IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ambulances at Race Tracks
4/10/19, 7:47 PM   #51
Re: Ambulances at Race Tracks
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
The point I am trying to make here is this. YES, there are for sure some deficient rescue/emergency response operations at some race tracks. But you can't simply base all of your conclusions on whether or not there is a transport unit on site. Things like distance from track of a unit, what staff and equipment is actually at the track, what types of situations are they capable of handling and many other factors should come into play in that evaluation.
You are correct, there are tracks with deficient emergency response teams. Far too many tacks in my opinion. One deficient track is one too many. You need an ALS ambulance on site at every race. I could care less if their station is right across the street from the main entrance to the track or if its 40 miles away. You need one at the track sitting in a position to react instantly to a medical issue. Seconds matter. What the person in the ambulance can do matters. EMTs are not good enough. You have to have a Paramedic at the event. An ALS ambulance provides at least one Paramedic and an EMT or driver plus all the right equipment. A BLS ambulance is just two EMTs.

Here are some differences between an EMT and a Paramedic according to UCLA. (https://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/node/27):

"EMTs usually complete a course such as UCLA's EMT course that is about 120-150 hours in length. Paramedic courses can be between 1,200 to 1,800 hours. EMT and paramedic courses consist of lectures, hands-on skills training, and clinical and/or field internships. EMTs are educated in many skills including CPR, giving patients oxygen, administering glucose for diabetics, and helping others with treatments for asthma attacks or allergic reactions. With very few exceptions, such as in the case of auto-injectors for allergic reactions, EMTs are not allowed to provide treatments that requiring breaking the skin: that means no needles.

Paramedics are advanced providers of emergency medical care and are highly educated in topics such as anatomy and physiology, cardiology, medications, and medical procedures. They build on their EMT education and learn more skills such as administering medications, starting intravenous lines, providing advanced airway management for patients, and learning to resuscitate and support patients with significant problems such as heart attacks and traumas. Paramedic education programs (such as UCLA's Paramedic Program) may last six to twelve months."

If you don't have someone that can start an IV or cut an airway into someone it is simply not good enough. People need to educate themselves on the differences and start holding promoters responsible. A friend of mine told me to ask two questions of track medical personnel before you race there. "Are you licensed to and can you start an airway?" and "Are you licensed to and can you sustain life?" You need a yes to both questions.

If anyone wants something to watch regarding safety in motorsports check out "Yellow Yellow Yellow: The Indycar Safety Team (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7278738/). This will tell you exactly how important having properly trained personnel at the race track is. Just ask James Hinchcliffe.........and before someone says "we're not racing Indycars that go 200mph" ask yourself how many drivers we have lost over the last few years in our segment of the sport alone. If I'm a promoter, I want to give an injured driver every possible chance. Every promoter should feel the same way.
Last edited by Ray3; 4/10/19 at 8:02 PM.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, jim goerge, Kansasdirtfan
4/10/19, 7:56 PM   #52
egh170

To Clarify my original post. Grundy is now staffed at all race events with Morris Fire Dept ALS ambulance. They can and will leave the premises of necessary and Morris will supply a second ambulance if needed, of course at a cost.

4/10/19, 10:16 PM   #53
Spi-nex

I've worked for tracks that take it upon themselves to voluntarily have an ambulance on premises and tracks that have not.

Pressuring the tracks is the wrong avenue. As long as insurance companies have in their policies that an ambulance is NOT required with only a paramedic and EMT available, don't be shocked that some promoters cheap out and be thankful for the ones that step up on their own accord. Everyone has their own idea of acceptable risk. Let them make their choice on that risk and leave it to them to deal with the consequences.

Get the insurance companies to change their policies and you make the tracks update their safety standards. Trying to "shame" tracks one at a time will result in nothing other than sabre rattling. After all, a hefty chunk of the tickets you buy go to pay for those safety crews & equipment.

4/11/19, 2:21 AM   #54
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar5 View Post
A few years ago I was running at Montpelier and out of no where the red flag came out it was a few minutes later we found out there was an injury in the stands and the ambulance had to leave they didn't resume the race until the ambulance returned
Being around Limaland, Waynesfield, Eldora and Montpelier I was surprised other tracks didn't do the same thing when the Ambulance had to do something else. Like the ones I stated do.

I remember quite few years ago they actually had to call the Ambulance out of Limaland because a bad accident on 309 or 81 don't remember which and they needed more ambulances so they took the Limaland ambulance and they halted all racing until they got another ambulance.

Crap for the All-Star show at Waynesfield a kid fell from the bleachers when they was pushing cars out on the track for the A. The flag man threw the red which I was surprised because it was only 4 wheelers pushing cars at walking pace around the track to get all the cars on track. Ambulance ended up coming behind the bleachers to treat the kid then took the kid down the road to the park for Life Flight/Care Flight to helicopter the kid out and nothing happened on track until that ambulance got back. Not trying to bad mouth Waynesfield because a kid fell, only 2-3 tracks I've been to a kid couldn't fall out of the bleachers due to openings, but applauding them for not doing anything until the ambulance came back they even stopped the 4 wheelers pushing cars out. Also bars were put up on the bleachers where it couldn't happen again.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 4/11/19 at 2:24 AM.

4/11/19, 8:57 AM   #55
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
I've worked for tracks that take it upon themselves to voluntarily have an ambulance on premises and tracks that have not.

Pressuring the tracks is the wrong avenue. As long as insurance companies have in their policies that an ambulance is NOT required with only a paramedic and EMT available, don't be shocked that some promoters cheap out and be thankful for the ones that step up on their own accord. Everyone has their own idea of acceptable risk. Let them make their choice on that risk and leave it to them to deal with the consequences.

Get the insurance companies to change their policies and you make the tracks update their safety standards. Trying to "shame" tracks one at a time will result in nothing other than sabre rattling. After all, a hefty chunk of the tickets you buy go to pay for those safety crews & equipment.
Keep in mind the racers pay $30-40 for a pit pass to go for the expense of the insurance and ambulances as well. When we pay that kind of money just to be there we should be allowed to expect an ambulance. The cost for an ALS ambulance per night is only $500-$700. To put that in perspective 17-24 pit passes sold at $30 pays for an ambulance. If a promoter can't afford that then they shouldn't be in business.
Last edited by Ray3; 4/11/19 at 9:08 AM.

4 members like this post: fourteen fan, jdull99, kcarm92, luckybuc97
4/15/19, 11:08 PM   #56
egh170

A correction in ambulance services at Grundy County. Morris F.D. no longer provides the service. I believe it has to do with a Taxpayer Fire Department being used for services to a private company. Grundy has on property a private ambulance service that is ALS staffed with certified EMTS. It is costly but that is what is needed for everyones' protection. Morris Fire Department still responds to emergency calls at the track.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ambulances at Race Tracks