IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown updates
9/26/16, 6:13 AM   #61
Re: 4 crown updates
miledirt

I just hate what happened for all the new fans that were there... it's not a good way to build dirt track racing in general.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, duel, ronmil
9/26/16, 8:54 AM   #62
mikew

I brought 3 new people to the track with me, along with my 2 boys (10 & 13). We all left at midnight for multiple reasons. (tired boys, 2 hour drive, son was part of worship team on Sunday) At the time, I guessed the show would not be over until after 2am, so we packed it up and went home.

I told my buddy who came with us for the first time that the show didn't get over until 3am. He responded, "you just can't do that to people." We all had fun, but that pretty much sums up my thoughts. Hopefully in the future, they will get this scheduled out better. I will not be back for the 4 crown if they expect to do it the same way again.

Simply put, nothing went wrong. There was no rain. There were no really long red flags. It was a picture perfect day in September. If they expected to run the whole program without working the track, then that was foolish. If they did expect to work the track, then it should have been planned into the program with an earlier start for hot laps, a break to work the track, and then racing. Even if they didn't have to work the track and went directly into heats after quals, the show couldn't have been over until 1:30am.

5 members like this post: duel, luckybuc97, ronmil, trannyman, WinglessLovers
9/26/16, 9:34 AM   #63
Eatin Dirt

Was excited about going to the 4 Crown and seeing the different cars all together, but knew I had to get up Sunday morning at 7:00 to play in a golf outing. With a 2:15 ride home I hung in there as long as I could and we left after the sprint feature and was on the road at 1:15. Love going to Eldora and was also planning to go back in a couple weeks for the Sprintacular but I am afraid it will be more of the same. However with the season about over it will be hard to not go.

9/26/16, 9:44 AM   #64
motorhead748

I went Friday but did not go Saturday as I had a pretty good idea how it'd go. Even taking the 2 hr track prep out if the equation it would have not been over till 1:00 am which to me is too late.
All the cars have transponders... Why can't they qualify more cars than once ? A lot of tracks/series do it

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, trannyman
9/26/16, 3:21 PM   #65
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I started a thread about group qualifying last week and got a lot of well thought out input. Some of us at Haubstadt were less than overwhelmed by the group qualifying at the Haubstaudt Hustler. After sitting through the very long program at the Four Crown Nationals, I feel this is one race that would have definitely benifitted by using group qualifying. It wouldn't have solved all the time issues, but it would have helped some. It was a shame that so many people left early and missed the excellent racing. A lot of those people will probably not ever return to Eldora. Next year I hope they think their time schedule through a little better. I have attended most of the Four Crowns since the beginning under all the different formats, and the current format had worked well the last few years. Biggest difference this year was the fourth class with a full field of cars. Although I am a non-wing guy, I enjoyed the ASCOC cars. Can Rico Abreu wheel a winged sprint car (and midget) or what!!?? Wow! Too bad he had the problem in the winged car. The track announcer mentioned that Rico set a new track record for eight laps in the midget, but he didn't tell it what it was. It would have been nice to have that info. The Four Crown is one of the best bargains in auto racing. Only $34 for a reserved Patio seat with a back is a real steal. Hope we can have the same weather next year, and a better time schedule.

2 members like this post: bigsby, bmemmer
9/26/16, 3:55 PM   #66
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
Loved the classes and the program, agreed that the track needed reworked. The only problem is the actual time. Here is my solution, next year start hot laps and tt at noon or 1:00. After that's done you have the afternoon to rework the track and restart at 7:00. You can have your autograph session between sessions to give folks something to do. Folks that don't want to spend all day can come late, go back to the camper, or go shopping for racing shirts. Keep the Outlaws on Friday and the All-Stars on Saturday. Like it or not, they help draw the crowd.
Absolutely! Back when the World 100, or even the DLM Dream, was just a one day show they did time trials for the 100+ cars early. Then there was a break in the action and they farmed the track. Sun got low and away they went with the heats and so on.

It's not like it's a weekday race and people can't be there earlier. If you refuse to get there at noon then you're not a true fan anyways.

9/26/16, 4:20 PM   #67
Sprintcarfanatic

Maybe they should have unloaded the haulers & parked them on the hill.

I also noticed that they parked the smaller haulers along that back row as to not block the track.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown updates