IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not on Wednesday nights
9/13/22, 11:46 PM   #11
Re: Why not on Wednesday nights
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
I can only remember two pavement tracks that ran season long mid-week schedules: Raceway Park in Blue Island, IL. Track now closed. Wisconsin International Raceway still runs a regular Thursday night schedule. Check out their website if you want to see their schedule.

Dale, I think you answered your own question. What teams, fans and families are gonna sit through a 4 hour show on a Wed? Throw in track delays, rain delays and any other delay. And go to work the next morning? Mid-week shows are fine for occasional special events. Look at Kokomo. How many Sunday nights to do they run now? Think we've got enough occasional mid-week shows to enjoy over the summer.
Another paved track, and not in IN, but State Park Speedway in Wausau, WI; has been on Thursdays as long as I have known (not sure how long tho).

http://stateparkspeedway.com/news/ (Owned by former NASCAR driver Scott Wimmer, of recent)

Have heard stories that either here, or WIR, the local plant paid their employees on Thursdays, so it was a good night to have the races (as most of the people in the area had just got paid).

Two more pavement tracks not in IN: LaCrosse (West Salem, WI) used to run on Wednesdays. Rockford Speedway (Loves Park, IL); used to have a Wednesday night program (in addition to Saturdays). Those have gone away.

But it would be cool if someone picked that up for a weekly track in IN. Ideally some guys could try to live the racer life and race 2-3 nights a week and supplement their income with their take home of few hundred dollars thru the season.

But what about a track that is in IN? Paved, but didn't the Speedrome really run weekly on Thursdays (or Wednesdays)?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 9/13/22 at 11:50 PM.

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, tirespinner
9/14/22, 11:30 AM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

If you want this to work. Make it a KIng of Indiana thing. Ten tracks, Ten Weds Each track puts in 2000 towards the top five. Ticket price 25 dollars. Each race is 3000-300 and championship 9000-5000-3000-2000-1000 Two Grand up front, Your race rained out. No makeup, no refund

Sprints and one support Practice/Qualifying 7:00 racing 7:30 Feature 9:00 ish

Burg,
Kokomo
LPS
Tri State
Paragon
Circle City
Gas City.
Brownstown
Bloomington
THAT.

NVM never happen. Carry on.

9/14/22, 5:42 PM   #13
dirtybob29

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 22

I would take a vacation to see that .

9/14/22, 6:25 PM   #14
The bubs

I like Mr nungester’s king of Indiana idea. I think it could go over big. Very interesting idea.

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
9/14/22, 6:51 PM   #15
Lincoln Chapple

I don’t think Indiana has the fan base you think anymore…. I would say PA, OH, and OK would draw mid-week crowds….and also a few other hot spots that are desperate for entertainment.

4 members like this post: PIT CART, rick42, tirespinner, TQ29m
9/15/22, 9:32 AM   #16
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The bubs View Post
I like Mr nungester’s king of Indiana idea. I think it could go over big. Very interesting idea.
Didn't we already do this?

2006 King Of Indiana Sprint Series Winners
Gas City I-69Speedway Friday, May 12 Rain Out
Bloomington Speedway Friday, May 19 -- Stanbrough
Lincoln Park Speedway Saturday, May 20 -- Stanbrough
Lawrenceburg Speedway Saturday, May 27 Anderson
Kokomo Speedway Sunday, June 18 Rain Out
Paragon Speedway Saturday, June 24 -- Briscoe
Terre Haute Action Track Saturday, July 1 -- Stanbrough

4 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, PIT CART, reeserx
9/15/22, 11:14 AM   #17
JakeCroxton

Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa still runs on Wednesday nights. They're the only track that I can think of that runs a weekly show on Wednesday nights. I think they're moderately successful for an IMCA show (don't count the Front Row Challenge, that's not the weekly folk's deal).

I grew up at Knoxville, IL on Wednesday nights in the 90s. They now run one race during the county fair each year and have for a couple decades.

A special event here and there that you can advertise and anticipate is something totally different. Wednesdays are tough for weekly racing. You have to start later and on time to allow people to get there from work - and you have to end early to allow people to get home so they can go to work tomorrow. You have to be willing to cater to the diehards - and you have to have enough diehards to get you enough money left over when it's done to make it worth it. It seems like that's never the case.

3 members like this post: erich45, OnTheHammer, TNRustler
9/15/22, 2:11 PM   #18
diversified

The Indianapolis Speedrome ran Midgets (and later, Kenyon Midgets and Focus Midgets) on Wednesdays and Thursdays under sanction from NAMARS, USAC, USSA, etc.

I live 3 hours north of the Speedrome, took Wednesday afternoons off in the mid 2000's, headed to the Speedrome, raced, and were usually done with the features by 9 to 9:30 pm, home by midnight or 1 am.

That track was a ball with the open wheel cars...phenomenal racing-great place to learn how to pass on the outside and master throttle control

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, mc/rider, PIT CART, racefan20
9/15/22, 10:19 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Didn't we already do this?

2006 King Of Indiana Sprint Series Winners
Gas City I-69Speedway Friday, May 12 Rain Out
Bloomington Speedway Friday, May 19 -- Stanbrough
Lincoln Park Speedway Saturday, May 20 -- Stanbrough
Lawrenceburg Speedway Saturday, May 27 Anderson
Kokomo Speedway Sunday, June 18 Rain Out
Paragon Speedway Saturday, June 24 -- Briscoe
Terre Haute Action Track Saturday, July 1 -- Stanbrough
We did, But these were generally all on Tracks normal nights as you can see and only half dozen or so did em all. Wed's Idea is is OWN NIGHT KISS Tried not to race against their own tracks but a couple never honored it and I can't blame em. Three tracks would have to shut down four times.

2 members like this post: oldfan49, TNRustler
9/18/22, 9:29 PM   #20
oldfan49

I have always heard the "people have to work the next day" forever. But I see ballfields, soccer fields, drive inns, bars, and ...... open weeknights until 1- 12 or later weeknights all summer long.

And on the other hand so many people have other commitments on weekends but may have some weeknights free. I agree it would have to be a short quick moving show possibly mixed with good marketing and maybe some creative incentives for the attention of fans.

I'm not a promoter so maybe I am just dreaming out in left field but just some thoughts

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not on Wednesday nights