IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts
2/15/24, 5:27 PM   #11
Re: Questions For The Experts
Nut'n but Dirt

Rogers was not at fault. He went over into the fluff and was trying to gather up the car when Bacon came in there and hit him. Bacon has just had back luck to start the year. It happens to everyone at one time or another.

2/17/24, 5:32 PM   #12
SoINRaceFan

On Friday night at Ocala, when the tires started to go down in the A main, how exactly did Grant get to come back out on the track during the next caution? It appeared that there was a lap scored and when he did come back for the next 3 laps he was scored a lap down.

Then, when Westfall's tire went down in between 3 & 4, they let the race finish, even though Westfall was definitely off the pace from the rest of the field.

It just seems like the rules don't play out the same for everyone. I was at the track and I never heard any explanation over the public address system. I didn't know if it was explained on Flo or if anyone here can lend me some wisdom.

2/17/24, 6:47 PM   #13
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoINRaceFan View Post
On Friday night at Ocala, when the tires started to go down in the A main, how exactly did Grant get to come back out on the track during the next caution? It appeared that there was a lap scored and when he did come back for the next 3 laps he was scored a lap down.

Then, when Westfall's tire went down in between 3 & 4, they let the race finish, even though Westfall was definitely off the pace from the rest of the field.

It just seems like the rules don't play out the same for everyone. I was at the track and I never heard any explanation over the public address system. I didn't know if it was explained on Flo or if anyone here can lend me some wisdom.
Grant stopped on the track to bring out the yellow when he had a flat tire. Westfall pulled off the track when he had his flat tire. Therein lies the difference.

Under USAC rules, during a yellow flag, cars are allowed to rejoin the race if they were in the pits.

Grant had his flat tire with five laps to go. However, there is no guaranteed time given for the Work Area during the last five laps of a feature, so he didn’t make it back out in time for the green.

When the race went back to green, one lap was completed before Daison Pursley had a flat tire which brought out the yellow. During the yellow, Grant rejoined the race at the tail of the field with a new right rear and finished the race one lap behind the leader.

2/17/24, 7:37 PM   #14
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheHammer View Post
Not sure what angle you were watching. But, Rogers wasn't racing anyone for position at the time Bacon got into him. All Rogers fault.
Hmmm...interesting post...I've never seen a race car driver that wasn't battling for position...last I thought, every race car driver was out there to win especially in the Amain, Feature, Main Event...just bc 12th place wasn't on Rogers front bumper or 14th place wasn't on Rogers rear bumper, he wasn't battling for position? Interesting, you may have just educated me.

Furthermore I will eat my words, I feel I'm wrong, I dont feel it was anyone's fault, much less Brady's. It does appear Rogers bobbles it, tries to regain, Brady is in between him and KT in a sandwich situation...unfortunate to all, appears just to be a racing situation and bad luck for all involved.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, MBoersma
2/17/24, 7:43 PM   #15
DirtTrackTherapy16J

So new question for the experts especially since the tire situation was brought up.

First 2 nights of Ocala didnt appear to be too many tire situations. The 2 races at Volusia didn't appear to be too many tire situations. The first of 3 nights at Ocala again, (yeah tonight rained out), didn't appear to be too many tire situations. Last night all h*** broke loose on tire situations. Grant, Bacon, Westfall, Pursley, any others. I'm talking these guys aren't inexperienced or slouches. 2 are the past champions for the last 4 years straight.

So...was the track simply that much different and that bad on tires on Friday night at Ocala? Or did they run into a bad batch of tires? Or just everyone running that much harder or what? If it's the track surface, what does this to cause the tire issues?
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 2/17/24 at 7:46 PM.

2/17/24, 8:59 PM   #16
SoINRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Grant stopped on the track to bring out the yellow when he had a flat tire. Westfall pulled off the track when he had his flat tire. Therein lies the difference.

Under USAC rules, during a yellow flag, cars are allowed to rejoin the race if they were in the pits.
Any other time a car is off the pace from the rest of the field the yellow comes out.

2/17/24, 9:46 PM   #17
richie

Quote:
Any other time a car is off the pace from the rest of the field the yellow comes out.
Not always. Westfall's car was off the pace but out of harm’s way and pulled off the track. If he had the full field bearing down on him, the yellow would’ve been thrown. It’s always at the discretion of the chief steward to make that call.

Quite often you’ll see cars off the pace who pull into the infield or exit the track. A yellow isn’t thrown every single time they slow down.
Last edited by richie; 2/17/24 at 9:48 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider
2/17/24, 10:48 PM   #18
SoINRaceFan

Thank you for the input. You have cleared some things up for me. Guess I'll just have to pay better attention when I'm at the track from here on out.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
2/18/24, 2:01 AM   #19
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Thank you for the input. You have cleared some things up for me. Guess I'll just have to pay better attention when I'm at the track from here on out.
Please do that. Question things often.

2/19/24, 11:41 AM   #20
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
So new question for the experts especially since the tire situation was brought up.

First 2 nights of Ocala didnt appear to be too many tire situations. The 2 races at Volusia didn't appear to be too many tire situations. The first of 3 nights at Ocala again, (yeah tonight rained out), didn't appear to be too many tire situations. Last night all h*** broke loose on tire situations. Grant, Bacon, Westfall, Pursley, any others. I'm talking these guys aren't inexperienced or slouches. 2 are the past champions for the last 4 years straight.

So...was the track simply that much different and that bad on tires on Friday night at Ocala? Or did they run into a bad batch of tires? Or just everyone running that much harder or what? If it's the track surface, what does this to cause the tire issues?
Ocala (and for that matter, Volusia too) has dirt that is more sandy than a typical Midwestern track. IMO, Ocala/BRP has a much smaller "window" where it is tacky and not dry or slimy. It also seems to get VERY abrasive when it dries out. Volusia dried out both nights USAC was there as well, but Vousia doesn't seem to get as abrasive as does Ocala.

I have seen USAC there where some teams burn through (2) RR's in a 30 lap feature. I'm not defending the track crew, but there was weather relatively close by, and the wind was higher all evening than predicted, so they had conditions working against them all evening.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts