IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where do you guys buy your torsion bars?
12/22/14, 2:38 AM   #1
Where do you guys buy your torsion bars?
zerospeed

I'm putting my first dirt car together...I have a mess of bars with it, but I don't know if they are truly good. I also don't know the direction they were twisted in, and my research tells me that's critical (input on that?). I found a solid source for used bars for about $15 checked and guaranteed. I'm not running USAC or anything, it's my first dirt experience...so I'm guessing that's good enough for me. I've always been a front runner on the local level, so I'd still like to have decent stuff under me.

Any input on buying used bars that get checked, and also the critical nature of the direction the bar was twisted? I have no idea which way these bars were twisted that I have on hand.

12/22/14, 7:25 AM   #2
sprintracer82

Chalk stix is all I will run. They are one of the best on the market. Tom Chalk is one of the nicest guys in the industry.

12/22/14, 9:13 AM   #3
badcoupe

You can take them to csi and have them dynoed if they are bad they will deduct the price of dynoing off of new one. All the new bars they sell get dynoed and serialized that way they can compare numbers in the future should you think it's going soft

1 member likes this post: Mattmac05
12/22/14, 12:36 PM   #4
grumpy racer

An old time racer once told me and I quote if your worried about used bars take them down to the pond and throw them in the good ones will swim back. I will only run schoeder or mpd (made by schoeder) in car jmo.

4 members like this post: babcock14d, bigq11, darnall, Wayne Davis
12/22/14, 10:17 PM   #5
treecitytornado

Schroeder Gun-drilled bars work great and are 100% straight and true everytime from Gary and Karen! I have got new bars that were bent and had to be straightened from another competitor. Great people with a ton of experience too!

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/22/14, 11:40 PM   #6
Agentry10

Chalk torsion bars are the only bar i run they work great and last

12/23/14, 2:13 AM   #7
Re: Where do you guys buy your torsion bars?
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

If you're running new bars, Chalk Stix and Schroeder are the two sources I use. I actually prefer Chalk Stix, but they don't make midget bars, only micro midget and sprint.

In regards to your question, the direction the bar is twisted is critical to know, and it's not a good plan to twist them the opposite direction. Used bars are almost impossible to sell, so the $15 price sounds about right. Unless they know for sure which corner of the car they were in, I wouldn't even spend that much on a used bar. If your source can't say for sure which corner of the car they were in, you might want to mention on here, or in Classifieds, what size bar you are looking for, and you could probably get some decent used bars at a similar price.

You can get by on used bars for a while when you are starting out, but you might not get consistent results until you spring for new steel.

Bill

12/23/14, 10:01 AM   #8
Josh Spencer

Myself and MANY other teams run Chalks bars. Give him a call and talk to him 765-452-9202.

The last time I was there he was telling me how he was beginning to make midget bars.

Josh Spencer

12/23/14, 10:03 AM   #9
Re: Where do you guys buy your torsion bars?
cowboyhar69

Tom Chalk is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

12/23/14, 4:35 PM   #10
treecitytornado

Schroeder Bars are the best reacting, most consistent out there! Call 818-565-1133! Great people to work with that have made Sprint and Midget Bars for years!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where do you guys buy your torsion bars?