously? Their are many micros, 600s and lightning sprints running around that are chain driven and ain't no chains hurt anybody. I love midgets and I own and drive a lightning sprint cause I cannot afford a midget. If this idea up there is adopted everywhere I could afford a midget. I think the only problem here is the midget owners hate it when they get beat by the chain driven car, and that can and will happen when these cars are run together, on the 1/4 miles.
Steve we the SSMS have been running both the last 4 years without ANY safety issues at all and a few of those races have been on 4/10 and 1/2 mile tracks.....I WORKS and all e entities Lightning/Focus-Ecotec/(older) 166 midgets (with Harder RR) are competitive racing together

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1/13/15, 12:33 AM   #32
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
And a rr tire size restriction like montpelier does national motor cars are limited to 10" rr where as minisprints and other motors are allowed 13"
Actually, at MMS "National" Midgets have to be 1050lbs and run a 10" RR rim, not tire; "Older" and "Stock Block", no minimum weight, 10" rim; Motorcycle Power (1000cc and up the only restriction) no weight limit, 12" rim. Personally, I like the Montpelier "Less is More" rulebook philosophy and it seems to be working.
As far as a safety risk goes, I've heard of a lot more incidents when a torque tube has gotten loose and wrecked a driver's ankles and legs than I have of chains causing any problems. Proper maintenance and setup and a good chainguard should keep things relatively calm. US Mini/Lightning Sprints aside, look at the New Zealand TQ's; almost all of them run a transverse engine and chain drive these days with no issues that I've seen in video from Western Springs. Notice almost all of them run hairpins, which is a big help in matching suspension geometry with the arc of the chain.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/13/15, 12:38 AM   #33
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Conover View Post
I get that part, but at one point everyone wanted the VW gone too and now some wish we were back to those days. I simply mean I would like to see actual dyno comparisons between different motors, injection restrictors have been mentioned before but hardly could be a one size fits all deal I would think. Again I have no doubt they are doing what they feel is in their best interest and that's great for them.
Kellen

The way I remember VW's was one in the car>>>>> one at the shop>>>>>and one somewhere between home and Auto-Craft. I do miss that chirping noise they used to make.

Lets not get too technical, leave that to the racers, we sure don't want Humpey Wheller to come in and talk us into racing 600 Midgets using his parts only to keep us on the up and up.

Go to IRS (Illini Racing Series) racing and read their rules talk about specific, I have read them three times and probably will need a couple of more times to understand them. They do seem pretty comprehensive. They are also right up by Angel Park and would be ready made racers wanting someplace else to race.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 10:27 AM.

1 member likes this post: Kellen Conover
1/13/15, 1:07 AM   #34
SteveB31

Wayne, I was being sarcastic about the chains not being safe, refering to BKuhn's post below where he says the chain is a "safety concern".

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/13/15, 9:58 AM   #35
Stealth87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
I wish people would quit putting titles on midgets that happen to run 4 valve overhead cam engines. You are doing a disservice to midget racing by doing so. The Badger Midgets are the Badger Midgets regardless of the engine package. If you want to call midgets in Florida D2 or whatever, that is your prerogative, but don't put a title on something that isn't yours to put titles on!! I see guys run Ecotecs and Hondas with POWRi quite often but people don't point at them and say "hey theres a D2 midget running with other midgets." In fact, if I do recall correctly, a 4 valve overhead cam engine has run in the top 5 in POWRi competition as recent as last year and another won with NEMA as recent as last season.
I actually agree with this. Every single time the Illini Midgets were at Angell Park, the fans would go get their concessions/go to the bathroom when they were on the track. Constantly mumbling how they "slow midgets" were on the track. I would always stay and watch because the racing was actually better than the national midgets in most cases. Yes, the speed isnt there, but I am a fan of wheel to wheel racing (part of the huge reason I LOVE Indiana bullrings). I hope they can just call them midgets and not do anything that might deter the speed freaks from coming to watch a show.

3 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, jdull99, tandtinc2424
1/13/15, 10:32 AM   #36
Jim Gardner

If the Illini cars were on the undercard of a national midget event then it does pose a little brother problem. However, if the Illini group is the only midget program on the card then the casual fan won't notice the slower speeds- just the top notch racing.

4 members like this post: DAD, dirtball, gearguy, Task Force
1/13/15, 10:55 AM   #37
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

One thing that differentiates the Illini group (and probably slows them down a bit) is that they run Dwarf Car tires. I'm not a fan of that particular rule.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: 7xCoop, lmahal
1/13/15, 11:44 AM   #38
Jim Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
One thing that differentiates the Illini group (and probably slows them down a bit) is that they run Dwarf Car tires. I'm not a fan of that particular rule.
That's the only way they can make running pavement affordable. So

2 members like this post: DAD, Task Force
1/13/15, 11:47 AM   #39
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Jim Jones

It was once said that the goal of winning any race was to win it at the slowest possible speed. If everybody is racing on them skinny tires the racing is going to be as good or better than racing on tires that allow more horsepower to be delivered to the race track.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 2:27 PM.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
1/13/15, 12:19 PM   #40
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
That's the only way they can make running pavement affordable. So
Jim Gardner

First thing off the bat>>>> Happy Birthday kiddo.

I questioned their choice in restrictor sizing and method for determining the proper size of restrictor but then I looked at the tracks that they race on and most of them are just big old Dynamometers anyhow. I guess in 20+ years of racing they should know what works for them.

With this engine rule package and tire requirements, a guy could race with them all year long with a National Midget motor and then if he wished could remove the restrictors and tires and race with the National Bunch, when they came to town.

On the other hand a guy could take an Echotec powered car and install a modified head package and race it with the National bunch also if they would allow a stock block 2.4 liter x 4 valve engine to compete.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 3:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: Racer_dude35
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II