IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lburg, sprint week
7/23/19, 9:46 AM   #31
Re: Lburg, sprint week
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I really don't know what to say, The track was heavier than it's been the other times i've went this year, Remember I missed a few being in the hospital or not feeling well. At least two of em I went too the track was almost too smooth. The one Ballou won and the one JJ Hughes won, I wasn't there but Im told it was great at the Ballou win race.

The sport has changed and changed a lot, The cars are so much tighter. Used to be people like Stanley, Jones and others would have blasted above that cushion and after a couple laps, had their own groove wore in. Last I seen it was Josh Hodges a couple years ago two or three times at the Soudrette and Gaines memorials. Garrett Abrams and Gulick would try all different kinds of lines and I've even seen Windom go in on the wall in one and make a huge straight out of two and the back straight. Midgets weeks have been bottom to wall and three story sliders.

Just seems like sometimes it's either faster or safer to just to run the just below the cushion or that nobody's willing to vear from that line.

As for Windom having a chance? IDK he pulled even a couple times but it wasn't at times he had a run going in.

Midgets changed a long time ago, It's momentum racing and if your even, you don't let off. Honestly hate to see Sprints coming to that.

Bacon didn't have a lot of time to work on the car after the heat rear end problem. but like I said all them guys up front have a ton of laps on the Burg. Grant used to come down with Hery's car all the time and even with Baldwin, Short ran with us all year a couple years back. Windom started on the old track, Leary came down ran a few did well and won the championship and comes on off USAC nights sometimes. Bacon all the USAC shows and a few others with Hoffman Test or other cars, Was here midget week with the 410 car sprint.

I love this sport and like I said in another post, everyone see's it their own way. I honestly don't like the glass smooth tracks very much, Maybe why THAT, LPS, BURG, a heavy Bloomington, Portsmouth RWP are some of my favorites. It usually means all the cars out there aren't just running qualifying laps, But actually searching and finding faster lines.

All in all, Like the original post. I seen a race, It was run efficiently and some tracks would have canceled on forecast alone (Maybe not sprint week) but I've seen it done way too often. 2006 Sprint Week, there was a 100% chance of rain at the burg, Dozens of campers, thousands of fans and they cancelled due to a line of storms across IN that never hit. (Not this promotor)

Thanks Rudy and Kim. for a great night. See you at LPS!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/23/19 at 10:54 AM.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, erich45, Ricks Pics
7/23/19, 12:57 PM   #32
Re: Lburg, sprint week
Rob11

Outstanding!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lburg, sprint week