IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
7/12/11, 6:22 PM   #181
Re: Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
modlady

if they watered the track in between heats then peole would complain that then spent to much time watering the track. in some peoples eyes poor dave cant seem to do anything right and I think he does everything right and we need to be thankful that we have a nice track with a very nice enviroment and nice bathroom with doors on them and very friendly people then we shouldnt complain right or wrong?

1 member likes this post: mowerman
7/12/11, 8:02 PM   #182
Koonzee

The closer you get to Kentucky the more people seem to get excited over fancy indoor plumbing. J/K
Last edited by Koonzee; 7/12/11 at 10:36 PM.

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
7/12/11, 10:44 PM   #183
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

First off, let me say thanks to all the drivers, crewmembers, owners and fans,employees, USAC and even the racefans who were not there for being a part of our Sprintweek.
Its was a crazy long hot day and even with the heat the campers were pulling in all day and i got to make a brief visit to some.
As the afternoon went on, we was watering like crazy in the beating down sun, the track was soaked and i was praying for some clouds as we rolled the track in at 5pm. All along i was wishing we was on central time like Haubstat is, and wishing we could add a additive to the track that helps hold moisture, but we can't because the city gets thier water below our surface.
Much to my surprise the track held up well for hot laps and single car qualifying for what seemed like hours. The heat races were great racing and you could see the track at that point getting dryer and dryer on the surface. I was asked by USAC if i was going to do any track rework and when i was going to do it. I decided at that point we would water some on the top of the track after modified heats. With it being a sunday evening show i wanted to do what i thought was best and just water and have the program going along again in 15 minutes. I knew in my mind if i ran the Lely Rottera around and opened the track up and watered it would of been about a 30 to 40 minute rework and the fans would of really been mad about that and it being a sunday and all.
I could write a book here but in the end, as i reflect back, i made the wrong decision and i knew that without my thousands of supervisors telling me i made the wrong decision.
I apologize to everyone for ruining your raceday. I have heard from many that thought the show was great and enjoyed thier visit to Lawrenceburg Speedway and i really appreciate that!!
I can tell you that i have learned a lesson and will learn more and more each race. As my Late best friend Mel Johnson always told me, "just when you think you got it right, mother nature will smack you in the ass!!"
So the bottomline here is.....Thanks for your support of Lawrenceburg Speedway and i hope that the next time you come to see a race here its everything you want it to be and more. Thats my goal each and every race night!!

Sincerely, Dave Rudisell

P.S. As i was working the track yesterday i found a broken hose clamp halfway buried in the clay sticking up with a sharp edge exposed. It was on the backstretch about 3 feet off the wall. I believe that may have been the tire culprit.

7/12/11, 11:01 PM   #184
tim kelley

near 1-- degree day

Thanks Dave for all of your hard work. Please thank everyone involved in helping. Tim Kelley

7/13/11, 2:22 AM   #185
TheLip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
If you saw these rocks hitting the grandstand why didn’t you tell Dave or Kim? They definately need to know these things. Even if they are not available I would have told anyone, Sandy, other track personnel, even Randy. I’m sure any one of them would have alerted Dave and he would have definitely took action. It would be better for him to find out on the evening it happened rather than two months later on a message board.
The reason I kept them was to show them to Dave. Due to a combination of factors which included my now working on Saturdays from 11a to 9p. I have only made it to that one show in May plus Midget week and Sprint week. On multiple occasions I tried to PM him on this website and was unable to do so because his personal message space was full. Secondly, the grandstands were full of rocks that night, as was the midway, albeit they weren't as large as the ones that I kept as examples. I assume that he or other track personnel would have had to have known that the dirt on the track had a significant amount of rock in it. If you didn't see them when you worked the track or were on it you certainly would have a clue when you went to clean up. Since I made the above assumptions, my tracking Dave down physically on a subsequent visit to present him with big ass sharp rocks would have just came off as ******** and complaining.

I don't need to be admonished for pointing out and reporting a fact. I love the track. I constantly bring new people to the track. When I go to other tracks I "sell" people that haven't been here (The Burg) on coming here and promote races here to other fans. I have posted on Robert Ballou's facebook page that I support the drivers who support The Burg as much as he has.

So, am I entitled to an opinion? I had a great time at the races the other night, but the track should have been better. It has been better in the past consistently more so than this year. It is not isolated. Racers have said so, fans have said so.

1 member likes this post: DWX 9929
7/13/11, 2:36 AM   #186
TheLip2

IMG_0722_crop.jpg

There they are.

7/13/11, 6:53 AM   #187
DWX 9929

Is the racing surface dirt from the old track? How thick is the top layer? I was told the fill underneath was brought from a large road cut excavation in Hooven,Oh. Lots of blue shale rock. Is it possible that some rocks could migrate to the surface?
On the other hand I've been to very few tracks that did not have some small amount of rocks- just not that large in size.

Not trying to bash- just my observation.

7/13/11, 7:48 AM   #188
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWX 9929 View Post
Is the racing surface dirt from the old track? How thick is the top layer? I was told the fill underneath was brought from a large road cut excavation in Hooven,Oh. Lots of blue shale rock. Is it possible that some rocks could migrate to the surface?
On the other hand I've been to very few tracks that did not have some small amount of rocks- just not that large in size.

Not trying to bash- just my observation.
The fill came from behind Wall Mart in Aurora and it had a lot of rock and shale in it. The Clay was scouted by Mel and Dave and brought out of E-town.

Anytime there is a significant storm, it can *FLOAT* larger stones to the surface.

BTW, Thanks Dave for Manning up. Like I said, I had a good time. Have had a good time on the about 90 percent of shows you've held. It was just a little too dusty IMHO and thanks for working it to make the features visable.

1 member likes this post: DWX 9929
7/13/11, 8:50 PM   #189
DWX 9929

I stand corrected on the fill- wasn't positive on source. Exact same type of rock though. If you look at loose rocks at the bottom of one of these cuts they look just like the earlier photo.

As far as the racing dirt, it isn't as dark as some other tracks. Most "sticky" tracks seem to be blacker (and I don't mean rubber). One even looks like pieces of straw in it. Maybe the next time they add dirt they should dredge the Ohio. Wait- that may cause some EPA problems! lol

7/14/11, 4:44 AM   #190
lazyifoto

Maybe they could put up one of the cloth netting deals like at the driving range to keep rocks out of the stands...or everyone that is real concerned about it can wear a helmet to the track. Most of us from ky. don't worry about getting hit in the head we just don't want the rock to hit our mouth and break our tooth out: )

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates