IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
aka Liz (Offline)
  #31 7/22/15 9:34 PM
I don't often post here, but feel compelled to add to this thread. Dave Darland has been a family favorite for years; so much so that my grandson's middle name is "David" and it is most definitely in honor of Mr. Darland.

Dave's a role model both for his people and racing skills, a fine example for any driver in any racing series.

It has been and continues to be an honor and pleasure to be a Dave Darland fan, here's to more years of winning!
8 Likes: Charles Nungester, davidm, fish, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, mc/rider, racegal, ronmil
Longtime sprinter (Offline)
  #32 7/22/15 9:53 PM
I think to say ANY driver is the best in their class, has to be qualified by saying in his time period. It's ludicrous to compare drivers of today's sprints, with those of ten years ago, or more. Sure, Opperman was great, so was A.J., and many more, But how would they compare if they were in a modern car? You just can't compare, it's apples to oranges. We all have our favorites, for whatever reason, but you're not very sprint car savvy if you can' t say that Dave Darland is one of the best sprint car drivers of this era. JMTC.
8 Likes: aka Liz, davidm, JackSam40, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, racefan20, racegal, ronmil
snow white 33 (Offline)
  #33 7/22/15 10:11 PM
My Dad Frank Faurote and I owned the first Champ Dirt car Dave drove. Dave mentions his tenure with us in his book and could very well have called it the biggest S*** box he ever drove but in true Dave Darland fashion, called it a great intro into the mile tracks and the big cars. We hated to see him go but were tickled to see him get the ride in the Foxco car. Dad bought the last non down tube car that Dave and Bob owned and we went on to race it as the Snow White Services 33 with Derek Davidson, Ray Kenens, and a guy named Kurt "the rooster" Hawkins. Kind of ironic that I am talking about this post as it was exactly 20 years ago this past Sprint Week that we got the sprint car on the track with Derek and exactly 8 years ago on the 23rd that my Dad passed away. I still have that car tucked away in the corner of Dads old shop. It is no wonder that Dave is the true what you see is what you get kind of guy if you ever met his dad Bob. Although I don't get to the track anymore, Dave still finds time to talk or text with me from time to time. Enough of my rambling on. Great thread!
14 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, davidm, DirtHawk92, fish, JarrettFarms73, jim goerge, jjones752, K9Racer, Longtime sprinter, racegal, ronmil, Steve Wendel, wallbanger II
snow white 33 (Offline)
  #34 7/22/15 10:37 PM
Holy Crap! I just noticed what # my last post was on this thread. I think I will buy a lottery ticket, can't hurt!
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, fish, jim goerge, racegal
streetglider (Offline)
  #35 7/22/15 10:53 PM
I can only say "thanks" for buying that car & giving those guys a ride! I fondly remember Kennens & Hawkins in that car. The Rooster was a blast to watch & was always balls to the wall !!! He came from humble beginnings & had a passion for sprint cars until an injury put him on the sidelines . Good Racer & a Great Dude !!! Thanks for giving him a shot
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, fish, jim goerge, racegal, ronmil
snow white 33 (Offline)
  #36 7/22/15 11:06 PM
I can honestly say that there was never any bad blood with any driver we ever had and can still count them as friends to this day. All of them have made lots of good memories for our family. BUT, the "Rooster" has his own set of memories I have to say!
2 Likes: racegal, ronmil
ModernDayDrifter (Offline)
  #37 7/23/15 12:01 AM
I first met Dave Darland somewhere in the early 2000's at Memphis Motorsports Park USAC show on the quarter mile dirt track. After talking to him about my gokart racing he wished me luck and told me he would like to watch me sometime. Obviously that never happened, that I know of, but I never forgot that. Fast forward to my first sprint week a few years ago, I met Darland again at Haubstadt. This time through a mutual friend of ours. When she introduced us, she said to Dave "He thinks you are a rockstar." to which Dave replied.. "Nahh, im just an old racecar driver." He was modest, humble, and is the perfect example of "The Peoples Champ". No need to whine about track conditions, or tire bleeders, or anything else. He just drives, and kicks ass doing it. I have been a fan since growing up in my early years watching Thursday Night Thunder on ESPN.
3 Likes: jim goerge, racegal, ronmil
Beinthecircle (Offline)
  #38 7/23/15 1:06 PM
What sparked you to start this post, Chris? Very curious.
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #39 7/23/15 8:20 PM
Being a fan of his since I was little. It hurt me to see what was posted about him the other day. I wanted to spark up a positive post and have everyone else post some of their awesome memories and stories of the people's champ.

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
2 Likes: Nut'n but Dirt, racegal
racegal (Offline)
  #40 8/5/15 1:05 PM
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn:
And my thread got ruined. Awesome.
No it didn't!It's great!

DD FAN-atic!! Susan St. Catherine
God bless America and our troops