IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Speedway (IL) Lightning Sprints/DII Friday July 3
6/30/15, 4:51 PM   #1
Lincoln Speedway (IL) Lightning Sprints/DII Friday July 3
kdobson

This Friday July 3rd Lincoln Speedway will be hosting a ILSS/ IMRA special event. Lincoln Speedway has raised the purse to $500 to win and $80 to start. In addition Lincoln will pay an extra $100 for the highest finishing Ecotech in the feature. Also remember that the front row challenge is now up to an extra $900 if you go to the back and win. Come join us for a exciting night of racing at the Lincoln Speedway Lincoln Il.

2 members like this post: DAD, dirt40
7/1/15, 9:05 AM   #2
Shreffler21

Is there any entry fee ? Do u have to be a member ?

7/1/15, 10:52 AM   #3
zeromotorsports

Zero motorsports has 2 Ecotec midgets for rent at this race. Call or text for more info 214-714-1747

7/1/15, 7:41 PM   #4
jay mcquinn

No you don't have to be a member and no entry fee/pill draw fees.

7/4/15, 3:45 PM   #5
zeromotorsports

28 cars last night. Anyone have the complete results of last night's A?

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/5/15, 2:03 PM   #6
Re: Lincoln Speedway (IL) Lightning Sprints/DII Friday July
DAD

That turn out sounds great. I sure hope they had some good racing. With a car count like that the promoter should be able to start the whole remaining field in the main to make a better race for the fans. I have been preaching for several years now mostly on IOW about how close these two groups are and how they can only enhance Midget racing for everyone. These are pretty distinct yet very different forms of race car that can make one another better. Competition will improve the breed. The fastest form may not be the car of choice but be dictated by the cost of ownership. They are so close in performance at this time that I don't see a mass exodus from one style to another.

I do see vendors on the outside looking in and biting at the bit trying to see if they can capitalize on the little automotive motors. That could pose problems if the organizers and rule makers are not careful.

I would like for them go so far as to even to include the older Midget power plants like the VW, Pontiac's, Iron Dukes, Sesco etc into the mix. Think of all of these cars sitting in barns around the country owned by people that would rather race them than display them. This would give the young racing public a chance to go back a few decades and retrace their roots.

The small automotive 4 valve motor is the Midget Motor of the future. Lets hope it can grow into viable form of racing and bring several classes of Midget racers with it.

Honest Dad himself

7/5/15, 10:30 PM   #7
Re: Lincoln Speedway (IL) Lightning Sprints/DII Friday July
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

With Montpelier dark this week and Salem a rainout my options for racing were Lincoln on Friday or 35 on Saturday, almost identical drives in opposite directions. A few things helped me choose Lincoln. $200 more to win and $50 more to start didn't hurt. Johnny Murdock was gonna be there and he had a wheel I bought from him to pick up and I enjoyed my trip out to Sycamore last year to run with the IMRA; even though a wreck in hotlaps severely limited my performance in the Main, I met a great bunch and wanted another chance to mix it up with them.
Things started for me almost as badly as they had my last trip to Illinois as I lost drive pulling out for hotlaps; fortunately the first thing I tried, adjusting the clutch cable, made me look like a diagnostic genius and I was able to make the call for my heat, where I lined up 6th. Lacking any time on a strange track I spent most of the race hunting for a line but managed to keep the leaders in sight for a change and came home roughly where I started, albeit out of a transfer. The Zonker felt like she had more drive off the corners; could it be the clutch has been slipping for a season and a half? Maybe it's not just me...
As we were preparing for the "B" Tom and Mitchell Davis came over and asked if we needed anything (I should mention here that Tom was one of the guys who came to my rescue at Sycamore last year, probably spending more time helping me put my front end together, along with Travis Pence and the Hulls, than he did working on Mitch's car). I said "Well, you can help Adrienne (the Able-Bodied Pit Doll) push me out", and then Tom looked over at Mitch and asked "What lines were working for you?" to which Mitchell responded that if he came in about the middle in one and cut down to the bottom he was getting a killer drive out of two, but it was better to stay higher in three and four.
I took my spot inside of row 5 and when the green flew I had to keep to the bottom in one and two but coming into three I went up higher to set up for the next lap. Entering about halfway up the banking I set the car, rotated and headed for the pole, nailed the throttle and shot off the corner just like Mitchell said I would. I worked around a couple of cars up high and repeated on the next lap. This was fun! I'm not sure if it was that lap or the next but I was above 3 cars in 3 and 4 and it looked like my momentum was going to carry me past them when all of a sudden Johnny flew up out of the bottom groove and If I hadn't nailed the brakes I would've t-boned him. That spin put me to the back but on the restart I was back on it and running better than I ever have. I don't know how many of the 12 laps were in but coming out of 2 I could count the cars in front of me and realized I was 6th, and gaining on 4th and 5th. They were going to take the top 4; I....could....transfer!
Coming into 3 the red 40 (sorry, didn't get the name, but I think it's Tyler Kendall's old car) looked like he had left me just enough room to stick it under him so I took the Zonker down there but I waited just a hair too long to set the car sideways so we banged wheels and I spun again trying to stay off of him. Dang. At least he kept going so I didn't spoil someone else's night.
But the drama wasn't quite over; after I refired, knowing I was done, going down the back straight the corner worker waved for me to go out the back gate so assuming I was clear, I made the hard right when suddenly I found myself going over for no apparent reason. As shocked as I was that I was flipping I was just as shocked when my last minute jerk of the wheel to the left set me down like I was in the Joie Chitwood Thrill Show. I found out later that at the same time they motioned me off the track they told the pink 76 (again, forgot the name) to catch up to the field so he was roaring up the outside just as I was pulling off and again, fast application of the brake on his part kept things from being much worse as I just managed to ride over his quickly-decelerating left front with my right rear.
Pretty long-winded for a guy who didn't even make the Feature but even though I didn't I had a blast, got reacquainted with some great folks, learned a couple of things about my ability to react under pressure, found out I have a pretty good race car if I drive it correctly and put the car on the trailer just about ready to go to Union County next Friday. For me, my friends, that is what it's all about. Thanks to Roger Sollenberger for letting me come out and play and thanks to Roger, and to Tracy Hull and the folks at IMRA for getting together to stage a terrific night of racing.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 7/5/15 at 10:38 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, tandtinc2424
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Speedway (IL) Lightning Sprints/DII Friday July 3