IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ASPHALT24 (Offline)
  #1 4/4/11 7:10 PM
It would sure be nice if Winchester Speedway could step up to the plate and conduct an event similar to the Bristol Speed Trials. I believe most fans know what track is faster, it would settle an age-old debate. Seeing as Bentley Warren was running 13 second laps @ Winchester over 20 years on a rough surface, I feel the same cars that tested at Bristol would post eye-popping speeds at Winchester. They mentioned the NASCAR record at Bristol is 14.9 for Ryan Newman. I would almost bet Sprint Cup Cars could run very low 14's @ Winchester. I am trying to find some people that may have attended a Sprint Cup test At Winchester several years back, I think Jeff Gordon came up and tested. How fast were they during that test? It would be interesting to know. I am going to throw this out to you guys and gals to see what you think......
8 Likes: 64chevy, D.O., davidm, dirtnonwingfan, IndyBound, nathans1012, racinrandy221, Static
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #2 4/4/11 8:36 PM
I believe that Winchester Speedway is closer to a true 1/2 mile than Bristol is. Bristol is listed as a .533 mile. If that is true, than Winchester should have faster times than Bristol.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
short track scott (Offline)
  #3 4/4/11 9:44 PM
Bristol is new and smooth. That is a lot of the secret ingredient. Jeff Bloom tested at Bristol in 2003 and said it was so bumpy he couldn't focus after a couple of laps. Blonde said Bristol is now super smooth (he was there in '03 too).

The extra 174' at Bristol was covered in roughly .82 seconds.

I don't have the exact number in front of me but I believe Dodson went 13.585 at the first King of the Wings.

It will be exciting to see qualifying May 15 for this years' KotW.

The supers would have the same trouble hooking up at Winchester as the sprints do. Bentley was scary fast back years ago but remember the track has been reworked about twice since then.

I'd still like to see a Speed Trials format where a car must conform to the rules of its competition sanctioning body, and then also allow an absolute no restriction class. It would get peoples' minds working for sure!

By the way, the whole Bristol idea came up in a matter of weeks before the event. The track tried to get an Indy car to hot lap some after the NNS race but no teams wanted to donate. Can't imagine they have a chassis ready for a half mile concrete track ready to go, let alone a week before the season opener at St Pete. The supers were raised up almost 3" to stay off the track, can't imagine an Indy car could build downforce at that height.

Posted via Mobile Device
donwilshe (Offline)
  #4 4/4/11 11:24 PM
2010 Must See Mike Ling 13.68 Qual time..
lilrim (Offline)
  #5 4/5/11 8:48 PM
Hines ran a 13.9 in 2009 @ USAC sprint race @ winchester. First ever non wing sprint car to break the 13 second bracket. Dave steele had the record at a 14.01!
bluegrassprintfan (Offline)
  #6 4/7/11 7:51 PM
i don't think the cup cars would be that quick. i went to the ARCA show in 2005 and they only ran 16.5's. i just don't see the cup cars being any faster. the CRA late models put on a great show up there. they run low 15's but i believe they are quite a bit lighter than the ARCA and sprint cup cars.